FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By sagi58
Thought I'd post the link to the obituary; but, the pictures and their captions are fascinating enough that I wanted to share them.

- Originally published in the May 5 1994 edition of AUTOSPORT's sister publication Motoring (now Motorsport) News, David Tremayne. wrote:">
Ayrton Senna: The original obituary
Twenty years after the death of Ayrton Senna, we republish the original obituary written by DAVID TREMAYNE for Motoring News in the hours following the accident

..."Senna was the most committed man I ever met."...

..."Senna was often embroiled in battles on- and off-track © LAT"...

..."Martin Donnelly's horrific crash changed Senna © LAT"...

..."Senna had a mixed relationship with the media © LAT"...

..."Senna never lacked aggression © LAT"...

..."An infamous clash handed Senna the title in 1990 © LAT"...

..."Senna made his F1 debut with Toleman on home ground in 1984 © LAT"...

..."Victories came in 1985 with Lotus © LAT"...

..."Senna was one of the greatest exponents of the flat-out qualifying lap © LAT"...

..."Prost was arguably the only true match for Senna in their era © LAT"...

..."Frank Williams was always in awe of Senna © LAT"...

..."A flawed genius he undoubtedly was, but last weekend, just as in 1968 and again in 1982, motor racing lost one of the greatest kings it will ever know. To many - especially those with whom he worked - Ayrton Senna will always be the greatest."

By sagi58
If you go to Autosport, you have to subscribe; but, this site seems to be carrying the full article, without a subscription! :confused:

wrote:">
Senna: the team manager's story

AUTOSPORT begins this week's commemoration of the 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death with the memories of IAN HARRISON, then team manager at Williams

..."Harrison with Senna on the Williams pitwall at Aida © LAT"...

..."Harrison went to find Senna after his Aida tangle © LAT"...

..."Harrison is convinced the safety car was a factor in the accident © LAT"...

..."Harrison joins Hill on an emotional Barcelona podium © LAT"...

Last edited by sagi58 on 05 May 14, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
By sagi58
, David Coulthard wrote:">Ayrton Senna death: David Coulthard - I owe him my career

On the morning of Sunday, 1 May 1994, I received a fax from Ayrton Senna.

I was Williams' test driver at the time and had worked with Senna during the winter. It was the days before email, and the fax was signed by all the key members of the Williams team, wishing me luck for my Formula 3000 race that weekend. I thought that was lovely.

Ayrton's message was: "Very best to you." Of course, that stood out for me, as a young fan.

I watched the San Marino Grand Prix between F3000 practice sessions in the truck belonging to the tyre supplier, saw Senna's crash, and remember thinking: "That doesn't look good."

It had already been a terrible weekend at Imola, with Rubens Barrichello's nasty crash on Friday, and Roland Ratzenberger's fatal one on Saturday. There was death in the air, and that's part of what made Senna's accident so shocking.

I don't remember who told me Ayrton had been killed, but I do remember a tabloid journalist coming up and saying: "Are you going to get the drive?"

I hadn't had chance to talk to the team, and I have no idea how I handled it. I was quite shy back then - certainly not as gobby as I am today.

Williams ran only Damon Hill in the next race in Monaco, but it was obvious they were going to need another driver. However, at no point was I thinking: "This is my opportunity." In fact, I told my manager not to ask Williams that question. It was just not appropriate.

Gilles :(
I think it was Gilles......
By sagi58
It may well be, I don't know and too tired to Google it lol

wrote:">Gilles Villeneuve

Born (1950-01-18)18 January 1950
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada
Died 8 May 1982(1982-05-08) (aged 32)
Leuven, Belgium

See our F1 related articles too!