FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Well, I have never been to formula 1 live before. And I just want to endure the thrill and noise of the cars. So I thought I would book P1 and P2 on Friday as you get roving grandstand tickets! Just asking what it is like, is it busy with people? are the cars out alot? I want to sit at the international pits straight in a good seat, would this be easy to get to? and on the friday what time would I need to get there to get good seats in that stand? what is the traffic like?

Thanks x
By racechick
I usually go to Silverstone on the Sat and Sunday( work commitments for me or others preventing going on the Friday) the last two years we've watched quali from the international pit straight. And we had to get there early, it filled up quickly. It's not actually my favourite place to watch from, it feels quite claustrophobic and you can only see the cars on that bit of straight track, you can't see anywhere else, I'd never watch the actual race from there. And you can't see Into the pits as well as you could from the old pit straight. Some teams you can't see at all they're not opposite the grandstand. That said, year before last, when there was a big delay in quali for rain, it was good fun watching from there because the teams were interacting with the stands. Probably won't be quite as busy on the Friday but they do sell a lot of three day tickets, that's what I get. You should get to see the cars a lot, two practise sessions and there'll be support races on as well. The atmosphere is amazing, you'll have a great time. Get there early, there's loads to see.
You can ask me. I went from 2003 to 2012, missed last year due to financial issues as we had our house revamped but this year, business is resumed :) Yeah it can be busy, I mean I remember 2012 when people had to stand to watch it because they needed shelter for the rain. I mean, we go to Luffield and wherever we're closest too on the Friday, we're gonna try and grab a seat at the Pit Straight this year for Quali...There are a few seats missing from where we go on the Friday but that's about it, I say it's pretty packed for the Friday. If you want to get good seats, you'd need to be in your grandstands pretty early-ish. I know people will be chomping at the bit to try and get the best seats possible if you have Roving Grandstand Tickets (And believe me, we're competitive too). Maybe 8ish-9ish would be a good chance to get somewhere wonderful but for us, we always choose Luffield for Practice 1 and it's not filled out much there...

I say the session with the least attendance is P3, I don't know what it was like for you RC, I mean we always sit at Copse for P3
By racechick
If you want a popular grandstand for quali you need to be in it for p3 otherwise it's full up. That was the case last two years for the international pit straight. It's nice to watch the pitlane action on quali day from there but I don't think it's a good place to watch the race from.
Thanks for the advise :D See I'd always assume you'd have to be there for P3 as well if you want to be there for Quali, like it's not really a must for us but now if we want to, I'll take your word for it :)
By sagi58
Thanks for the advise :D See I'd always assume you'd have to be there for P3 as well if you want to be there for Quali, like it's not really a must for us but now if we want to, I'll take your word for it :)

:confused: Am I missing something? :confused:
Isn't Qualifying actually P3? :confused:
By racechick

P3 is the sat morning practice before quali.

You can roam around all you like on quali day visiting different grandstands but if you want a good seat for quali you need to be in it early. It's got worse the last few years.
By sagi58

You can roam around all you like on quali day visiting different grandstands but if you want a good seat for quali you need to be in it early. It's got worse the last few years.

The lack of sleep, resulting in a migraine, is at fault!
I actually was thinking of the three parts of Qualifying!! :banghead:
By racechick

You have a good excuse , you were up early! I often make the same mistake confusing my p's and q's :)
By sagi58

You have a good excuse , you were up early! I often make the same mistake confusing my p's and q's :)

Just as long as we remember to cross our t's and dot our i's!! :)
If you want a popular grandstand for quali you need to be in it for p3 otherwise it's full up.

Or you could get the 3 day club silverstone ticket and have your seat reserved for every session ;) (you also need to part with a little more money)
By racechick
If you want a popular grandstand for quali you need to be in it for p3 otherwise it's full up.

Or you could get the 3 day club silverstone ticket and have your seat reserved for every session ;) (you also need to part with a little more money)

Yeah, sod that.

See our F1 related articles too!