FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By What's Burning?
Automobile Magazine Porsche 960 The Porsche 960, known internally as "FeFi" (for "Ferrari fighter") is moving full speed ahead. We last reported that the car would employ a high-output flat six, but that engine, although frugal and light, was deemed insufficient for a vehicle that will likely cost as much as twelve-cylinder cars like the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the Lamborghini Aventador. The solution: a boxer eight. Word has it that Volkswagen Group chief Ferdinand Piech approved this application. Piech used to drive a one-off Porsche 914 equipped with a boxer eight-cylinder, and, more recently, the chairman was said to be driving a Cayman fitted with a flat eight. Featuring four turbochargers, two intercoolers, four adjustable camshafts, a complex multistage intake manifold, and dual-stage exhaust, the 3.9-liter engine is expected to deliver 650 hp. It will be mounted low in the middle of the car, connecting to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. The 960 relies on an aluminum-intensive architecture supported by steel, carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium, and other composite elements to keep weight to about 3000 pounds. Porsche is resisting high-tech, heavy add-ons such as the 918's electric motors. All-wheel drive made the cut and adds close to 200 pounds but earns its keep by getting the power to the ground -- 0 to 60 mph allegedly takes only 2.5 seconds. An even more raw, rear-wheel-drive GT edition may follow. No convertible, for now. The design, forecast above by our illustrator, should hew closely to that of the 918, but the underlying architecture will be shared with everything from the next Boxster to the Aventador's successor. Unlike the 918, this won't be a limited-run model. Porsche thinks it can sell 3000 to 4000 of them annually over a six-year life cycle. Production in Zuffenhausen will likely commence in early 2017.

By spankyham
FeFi, I like that. :hehe:

Will we see a PoFi from Maranello in 2018?
By What's Burning?
The Jeremy Clarkson exhibit at the Porsche Museum.
[youtube]NtvznK2wk6I[/youtube]
By spankyham
Interesting how it hasn't changed much in length compared to F1 cars.
By CookinFlat6
[youtube]D_cHky99TNc[/youtube]

Clarkson name change could just be on the agenda :hehe:
By CookinFlat6
P1 has those as well, but the 918s look better and the positioning brings new meaning to the expression 'eat my dust' for those behind it when it takes off :hehe:
By 1Lemon
Because of parking spots? :angelgrin:

Are you suggesting Porsche drivers park in the parking spots like normal people, and don't feel like overly entitled arses who need to park diagonally across 3 spaces? Because it's only about 50% of porsche drivers who are actually good drivers who know how to park.
By stonemonkey

Are you suggesting Porsche drivers park in the parking spots like normal people, and don't feel like overly entitled arses who need to park diagonally across 3 spaces? Because it's only about 50% of porsche drivers who are actually good drivers who know how to park.

That's usually BMW and Audi drivers that do that in my street, mind you, I've not seen many Porsches parked in my street, if any.
By 1Lemon

That's usually BMW and Audi drivers that do that in my street, mind you, I've not seen many Porsches parked in my street, if any.

BMW drivers generally know how to park (Unless it's those big fake 4X4s but I reckon they are the exact size of a parking space), but they seem to have problems driving more than 3.75 inches from the rear of your car whilst you're doing 77MPH (I never drive faster than that, oh no.)
By stonemonkey

BMW drivers generally know how to park (Unless it's those big fake 4X4s but I reckon they are the exact size of a parking space), but they seem to have problems driving more than 3.75 inches from the rear of your car whilst you're doing 77MPH (I never drive faster than that, oh no.)

Not in my street, it's angled parking and they're like ////// \ ////// or about 3/4 of a car width away from the street bins.
By What's Burning?
Can you guys take this conversation to the BMW drivers or Audi drivers thread. :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!