FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

... I think the big rule change and more unstable cars plus the loss of Whitmarsh are exposing Jensons weakness' . Weaknesses that he's been able to hide quite successfully...

I guess F1 drivers are no different than you and I, eh? We all have weaknesses and we accommodate/adapt to them, as best we can! :thumbup:
If this was last years Mclaren team, Sergio would have been 12th and Button would blame the team call or the car lacking downforce or grip

As it is he has to admit the tyre gamble exploring the myth of changeable conditions cleverness as pure gambling as an alternative to on track speed and hence bravery
Yes stunning debut so far for this young man :yes:

Yup, pretty good so far. Hopefully, he'll move up through the top 10 during the race.
Kevin Magnussen is being very hard on himself after that race, however, when you look at it, he's still done a pretty sterling job. Fair enough, he clattered into the back of Raikkonen and had to drive many laps with a damaged front wing. It visibly lost him pace, and on top of that, he had the extra 5 second penalty.

So to pull it back to 9th after loosing so much time is a pretty decent effort. Obviously, he points out that he could've advanced up the order in the same way that Jenson Button did, but this is his second race, and he has a lot to be pleased about.
He is being hard on himself. But he put his hand straight up and apologised to the team. Somehow I don't think the team will be displeased with him. He's doing great!
He should not be hard on himself, he had a racing incident that comes with racing and not jumping out of the way, similar to many Lewis has had. Despite all the time lost he still ended up right behind his teammate pretty much at the cars place in the peckng order. His talent will pay off especially if he is able to qualify well every race
He is being hard on himself. But he put his hand straight up and apologised to the team. Somehow I don't think the team will be displeased with him. He's doing great!

You're right, he was hard on himself and apologizing to the team is the best way to move forward!
Unfortunately, the race stewards didn't see this as a "live and learn" life lesson, since they gave
him the stop-and-go penalty and points against his super licence.

wrote:">Magnussen disappointed with himself

The McLaren driver, who had finished on the podium in his first Formula 1 race in Australia, made contact with the right rear tyre of Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari during the opening lap.

As a result of the incident, Raikkonen got a puncture and Magnussen was forced to pit to replace his front wing.

The rookie was also given a five-second stop-and-go penalty for the crash, and has been given two penalty points on his licence...
Last edited by sagi58 on 31 Mar 14, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Magnussen is being very hard on himself after that race... he clattered into the back of Raikkonen and had to drive many laps with a damaged front wing. It visibly lost him pace, and on top of that, he had the extra 5 second penalty.

I have to disagree with you here Lew. I just watched the replay again a few times and Kimi bore considerably more blame from that incident than Kevin did. The penalty was completely uncalled for.
Kevin Magnussen is being very hard on himself after that race... he clattered into the back of Raikkonen and had to drive many laps with a damaged front wing. It visibly lost him pace, and on top of that, he had the extra 5 second penalty.

I have to disagree with you here Lew. I just watched the replay again a few times and Kimi bore considerably more blame from that incident than Kevin did. The penalty was completely uncalled for.

Apologies for the wording, I didn't mean to apportion blame on Magnussen.
It looked to me a racing incident......which sadly spoilt both their races. Mag put his hand up, Maybe mindful of other young drivers that have stood their ground/ fought their corner and then end up getting it in the neck. He's a wise young man, and a fast one. He'll be back!
I like this guy but I think we can conclude he's not the next Lewis Hamilton. What happened to him in Bahrain, all I saw was him being passed by everyone and eventually retiring. It was his teammate who was looking like the racing driver today.
I agree, don't know if he he had a car issue, didn't he clip Kimi again? Button was master at McLaren on Sunday.
The guy has exactly 3 race F1 career, in an era of no testing, at a new track in a Macca lacking DF. He is doing better than any other 3 race F1 veteran I can remember and 10x better than his 2450 race veteran teammate did when he started in an era of unlimited testing

Button couldnt warm up his mediums and went backwards after the SC. He would have finished out of the points anyway and probably retired to save face
The guy has exactly 3 race F1 career, in an era of no testing, at a new track in a Macca lacking DF. He is doing better than any other 3 race F1 veteran I can remember and 10x better than his 2450 race veteran teammate did when he started in an era of unlimited testing

Kvyat is doing very very well for a 3 race veteran too, but yes I agree totally before people start putting him down remember Hamilton had done hundreds of miles in testing before he started and Mag probably did 1/10th of that.

Button couldnt warm up his mediums and went backwards after the SC. He would have finished out of the points anyway and probably retired to save face

I still rate Kevin very highly,super racer and super start to the season. But to be fair to Button it wasn't cos he couldnt warm the tyres( that's what I first thought when he was getting mugged) it was his gearbox, wouldn't change properly then gave up.

See our F1 related articles too!