FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Ron Dennis on Kevin Magnussen:

"He has all the ingredients necessary to win the world championship but he has to be in a competitive car," said Dennis.

"One race is one race. We will see how four races go.

"But I don't have any concerns about his temperament, his focus or his commitment. And he is prepared to make whatever sacrifices are necessary - that is very clear.

"He has a phenomenal mentor in Jenson, they get on very well. He will keep Jenson honest."

Dennis said the Dane's performance also justified his promotion to the team at the expense of Sergio Perez.

"I don't think he could have done a better job," Dennis said of Magnussen.

"He made no mistakes at all throughout the weekend. He never put a wheel off the track, followed all the instructions but pushed very hard at the right times.

"I have nothing but praise for him. Third place [on the road] in your first grand prix, with the complexity of the regulations [and] a challenging qualifying in both wet and dry conditions - who could ask for more?

"It justified the selection process.

"Giving him the opportunity, [it] is always difficult to take those decisions as you can be wrong, and I am pleased that this one was right."

Below is a list of all drivers who have finished on the podium on their Grand Prix debut.

Kevin Magnussen is number 17, the first since Lewis Hamilton managed it at Melbourne, for McLaren, back in 2007.

Giuseppe Farina 1st Britain 1950
Luigi Fagioli 2nd Britain 1950
Reg Parnell 3rd Britain 1950
Alberto Ascari 2nd Monaco 1950
Dorino Serafini 2nd Italy 1950*
Peter Whitehead 3rd France 1950
Jean Behra 3rd Switzerland 1952
Karl Kling 2nd France 1954
Masten Gregory 3rd Monaco 1957
Giancarlo Baghetti 1st France 1961
Peter Arundell 3rd Monaco 1964
Mike Parkes 2nd France 1966
Reine Wisell 3rd USA 1970
Mark Donohue 3rd Canada 1971
Jacques Villeneuve 2nd Australia 1996
Lewis Hamilton 3rd Australia 2007
Kevin Magnussen 2nd Australia 2014

*Shared drive with Ascari
So, statistically, Kevin could be seen as one of the most successful F1 drivers on the grid.....

100% Podium finishes is one hell of an achievement.
So, statistically, Kevin could be seen as one of the most successful F1 drivers on the grid.....

100% Podium finishes is one hell of an achievement.

Lewis could've boasted this record even after 8 races in his rookie season. :thumbup: Let's see what Kevin can do from here.
Haven't been online much, as we've had some "bad news"; but, I just this response by Ron Dennis regarding Magnussen.
He seems to be cautiously optimistic about Magnussen and I found his comments on the young driver's characteristics interesting.

Apologies if it's been posted, already.

wrote:">Dennis: Magnussen can be World Champion

McLaren Group CEO Ron Dennis reckons Kevin Magnussen has what it takes to become a Formula 1 World Champion, following the Dane's impressive debut podium finish at the Australian Grand Prix.

Having secured a place on the second row of the grid, Magnussen went on to claim third in Sunday afternoon's race, only to be promoted to second when Red Bull rival Daniel Ricciardo was disqualified for a fuel flow breach.

Speaking after the season opener, Dennis hailed Magnussen's confident performance, explaining: "He has all the ingredients necessary to win a World Championship, although he has to be in a competitive car."

He added: "It's only one race and we'll see where he is after four, but I don't have any concerns about his temperament, focus or commitment, and he is prepared to make whatever sacrifices are necessary."

With team-mate Jenson Button joining Magnussen in the top three after Ricciardo's exclusion, McLaren departed Melbourne with an eight-point advantage over Mercedes at the top of the Constructors' standings.
Q1 very impressive outing for Kevin. Never driven this track, poor conditions and all p3 time lost, and still he's over half a second ahead of his experienced team leader who is supposed to excel in these . Maybe Jens is saving himself for q3. But :clap: to Kevin for that effort.

Edit: And Kevin still beats his team mate with a broken car! What a guy!!
Very impressive session and attitude from Mag. Good feedback on how much rain, good choice of tyre and again maximising the cars performance. And once again comprehensively out classes his team leader who needs a gamble to match his rookie teammate.

If Mag had not had the off (due in part to never haven raced on this track in the wet plus missing practice) then his car would be better and his confidence higher and he could have moved up the grid.

Changing conditions, new to the track, lost practice session, a big off, yet is faster throughout than his team leader
Yes stunning debut so far for this young man :yes:
... Maybe Jens is saving himself for q3. But :clap: to Kevin for that effort.

He really is doing very well, eh? :clap: Do you think the difference between these teammates is their natural abilities or their age?
NOT that Button is old in the real world; but, in F1, he is one of the more experienced drivers (and, yes, there is something good
to be said for that)! Magnussen, on the other hand, seems to be more relaxed/at home with this car's handling. Maybe Button is just
trying to hard? Boh...
... Maybe Jens is saving himself for q3. But :clap: to Kevin for that effort.

He really is doing very well, eh? :clap: Do you think the difference between these teammates is their natural abilities or their age?
NOT that Button is old in the real world; but, in F1, he is one of the more experienced drivers (and, yes, there is something good
to be said for that)! Magnussen, on the other hand, seems to be more relaxed/at home with this car's handling. Maybe Button is just
trying to hard? Boh...

I think jan is the more talented and I think the big rule change and more unstable cars plus the loss of Whitmarsh are exposing Jensons weakness' . Weaknesses that he's been able to hide quite successfully .
If he was given a perfect car to suit his style he may well beat Mag, because in that situation he is fast and as you say he's experienced. But this is about developing a new car, dealing with it when it's not perfect and dealing with it in all conditions, and Jens isn't too good at that. A few myths getting exposed I think.

I hope they get mags car fixed for the race. I think they said something about the cage round the diffuser being damaged :confused:
I agree that even Jan is more talented at this stage than Button. But Kevin is even better than Jan :D

Mag on his first lap in a wet Malaysia quali, on the same tyres as Button is 0.5 secs faster, abnd then handles the changeable conditions better, and ends up 2.3 seconds ahead despite a repaired car

Mindboggling stuff
I agree that even Jan is more talented at this stage than Button. But Kevin is even better than Jan :D

Mag on his first lap in a wet Malaysia quali, on the same tyres as Button is 0.5 secs faster, abnd then handles the changeable conditions better, and ends up 2.3 seconds ahead despite a repaired car

Mindboggling stuff

Oops! :rofl: muddling up my Magnussens! A generation blip! :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!