FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By What's Burning?
MY PSA of the day; For the last 8 or 10 months I've been seeing the lighting system on my car seem very dim. The brights work well, the low beams are Bi-Xenon and I can see them up against the garage door, they're both on and seem okay but at night I can barely see anything more than 20 feet away. It got to the point where I was scared a couple of times and had to use the high beams oncoming traffic be dammed.

So WTF is wrong? I begin to do a bit of research and it seems that these bulbs don't really tend to burn out give you a clear indication that they need replacing. They just get dimmer with age. The xenon gas becomes inert and is just not as efficient lighting. Seventy five bucks a piece for each bulb and fifteen minutes each unit to replace and I can now see again. My gods what a difference and they faded away so gradually that I hadn't really noticed until they got very bad.

So it's recommended that you change these bulbs after 6 to 8 years regardless of whether they still light up or not.
By Jabberwocky
I was contemplating upgrading to some HIDS. Just not 100% about wanting to keep the car or not, so don't really want to outlay the cost until I decide.
I was contemplating upgrading to some HIDS. Just not 100% about wanting to keep the car or not, so don't really want to outlay the cost until I decide.

It's not worth the bother. Wire up a relay kit with direct power from the battery to power up your headlights and use 80 or 100 H4 bulbs. You'll get almost the same light output for 1/4th the cost and bulbs will cost you 10 bucks each.
By madbrad
Back in 2011 a workmate bought a new Mazda 6 that had HIDs. One burnt out after only 6 months of ownership. SO hey headlight bulbs are not covered under warranty. That's understandable if you have $10 bulbs in your car. These were $80, plus, you have to remove the bumper cover to get at it, so if you had the dealer do it, it's like 2 hours labour. Well he bitched loudly with all those other costumers sitting there, so they agreed to do it for free.
By Jabberwocky
I had a mk4 golf, when the bulb went, I had a search online for what bulb I needed. Anyway everything online said it was a pig of a job and the bumper would have to come off. So I though right if it comes to that, that is what I need to do. So I went to the local Halford to get the bulb (it was buy 1 get one free, otherwise I would not go near the place) next to the check out was a sign saying they would fit headlight bulbs for 6 quid. I thought bargain, 6 quid for them to go through the whole removing the bumper rubbish I will have that. Anyway the lad came out and went "oh a mk4 golf, I need some other tools" oh what a shame I thought. Anyway he brought his mate back out with him and a screw driver. It turned out his mate had the hands of a 3 year old and he changed the bulbs in about 30 seconds. I was gutted

Sent using NCC-1701
I thought. Anyway he brought his mate back out with him and a screw driver. It turned out his mate had the hands of a 3 year old

What DD wouldn't do for a mate with the hands of a 3 year old. Coming to think of it, what he wouldn't do for the mate with the screw driver as well. :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!