FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Congratulation to the Porsche factory team winning the GTLM class in the very first race entered with their new 911 RSR, great things to come for the year for Porsche with their Le Mans program for 2014, the 50th anniversary of the 911.

Tough call for Ferrari, with a time penalty costing the the win in the GTD class, they were deserving of that win and it was a horrible call by the stewards. Audi wins, but there's an asterisk to that one as far as I'm concerned.
Congratulation to the Porsche factory team winning the GTLM class in the very first race entered with their new 911 RSR, great things to come for the year for Porsche with their Le Mans program for 2014, the 50th anniversary of the 911.

Tough call for Ferrari, with a time penalty costing the the win in the GTD class, they were deserving of that win and it was a horrible call by the stewards. Audi wins, but there's an asterisk to that one as far as I'm concerned.

Would have loved to be able to watch the race. Followed it as best I could.

Congrats in the GTLM to Porsche 911 RSR, a well deserved win. It's always a little hard to lose on a penalty like that, but still, the team did really well and the 458's have shown they will again be competitive in their class. The variety at the top in the GT's is great to see and hopefully means another great year of racing ahead of us. :drink:
Well, it seems common sense prevailed and the penalty decision has been overturned. A little sad that the drivers missed being able to celebrate their win on the podium.

I think we are in for a great years racing :D
Glad to hear about the overturned descision, The Level 5 team was the head of the GTD class and well deserved that win. In the mean time let's get ready for the second coming. :wink:
[youtube]HOvA2SYIYiI[/youtube]
Le Mans 24 Hours – Eleven team players and three reserves for Ferrari

Maranello, 14 February –Eleven nominated with three reserves. A football team? No, the number of 458 GT2s Ferrari will enter to tackle the 82nd Le Mans 24 Hours, the most prestigious endurance race in the world.
In the GTE-Pro class, AF Corse, the reigning world champion team is entering two cars, the first in the hands of champion Gianmaria Bruni and the second for Scuderia test driver, Davide Rigon. Among the drivers who will contest the event with the team from Piacenza will certainly be Toni Vilander, while the others will be announced in the coming weeks. A third Ferrari will be competing in the same class, entered by the team which won the 2013 title in the European Le Mans Series. Ram Racing will field the Irish driver Matt Griffin, who was the ELMS champion last year, when sharing the 458 GT2 with Johnny Mowlem. The latter will be taking part in another car in the GTE-Am class, where a further seven cars are entered. Four of them are from the AF Corse stable and will be driven by Luis Perez Companc, Yannick Mallegol, Peter Mann and Steve Wyatt: the Australian gentleman racer won the right take to take part thanks to taking the GTC class win in the Asian Le Mans Series.

The French Sofrev Asp team, GTR team and driver champions in the 2013 Blancpain Endurance Series, will be taking part with a world champion, albeit a footballer. Fabien Barthez, part of the team that won the FIA World Cup in 19987, will be tackle the 24 Hours after having secured the drivers’ title in last year’s French GT championship teamed with Morgan Moulin-Traffort.
SMP Racing will also field a Maranello driver in the shape of Andrea Bertolini, while 8 Star Motorsports, reigning FIA WEC champions, will again be racing with the Venezuelan Vicente Potolicchio.
On the bench for the moment are three teams which, along with a further five, contribute their passion for flying the Prancing Horse flag in GT series around the world: JMW Motorsport, Team Taisan (GTE champions in the Asian Le Mans Series 2013) and Risi Competizione.
Just took a look at the list. It would have been fantastic to still have Peugeot in it in LMP1, that would have been pretty a pretty damned epic battle. I think the winner there may still be Audi, just too much experience to just give away the title the first year Porsche challenges them.

In the GT classes, it looks like Ferrari is trying to kill everyone with sheer numbers. The Porsche 911RSR is going to be tough with very strong teams competing. Let's see what drivers the factory assigned to which teams. Still a lot of blank spots to the drivers names.
Can this be a precursor to us seeing Peugeot return and Ferrari joining LMP1 next year? Toyota, Audi, Porsche, Lotus, Peugeot and Ferrari.
PARIS (Reuters) - PSA Peugeot Citroen and China's Dongfeng have agreed a 3 billion euro ($4.1 billion) capital tie-up that buys the French carmaker more time to turn its business around, brings in new management and ends two centuries of family control.

Peugeot and Dongfeng <0489.HK> have signed a non-binding outline agreement, two sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters before an official announcement set for Wednesday.

Peugeot Chief Executive Philippe Varin and former Renault executive Carlos Tavares, who will replace Varin when the deal is finalized, must now explain how the fresh capital can be used to improve the bottom line, analysts said.

"Expectations are running high," London-based ISI Group analyst Erich Hauser said in a note. "PSA (Peugeot) needs to show a new equity story to keep investors interested."

Both companies declined to comment.

Under the memorandum of understanding signed on Tuesday, Dongfeng Motor Group and the French state will each pay about 800 million euros for a 14-percent stake in a reserved share sale and a rights issue, sources have said.
I remember reading somewhere last year that a Russian guy was taking two Peugot chassis and trying to get Ferrari engines for an LMP2 team.

There is no denying that LMS is becoming more popular. No testing restrictions, no budget limits and far more open to creativity and alternative engineering solutions. The benefits of this are showing in its growth in popularity with both teams and fans.
I'm going to the 6 hours of Silverstone in April. This will be my first time at a endurance / sportscar event.

Just wondering about the noise levels. I hate using ear plugs so I usually bring ear defenders to races. Problem is they're a bulky nuisance to be carrying around. I definitely need them for F1 but have found that they're not necessary for Superbikes. How loud is the W.E.C.?
I'm going to the 6 hours of Silverstone in April. This will be my first time at a endurance / sportscar event.

Just wondering about the noise levels. I hate using ear plugs so I usually bring ear defenders to races. Problem is they're a bulky nuisance to be carrying around. I definitely need them for F1 but have found that they're not necessary for Superbikes. How loud is the W.E.C.?

You don't need them for F1 anymore
I was lucky enough to be able to tour the Porsche East Coast Distribution Center last Sunday. It's basically one of three warehouse and training facilities in NA. They brought in various guest speakers one of which was a representative from PFC, they make the brakes for Porsche GTLM and GTA and the various Porsche spec series globally.

They mentioned something amazing. Porsche criteria for braking was that a vendor demonstrate they could provide a solution that would go from 180 Mph down to 60, 600 times consecutively. No vendor had ever been able to do this before until they achieved this, and it's now the system being used for the GT America, GTLM and GT3 cars.

Porsche is the largest manufacturer of race cars in the world supporting 40 global championship efforts. :clap:
We didn't talk at all about Sebring, I guess because it was also an F1 weekend but.... :cloud9:

Porsche have taken a double victory in the second round of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, with a sweep of the GT Le Mans and GT Daytona classes in the 62nd Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

The No. 912 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR matched the feat achieved by the sister No. 911 entry at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, taking the win in the second straight round of the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup. Patrick Long and Jorg Bergmeister, Porsche’s longtime pairing, teamed with Sebring debutante and class polesitter Michael Christensen to secure the victory.

Le Mans is looking very Porsche-esque.
The writing on the top of that car really makes a very nice livery quite ugly.
I really wanted to watch at least some of the Sebring event. The racing has been so good in the various LM classes. Congrats to the Porsche boys in both GT classes. Pity the Risi suffered some damage as they were leading the premier GTs - that was shaping into write a race.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

See our F1 related articles too!