FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing. They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.

Dario Franchitti

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/9976639/dario-franchitti-told-doctors-no-longer-race
Unfortunate that it had to happen as a result of injury, but I am glad to see Dario take the decision to retire at this time. He has had a long and successful career in AOWR, there is no reason for him to risk further injury by continuing to race. Dario has been a great ambassador for the sport and I hope to see his continued involvement in some way. :clap:
I can't imagine how Franchitti must feel; but, in the end, when facing this sort of decision
it's great to see he recognizes that it's "only" the driving side of racing!!

Good Luck, Dario!! :wavey:
It is indeed terrible that Dario has had to retire in this way. I've followed his career ever since he moved over the pond, and he'a always been one of my favourite racers - very intelligent driver who could always read a race throughout and find a strategy to win - in fact the way that he raced could draw huge similarities with an 'Alain Prost' or similar.

However, awful as it is - he will make an almost full recovery, and indeed at least he is having to make this decision at the age of 40, with a stellar career behind him, multiple championships, many many big race victories, coming out on top of every rivalry he's ever had, and with nothing really left to achieve. So horrible as it is, at least he isn't in the position of a Kubica, with all the potential in the world sadly never to be realised.

I applaud Dario Franchitti - an amazing British / Scottish ambassador in racing.
And so the rumour Mill starts. Paul di resta to replace Dario, being reported he has been offered a seat.
He turned away Ashley as she visited him in the hospital so the rumour mill says. Well, not turned away, but declined to reconcile.
I read that same set of lines.

Then I read the lines that followed. He's not interested. besides he's had a girlfriend for a long time. Maybe even before they separated LOL.

See our F1 related articles too!