FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LiamCatterson
Well that's good that Massa is in Williams AND He is Number One Driver at last! The question is, what now for Pastor? With Quantum dealed with Lotus, it seems that Hulk will come to Lotus and the strong rumours of Kevin Magnunnsen replacing Sergio, there is always the link that Pastor could join Sauber
By LiamCatterson
Exactly...What about him? Will he shoved away? Will he join Sauber again and Maldonado gone? If Kevin is going, someone from The Hulk, Checo or Pastor is not driving next year
By NHcheese
Mercedes is now the only team not to change their drivers. Checo to Lotus, trust me. Maldonado is out, happy Bottas.
By NHcheese
Magnussen in means someone out of F1.
By LewEngBridewell
Good news for Felipe. Hopefully he will have a strong run at Williams now. :)

It will be strange seeing him in dark blue & white overalls. I hope he has a happier time at Grove.
By racechick
I'm pleased Felipe has that drive. And did I read Smedley was going with him?
By Roth
If Williams pulled a Brawn do you think Massa would have the chops to get the job done?
By LRW

There are a few websites saying he is - but nothing more than speculation from what I can see.

The only official comment I could find from Williams was as follows:

Claire Williams told the BBC “They don’t come as a package, they come separately. They are very much their own people. So if Rob Smedley was to join our team, it has to be on his terms, and he has to be given a role he wants to do and that may or may not be Felipe’s race engineer. Felipe is grown-up enough to join a team without bringing his race engineer with him."
By LiamCatterson
If Williams pulled a Brawn do you think Massa would have the chops to get the job done?

Well if he can out-qualify Nando, I am sure that he can do the job
By Jabberwocky

There are a few websites saying he is - but nothing more than speculation from what I can see.

The only official comment I could find from Williams was as follows:

Claire Williams told the BBC “They don’t come as a package, they come separately. They are very much their own people. So if Rob Smedley was to join our team, it has to be on his terms, and he has to be given a role he wants to do and that may or may not be Felipe’s race engineer. Felipe is grown-up enough to join a team without bringing his race engineer with him."

Sky showed an interview with Smedley saying he did not want to be the oldest race engineer in the paddock and that he was looking for a new challenge. Sounds like he is looking for a head of race engineering role

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By LRW
Sky showed an interview with Smedley saying he did not want to be the oldest race engineer in the paddock and that he was looking for a new challenge. Sounds like he is looking for a head of race engineering role

Yeah, I think I remember his saying similar at an interview for them in Monaco. I found more from the interview with CW from BBC:

Asked whether Smedley had signed, Claire Williams said: "We're working very hard to address the problems we have in-house. We have some great talent in Williams but we need to make sure we have all the talent we need to perform right at the top.

"So I'm hoping that before the end of the season or maybe slightly after we'll be making some more announcements in a similar vein to this one [Massa]. Whether that involves a certain engineer or other engineers I can't tell you."

And I read earlier on, on some f1 blog (so take with a pinch) {Ive now lost the link}, that he is rumoured to be moving there in a senior engineering role, and not just a race engineer. Along with Brawn.
By Jabberwocky
Williams are very cagey about tech signings at the moment

See our F1 related articles too!