FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
The rumor mill is buzzing about a potential Ferrari return to LMP. Can you imagine Audi, Peugeot, Porsche, Toyota and Ferrari slugging it out in 2015? :cloud9:

Ferrari, one of the world’s most successful manufacturers to have ever competed in the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans is considering a return to LMP1 racing. According to reports from Auto Motor Und Sport, the Italian company is seriously assessing the possibility of returning to the top-level of endurance racing.

A return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Ferrari is possible for next year, but more likely in 2015. This would come at the perfect time when Formula One receives a massive shakeup with the introduction of new six-cylinder turbocharged engines. Consequently, Ferrari could borrow some technologies used in its 2014 and 2015 Formula One cars for use in a possible Ferrari LMP1 entrant.

What’s more, it’s believed that Ferrari is interested in truly competing with some of its rivals like Porsche and Audi which will both participate at the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014. This would be a drastic departure from Ferrari’s current Formula One predicament where the championship leader comes in the form of Red Bull, an energy drink company.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/moto ... 19825.html
Looking forward to seeing my friend Mark's brother in law Ryan Dalziel take a few wins for his new team 'Extreme Speed Motorsports' next season in the United Sportscar Championship. He's left Starworks after 6 years with team owner Peter Baron, so will likely be a bit of readjustment, but no doubt he'll be quick out of the box! A good few of you might know of Ryan from his Daytona 24hr win in 2010, and LMP2 class win at the Le Mans 24hr race in 2012. Great to see another Brit doing well in International competition. :)
So I've been hearing rumors that Ferrari could consider getting into LMP1 because the new F1 engine would also work for that class. But my question is: would an F1 engine be reliable enough to do 24 hours straight? I realize they could do stuff like limit the RPMs, but aren't the new engines already limited to 15k or 16k? And if they limited it to something more like 8k, would the engine even be usable at that point?

Fire in the Larbre Competition pit apron during WEC 6 Hours of Shanghai last Saturday.

This is probably a little insensitive, but it looks like the guy with his arms straight out directly under the 88 sign is about to bust out a phat dance move :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do hope everyone come out unscathed! Good thing for fire suits!
Woo Hoo - the weekend has finally arrived. Here's hoping the Risi team can continue the domination of the 458 :D

52nd Annual Rolex 24 at Daytona
Daytona International Speedway, 3.56-mile road course, Daytona Beach, FL
January 23 - 26, 2013

TUDOR United SportsCar Championship: Round #1 of 11
Race Duration: 24 hours
Where to watch:
Race
January 25, 2014
FOX: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
FOX Sports 2: 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
IMSA.com: 9:00 PM - 7:00 AM
January 26, 2014
FOX Sports 1: 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Schedule (All times Eastern):

Thursday, January 23, 2014:
Practice 1: 9:30 am - 10:30 am (All Classes)
Practice 2: 1:15 pm - 1:45 pm (All Classes)
Qualifying: 3:45 pm - 4:00 pm (GTD)
Qualifying: 4:05 pm - 4:20 pm (GTLM)
Qualifying: 4:30 pm - 4:45 pm (PC)
Qualifying: 4:50 pm - 5:05 pm (P)
Practice 3 (night practice): 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm (All Classes)

Friday, January 24, 2014:
Practice 4: 11:30 am - 12:30 pm (All Classes)

Saturday, January 25, 2014:
Autograph Session: 11:30 am - 12:15 pm
Race: 2:10 pm (24 hours)
Really nice vid of the Muscle Milks team prep for the Daytona ....

[youtube]0R2oI2jUhVA[/youtube]

Can't resist the op to throw in how great it is seeing the cars able to do all the track running they want. Look at all the other cars on the track. Just proves that its a load of baloney that track testing has to be super expensive.
Good luck to the Risi boys this weekend at Daytona. A win would be a great start :cloud9:

wrote:">Risi Competizione: Exceptional talent roster for Rolex 24 at Daytona

Risi Competizione will be representing the iconic Ferrari brand in the manufacturer-led GT LM category of the new Tudor United Sportscar Championship. The Houston-based, North American GT stalwart will be entering the Italian marque’s only full-season entry in the class of 12, and the team’s red F458 Italia will carry its long-time race number 62. Risi will also be working closely alongside its friend and ally Krohn Racing in the North American Endurance Championship rounds.

With the opening round of the championship, the Rolex 24 at Daytona, between January 23 and 26 Risi Competizione is pleased to announce an all-star roster of driving talent. Scuderia Ferrari F1 test driver Giancarlo Fisichella and ALMS 2013 race-winner Matteo Malucelli will anchor the line-up for the year, and will be joined for the twice-round-the-clock endurance classic by FIA World GT Champion Gianmaria Bruni and 2013 Risi driver Olivier Beretta, a former winner of the Daytona 24.

All four drivers have driven with Risi Competizione previously, and all have extensive race-winning experience with the F458 Italia. Italians Fisichella and Bruni have for the last two years successfully competed for Ferrari in the FIA World Endurance Championship, while both have raced in the USA with Risi many times over the last few years – Bruni winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans with the team and finishing 2nd in the 2010 ALMS GT Drivers championship.

Malucelli, also from Italy, made his debut in North American racing last year and together with Beretta claimed victory at VIR with strong performances contributing to further podiums at Sebring and Petit Le Mans.
I think you're off by a week. :)

I worked that our after I started looking for info from the track :-(

Bugger - one more week to wait.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Timely anyway. I just found out yesterday that our next cars and coffee meeting will be at a race shop locally, owned by an ALMS LMP winner and Sebring winner back in 2001~2003.

See our F1 related articles too!