FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
So I have been an F1 fan for years, being in America the access has been difficult. Now that I live in Boston I drove to Montreal for the race in June and I just bought GA tickets. Well the overall experience was great! Montreal is just a crazy party scene for the weekend. There are 458s, Veyron’s, Lambo’s, McLaren Mp4 – 12c’s, etc. parked all over the place! It’s just unreal!

But the race itself was terrible I must say… From GA you could not see anything. The few areas that had a track view were choked with other fans so you couldn’t get close… or the fences were intentionally covered so you couldn’t see the track because they didn’t want people there.

We were lucky to find a spot where you could barely see the tire level of the cars blowing by in a blur. Add to that very few TV screens around (and not even widescreen?? Come on Montreal!) And coming from America with Verizon… no phone or data access at all. I had no idea what was going on!

I spent $2k in 2 days and never saw a race at all! I sure heard it though… wow the sounds!

So is this always the experience with GA tickets? Are some tracks better than others? (Like Austin??!)

Thanks
Went to Silverstone a couple of years ago with GA tickets and took a sitting position at Copse corner. You could see cars coming down the straight from Woodcote, and then blasting away down the Wellington Straight towards Maggots. Even better, there was a huge television screen opposite from us.

I got to see a fair few overtakes as the track slowly dried. Didn't miss much at all.

I suppose it's all about finding a pretty decent spot, which can obviously sometimes be difficult. Some circuits may well be better than others.
I've been to the Msian gp thrice...first two times were on cheap hill stand spots and the third time was a complimentary seat on one of the most expensive seats in the grandstand.

I can safely say I enjoyed myself 20X more from the hill stand spots....simply because I got to view a much larger portion of the track and the people were actually F1 enthusiasts who actually had ENTHUSIASM for Formula 1. The grandstand clowns were all sitting down and watching the cars go by as if on TV....not surprising when the majority of them were corporate attendees attending a race because their higher ups asked them to secure business deals and grab the networking opportunities. This was on practice and qualifying days though, I didn't even attend the race and watched it on TV since I didn't want to miss anything. :D
I've done both at Silverstone ( GA and grandstand) though for the last ten years or so it's been grandstand seats. Not the most expensive, but carefully picked out for the view I want. Best thing on grandstand over GA is the guarantee that you'll have the view you want and you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to secure it. I was surrounded by enthusiast both on GA and grandstand seats. I take a radio and have earphones tuned to the Silverstone station and make sure a big screen is near. And the biggest winner over watching on tele........ATMOSPHERE! ATMOSPHERE! ATMOSPHERE!
Hmmm. I just want to plan a lot more before the next race I go to. I am thinking of going to Austin in Novermber which should be better. For one thing I will have data access from my phone so I can actually know whats going on. That will be a big help right there. Also because its such a new track I have heard the GA areas are planned better.

I did get to see the Austin track, I was there last October a few weeks before the race. Its so hilly I think that will make it easier to see more.

Do you know if tickets are cheaper at the track as apposed to buying on f1.com?
WTF 2k in 2 days? :yikes:

I've gone to Montreal twice, one of those times I brought my wife and kids and didn't spend 2k in 3 days for the four of us including admission and hotel. I mean if you're going to factor tittie :boobies: bars and Cristal champagne into the trip, you don' necessarily have to go to an F1 event to do that.

BTW, I'm with you on the general admission in Montreal, not a lot of prime real estate, but if you early you get the pick of the litter or just spring for the extra couple hundred and get yourself the grand stand, it's not like it would add that much more the way you pissed through money over there.
2k :yikes::yikes::yikes: I missed that bit!! If you're spending that why the hell aren't you in a grandstand!! My Silverstone ticket cost me about £250 for three days in a grandstand. I camp for two nights ( about £30) and I take my own booze and food. I have a fantastic weekend for less than a quarter of what you pay!"
Hmmm. I just want to plan a lot more before the next race I go to. I am thinking of going to Austin in Novermber which should be better. For one thing I will have data access from my phone so I can actually know whats going on. That will be a big help right there. Also because its such a new track I have heard the GA areas are planned better.

I did get to see the Austin track, I was there last October a few weeks before the race. Its so hilly I think that will make it easier to see more.

Do you know if tickets are cheaper at the track as apposed to buying on f1.com?

buy tickets from circuitoftheamericas.com I just checked and they are like $10 cheaper and also have more parking lot passes available for $60 (USD) and the f1.com site only has the $200 (USD) parking passes listed.

I know this because I bought GA tickets for this years race for $181 (USD) from circuitoftheamericas.com and they're listed as $194 (USD) on F1.com
I took a girl with me and didn't hold back, even bought her passport... That's why it was $2k.

Then there was your mistake :thumbup:
I took a girl with me and didn't hold back, even bought her passport... That's why it was $2k.

Hope you brought her with you to propose to her!! What a great memory/story that would be!! :D

:yikes: I hope you got a blowie as a bare minimum in return.

Hope you brought her with you to propose to her!! What a great memory/story that would be!! :D

And there-in, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the difference between how men and women think.

See our F1 related articles too!