FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By 1Lemon
I was rolling my R's
By geetface9
I instantly thought of saturday night live and sean connery vs alex trebek when I read that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"No, it's not in the R's, sean" ...."that's not what your mother said!"
By What's Burning?
Figured I'd share these, as expected they're TG funny and pretty accurate in their assessment so far.
TOP GEAR Does anyone out there think there is any chance Daniel Ricciardo will not fill the spot for an occasionally-fast, often-unpredictable but always easy-going Australian at Red Bull next year? Despite the sincere attempts of this column to put Jenson Button in the frame for the drive, Ricciardo seems to be making his way over to Milton Keynes largely unopposed. Even Kimi’s candidature seems to have foundered on the not unsurprising matter of the fat fee he’s likely to require.

Daniel Ricciardo seems to be the man, which means that Toro Rosso squad is doing what it’s supposed to do; incubating and finishing talents and getting them set for a start with the first team. But is anyone else unconvinced by Ricciardo? Has he really earned a ride in the car that could well give him a crack at the championship next year?

It doesn’t take Jedi-like skill to recognise the strength of ‘the force’ (or ‘the fast’) in an apprentice racer. We all knew how good Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton all were from the get-go — in Hamilton’s case from the very first corner of his very first Grand Prix. Sensational drivers tend to do something sensational very early on. Some impressive qualifying performances and that first young driver test aside, charming young Danny just hasn’t. Nor did he exactly knock it out the park when he was re-united with a ‘proper’ Red Bull at this year’s young driver test.

So how has the equally charming Jean-Eric Vergne driven himself out of this particular picture? After all, he beat Ricciardo in last year’s championship and is, at half way through this year’s competition, on track to do it again. He seems the more consistent racer, the man to get the job done and in the absence of any great fireworks from Ricciardo, you’d think would have done enough for at least a quick conversation with Christian Horner.

Are Red Bull’s standards dropping? Ricciardo has comfortably out-qualified Vergne 7-3 and has made it to the last ten minutes of qualifying five times so far this year. (Vergne’s managed it twice, yet it’s Ricciardo’s fifth at Silverstone and sixth at the Nurburgring that stick in the mind). It’s also worth noting that Vergne has racked up no less than four retirements this year, not all of them unavoidable. But if Ricciardo is worthy of a crack at Webber’s seat, so is Vergne. Based on scoring, is either driver good enough?

And that’s possibly the real story at Toro Rosso this year. As a part of the slightly amorphous system that is Red Bull’s driver academy, it seems to lack the ability either to make drivers better, or make its mind up to try someone different. An awful lot of young men with apparent talent seem to have lost their way inside Toro Rosso, totally unable to shine in what is always just another ordinary midfield car. This year’s Toro Rosso STR8 is somewhere between the middle of Q3 and the middle of Q2, and the last with a Ferrari engine. Next year the team will run Renault turbos, possibly in a bid to catch some of Adrian Newey’s stardust. They need something…

The terrible technical funk that has the gripped almost all teams in the pack behind Red Bull in the last four years doesn’t just corrode today’s racing. If it means we struggle to find the next Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel, it will soon start to take the shine off the races yet to come.

Half term grades

Toro Rosso: B minus

Ricciardo: B plus

Vergne: B
By Big Azza
LOL just read the first part of this thread up til now. You guys! :thumbup:

In regards to the news article, I've always been adamant that Vergne is a mighty good racer, and should also be in with a shout for the spot at RBR. And if he beats Ricciardo in the championship 2 years in a row, then HE should really be given the seat.

At least he should've been given a chance to test with RBR in the young drivers test this year..... Perhaps they could've compared the two....
By Jabberwocky
If they where keeping the ferrari engine for next year then maybe.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By racechick
Well it's a done deal now for this daniil kyvat guy. Another teenager, Russian I believe.
By What's Burning?
Russian money is flush, turn one in Melbourne will be interesting.
By LRW
We may have a couple of talented people without seats next year, thanks to the almighty $.
In a shock announcement, Toro Rosso have confirmed that Russian rookie Daniil Kvyat will drive alongside Jean-Eric Vergne for the 2014 season.

The 19-year-old, a relative unknown who is a graduate of the Junior Driver programme of parent team Red Bull and tested for Toro Rosso at the Young Driver Test at Silverstone in July, will replace the Red Bull-bound Daniel Ricciardo.

Kvyat has driven in the GP3 series this season and currently sits second in the standings after an impressive debut season for the MW Arden outfit co-owned by Mark Webber and Red Bull boss Christian Horner.

Nevertheless, Ricciardo's vacant seat had been expected to be filled by the highly-rated Antonio Felix da Costa - who also happens to be Kvyat's flat-mate.

'It hurts but its like this, im happy for Daniil and that it stays in the Red Bull Family, enjoy mate Dany Kvyat' tweeted Da Costa in response to Toro Rosso's bombshell news.

Proving that he hadn't lost his sense of humour along with his expected route into F1, Da Costa then posted: "Looking for a new flat mate. Interests please retweet. #keepsmiling'.

While the decision to overlook Da Costa and appoint Kvyat is bound to be perceived as financially motivated, team boss Franz Tost has insisted that the Rome-based youngster was selected on merit.

"Daniil is a very talented driver, which can be seen from his results in all the junior categories," said Tost. "He was a very successful Kart driver and, in 2012 he took the Formula Renault 2.0 Championship title with 7 wins. This year, he competed in six rounds of the FIA European Formula 3 Championship, taking one win, five poles and five podiums.

"In addition to this, he is still in a position to win the GP3 Championship, as he is only seven points behind the leader. He impressed our team with a strong performance and very informative technical feedback at the young driver test in Silverstone. This suggests that the basic qualities from which he can progress are all in place. Daniil can be sure that we will use all our experience of training youngsters to give him the best possible start to his Formula 1 career."

Kvyat added: "This is fantastic news, a dream come true and I want to thank Red Bull and Toro Rosso for giving me this priceless opportunity. Ever since I began karting, I wanted to get to Formula 1 and now that wish will become reality next season. I had a brief taste of working with the Toro Rosso team, when I drove for them at the Silverstone test and I enjoyed the experience very much. The fact I am based in Italy and speak Italian will, I am sure, help me to become part of the team very quickly."

Ahead of this weekend's Indian GP, Toro Rosso are eighth in the Constructors' Championship after scoring 31 points during what has proved to be a difficult campaign for the team.

This is a BAD move. What did Da Costa do to piss off Marko? He has made the jump from GP3 to F1 and I think he needs more experience, Da Costa is the decent choice if anything. Plus, he looks like Vettel :banghead: But yeah, this is not a good move, what are your thoughts?
I didn't see this as very shocking. Some Russian money/attention to help Toro Rosso break even their expenses earlier than usual in a season, and more cans sold in Russia, not exactly a small market. Redbull is the main attention for performance for Redbull, not Toro Rosso which is their gold digger counterpart. :D
It's being discussed in the Torro Rosso thread. Can we keep it altogether in there please. It's difficult to move posts into a 'that's' thread so I'm locking this one but please feel free to make your same points in there. thanks
By Hammer278
Russian money is flush, turn one in Melbourne will be interesting.

Just hope TR stays at the back and doesn't f**k with the front runners/high midfielders.

See our F1 related articles too!