FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Which circuit designed by Hermann Tilke is your favourite?

Sepang, Malaysia
39%
Shanghai International Circuit, China
No votes
0%
Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir
6%
Marina Bay Circuit, Singapore
No votes
0%
Korea International Circuit, Yeongam
No votes
0%
Buddh International Circuit, India
No votes
0%
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi
No votes
0%
Circuit of the Americas, Texas
33%
Istanbul Park Circuit, Turkey
22%
Hockenheim Ring, Germany
No votes
0%
Austin. Not really a fan of many of his tracks but thought Austin was excellent. Followed by Istanbul Park. That's a great track too.

I agree they're probably the best. And that there is much less freedom available when designing street circuits. but I still think he designs too many corners to be technical tests.

see my comment up there ^^ in the Grand-Am race, there was lots and lots and lots of passing, a lot also in places where F1 cars dare not pass so it's not the circuit.

Wasn't that also spiced up a bit by the tyre selection for the race?
In terms of track layout, driving it on a computer game or whatever, Bahrain is my favourite personally. So i voted that. But it depends on your criteria.

I despise the first corner complexes at Malaysia and China so couldn't vote for them, although Sepang has some awesome corners around the rest of the lap.

China has generally provided the best racing in real life F1 races as a viewer i think. 2006/7/9, 2010/11, all very entertaining races.

All things considered though, my favourite Tilke Track is (surprisingly) not on that list - the A1 Ring!
Whaaaaat....the first couple of corners of China are the best! Especially in games, I love the fact you get to just go into it flat out and then brake, brake, brake and the corner is tightening up all the time, it feels awesome when you get it right!
Whaaaaat....the first couple of corners of China are the best! Especially in games, I love the fact you get to just go into it flat out and then brake, brake, brake and the corner is tightening up all the time, it feels awesome when you get it right!

I just don't like how it's basically the same as Sepang. I don't personally find very slow technical corners like that fun myself. Rewarding when you get it right yes, but never as fun as a dab of brakes and throw it in at high speed, for me.
I'd agree about the first corners in Msia, but China seems to be just that, dab of brakes and you're turning at a very high speed and rapidly braking through the corner...okay, slow exit in the end but you can lose or gain a lot of time there since it's too easy to go wide or stay too close to the inside and lose time. Anyway, it's a unique corner I enjoy in Shanghai.
If you're talking of driving them in the games, there's a rhythm or something to the more traditional circuits that the newer ones just seem to lack that lets you get right into them. You can drive the circuits almost subconciously and concentrate more on the racing.
A strange thing happened when I was doing a full GP on Monaco once, when I was finishing I realised I'd been totally unaware of the track for a large part of the race and how I'd been driving round it and the only thing I was concious of was dealing with the other cars, it was quite hypnotic.

See our F1 related articles too!