FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By darwin dali
PlanetF1:

The famous Brabham team could be set return to Formula One if legal issues surrounding the rights to the name's use are resolved.

Sir Jack Brabham, an Australian now aged 86, founded his eponymous team, which later raced under Bernie Ecclestone's stewardship, in 1960.

In 2009, a German automotive supply company named Formtech claimed ownership of the name, filing an official entry for the 2010 F1 season.

The Brabham family contested the claim in court, and though the situation is not yet fully resolved, Jack Brabham's son David says there is a possibility the Brabham name could be heading back to Formula One.

"Right now this is a very sensitive issue," he told Totalrace.

"But, yes, there is the possibility to bring the team back (to F1)."

The Brabham team last raced in 1992 with Damon Hill at the wheel, but has a proud history, winning four drivers' titles in 1966, 1967, 1981 and 1983. It also won the constructors' title in 1966 and 1967.

David Brabham added: "For now, we have a predicament behind the scenes, involving the rights of the name. It's 98 per cent resolved, and when it is 100 per cent we'll see what we can do."
It would be great. But it all seems a bit wishy-washy at the moment. Don't get hopes up yet...
By darwin dali
It would be great. But it all seems a bit wishy-washy at the moment. Don't get hopes up yet...

Neither the teensy-weensy for that matter :P

Neither the teensy-weensy for that matter :P

:blush::blush:
By madbrad
Seems to me that in the same way Lotus isn't really Lotus, this would be Brabham in name only. That doesn't excite me.
Seems to me that in the same way Lotus isn't really Lotus, this would be Brabham in name only. That doesn't excite me.

Yep. :yes:

Must be a total bugger for the stat-writers.
By andrew
I'm all for the old names reappearing in F1 but I'd prefer if there was an actual connection to the old team rather than some business person buying the rights to that name.
By headless

:yes:
By andrew
Brabham family wins legal battle over name

The Brabham family has won its legal battle to protect the Brabham name through the German Higher Courts.

Sportscar racer David Brabham, the son of three-time Formula 1 champion and team founder Jack, had sued Michael Trick following his refusal to cancel certain registrations within the European Union involving the Brabham name in Germany.

Trick had been marketing road cars under the Brabham Racing banner.

The Brabham family announced on Wednesday the legal action was entirely successful and that the Brabham trademark registration is now reverted to the family's ownership.

"I'm delighted that this situation has finally come to an end," said David Brabham. "It's been a long and tiring battle, but this was something I felt we needed to do to protect the Brabham name.

"The global brand stands for success and innovation bolstered from 60 years of racing heritage, and deserves to be protected.

"This ruling will not only help future plans for the Brabham brand, but also protect the third generation of drivers, in Sam and Matthew, coming up through the ranks."

Back in 2009, a group set up by Formtech founder Franz Hilmer said that it had lodged an entry for the 2010 F1 world championship using the Brabham Grand Prix moniker. Its application was unsuccessful.

See our F1 related articles too!