FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Denthúl
As I'm sure anyone who's watched F1 for any length of time will know, there have been some outstanding victories over the years, both for teams and for their drivers. But which one do you think was most deserved? Whether it's a driver winning the world championship, or just a single race, or maybe a team taking the constructors' championship, their first race, or just earning their first world championship point. I think it would make for an interesting discussion, and I'd like to know what people think.

:)
By McLaren Fan
Prost winning the 1989 World Drivers' Championship. :D

No, seriously, I'll have a think about and post something later or tomorrow.

Good idea Denthúl.
By certom
Just considering the last races, I think that Massa deserved winning the 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix...he made well for all the weekend, no one could have won it exept for him!
By Denthúl
Thanks, McLaren Fan! :)

I do agree that Massa deserved to win the 2006 Brazilian GP. I also think he deserved to win the 2007 one. But, given the fact that Raikkonen had a shot at winning the championship, Ferrari set up the stops so that Raikkonen could overtake Massa in the pits.

For me, I think (and remember that I've not been into F1 for as long as some, so I can't comment on earlier happenings) that Hill's victory at Spa in 1998 was well deserved. He drove excellently in poor conditions and won the race. But more importantly, it was Jordan's first ever win (and a 1-2) which I think was definitely well-deserved. They were a great team and it's a shame they're no longer around.
By 7UpJordan
Damon Hill winning the World Championship in 1996. People say he was overrated just because he was Graham Hill's son and only won because Schumacher was in a crap Ferrari blah blah blah. Yet they forget about a mardy Jacques Villeneuve trying to do to Hill what Hamilton did to Alonso last year at McLaren. At the same time Sir Frank betrayed his patriotism (and loyal fans) by siding with Villeneuve just because he'd signed a German (HHF) for 1997 as far back as Hill's bad times in 1995 and Frank wanted the number 1 on his car for 1997. Rumour had it though that Sir Frank was exploring the idea of entering 3 cars for 1997 at one point if Hill won the title.

It was also a Championship overdue for Hill after the controversy of Schumacher's Championship in 1994, and Villeneuve made Hill earn it well. Hill put in some great performances with the odds stacked against him at Suzuka, and also a great wet weather performance in Brazil.

Hill wasn't in the same category as Senna, Schumacher, Prost et al, but he sure showed he could be more than a match for them like he did to Prost in 1993 and his rivalry with Schumacher.

One of the things that bugs me about people who think Hill was overrated is that they forget the way that he carried the Williams team forward after practically on his own after Senna's death. He turned the tables and took the Championship to the final round especially after his win in Suzuka.
By piledriver
I was thinking of the race at the Hungaroring in 1997. Damon Hill was leading (in a Arrows), but Jacques Villeneuve was overtaking him in the last rounds. Damon Hill deserved that victory imo.
By 7UpJordan
I was thinking of the race at the Hungaroring in 1997. Damon Hill was leading (in a Arrows), but Jacques Villeneuve was overtaking him in the last rounds. Damon Hill deserved that victory imo.

If there was a topic for "most undeserved victories" I'd put that at the top of my list, Hill should have won that, not mardy Jacques.
By texasmr2
Jean Alesi's win at the '95 Canadian GP.

By Sam-KK24
Spain 1996

Although I have to say that Schumacher did even better at Spain 1994, finishing 2nd, only having 5th gear for most of the race!!
By madbrad
I disagree with Alesi'd 95 Canadian GP win being well deserved. I don't mean he didn't deserve a win, on the contrary he deserved a lot of wins. But that win came through attrition. I would define a well deserved win as one where the winner had to battle closely with somebody through most of the race, use superior pit strategy, and not gain places from retirements or teammate moving over. So I don't have an answer to the original question. I won't until I go back and research it. Probably something one of the Mclarens did in 88 or mansell did in 92.
By texasmr2
I disagree with Alesi'd 95 Canadian GP win being well deserved. I don't mean he didn't deserve a win, on the contrary he deserved a lot of wins. But that win came through attrition. I would define a well deserved win as one where the winner had to battle closely with somebody through most of the race, use superior pit strategy, and not gain places from retirements or teammate moving over. So I don't have an answer to the original question. I won't until I go back and research it. Probably something one of the Mclarens did in 88 or mansell did in 92.

A win is a win no matter how you got it other than obvious on-track shinanigan's. Anyway I dont think this thread is about debating one's opinion of their choice of who deserved a win but only to make a contribution via your opinion.
By 7UpJordan
Alesi's win was well-deserved and well overdue. And what a way to do it, on his 31st Birthday and winning in Canada in a Ferrari numbered 27. :)
By bud
Michael Schumacher 2002 Austria
By Sam-KK24
Michael Schumacher 2002 Austria
What a passing move it was on the line, hallmark of a true champion! ;)
By madbrad

A win is a win no matter how you got it other than obvious on-track shinanigan's. Anyway I dont think this thread is about debating one's opinion of their choice of who deserved a win but only to make a contribution via your opinion.

Yes of course a win is a win and I never said the fia should not count wins gained by attrition. The thread asks which one is best deserved, not is a win a win?
I have no desire to pick aprt your choice or opinion, I just needed to use the Alesi win as an example to illustrate my opinion for best deserved win. It was brought up so I used it.

See our F1 related articles too!