FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Watched this last night. Man, those Lotus's were dangerous! Really tragic that some extremely talented drivers died in avoidable circumstances.

Roger Williamson's crash was a real disgrace. I don't how the so-called marshalls could just stand there and watch. One guy even started tidying up when Purley gave up on the fire extinguisher! Nevermid the guy being burned alive, but let's have a quick tidy-up!

Thankfully things have moved on a lot since those days.
Watched this last night. Man, those Lotus's were dangerous! Really tragic that some extremely talented drivers died in avoidable circumstances....

It isn't just F1, it's all motor racing. Look up Stefan Bellof. He was killed when his car caught fire after a shunt at Eau Rouge. But he didn't burn, no one was able to get him out and before he was suffocated by the fumes. And that was 1985, post-Jackie Stewart.

Speaking of Lotuses, Graham Hill quit their F1 team precisely because the cars kept breaking in hazardous fashion. And Colin Chapman bore the brunt of the blame for the death of Jimmy Clark but there's never been any evidence to indicate his crash was the result of anything but a puncture.
And Colin Chapman bore the brunt of the blame for the death of Jimmy Clark but there's never been any evidence to indicate his crash was the result of anything but a puncture.

Not surprising. "He was Jim clark. The greatest. the Greatest wouldn't die like that. Something must have broken on the car". Crap mentality really. Clark was Human just like the rest of the drivers out there.

It's the same mentality that people had with Senna's Death.
I happened to see this last night in the channel guide it was scheduled for 3am so I figured I'd record it. After watching it this morning, not only were there jawdroping images I'd not seen before, but the carnage of seeing driver after driver dead because of the lack of safety regulations, the lack of regard for safety period is difficult to comprehend being a product of a different generation.

The first year that the GP season did not have a fatality wasn't until 1976.

Grand Prix The Killer Years
Finally got round to watching this yesterday, whilst suffering manflu.

Wow, some incredible stuff in it - some of the footage was.... well, it didnt shy away.

Its a bit of a shock to the system, when you are used to the safety standards of today. What amazed me was the way all the drivers were happy to carry on with a race even when someone was laying dead on the roadside. And when drivers have to start taping spanners to their own steering wheels, so they can get out in a crash, you know you've got issues.

Thank God for those that pushed the way for more safety in the sport.

See our F1 related articles too!