FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Hammer278
So I've officially set a trend with the 'thats Lewis' thread...that sparked up a 'thats vettel' 'thats kimi' 'thats sauber' now a....'thats massa'. Just reminding you all who's taking credit for this. :blush:

Oh and err....Massa is a nice guy. I think.
By What's Burning?
So I've officially set a trend with the 'thats Lewis' thread...that sparked up a 'thats vettel' 'thats kimi' 'thats sauber' now a....'thats massa'. Just reminding you all who's taking credit for this. :blush:

That's not what you were saying last year when he was tussling with Hamilton every other race. Anyway, since we're on a taking credit kick, it was my suggestion to start a That's Massa thread because the Singapore GP thread was being littered. :blush:

On Massa, well I think it's less about Massa and more about Ferrari. It's a modus operandi that you accept when you sign on the dotted line. It's how they do things. And as much as I disagree with the philosophy, I do believe that if come next year, Massa is consistently beating Alonso, and Massa is consistently out scoring Alonso, that Ferrari would have no qualms about having Nando move out of the way for our little friend.

Massa is coming back this year, it's frustrating since it's the best time for him to be able to be a good number two, something other drivers refuse to do even when it's clear they don't have a prayer.
By The Second Coming

That's not what you were saying last year when he was tussling with Hamilton every other race. Anyway, since we're on a taking credit kick, it was my suggestion to start a That's Massa thread because the Singapore GP thread was being littered. :blush:

On Massa, well I think it's less about Massa and more about Ferrari. It's a modus operandi that you accept when you sign on the dotted line. It's how they do things. And as much as I disagree with the philosophy, I do believe that if come next year, Massa is consistently beating Alonso, and Massa is consistently out scoring Alonso, that Ferrari would have no qualms about having Nando move out of the way for our little friend.

Massa is coming back this year, it's frustrating since it's the best time for him to be able to be a good number two, something other drivers refuse to do even when it's clear they don't have a prayer.

Hammer, you get credit for the "That's ____" threads, including this one. You will be given official commendation and a trophy at the 2012 FIA Award Banquet. Congratulations! :rofl:

As for Massa, I wouldn't go as far as to say he's coming back—two good races does not qualify as a comeback. His two best finishes are 4ths (Monza and Silverstone, months apart) and he has more double-digit finishes than single...consistently. He has yet to outqualify Alonso in a fair fight nor in a race. (Yes, he has been asked to pull over for Alonso for the obvious reason: "Alonso is faster than you!" I suspect Massa will be forever labeled and regarded as a #2 driver wherever he goes (assuming someone even picks him up for 2013). He's yet to do anything to prove he can be anything else.

I'm just saying...
By darwin dali
I love his sweet little bum :cloud9:

And no, I disagree with the suggestion he'll always be a number two driver. With his experience at Ferrari, he'd be number one in any back marker team such as HRT, Caterham, Marussia, Toro Rosso or Williams :twisted:
By darwin dali

:headpat:
Have a cookie...
By myownalias
I've never had an issue with Massa; and to be honest I wish he stayed with Sauber instead of moving to Ferrari to be #2; first to Schumacher, then Raikkonen and now Alonso. Massa had lots of potential before his accident in 2009; he almost became world champion in 2008 for heavens sake, you don't get into that position without having talent! Since the accident I feel he lacks the confidence he had pre 2009; despite his resurgence in the last few races, he still is not at his best, being caught & passed by Alonso who started seven places behind him in Italy proves that!
By elfinitty
If there's such thing as mini comeback he's been doing that since Spa.And reached almost the top of it in Monza.What he needs to do is a podium and consistency in pole positions and race performances till the end of the season.He's ran out of his credits of qualifying lower than 10,I think or almost did.Has he got potential?Yes.How much of it can he use?Definetely not the half of it this season.

About his confidence,he actually seemed very confident before 2010 starts,he was like :''I am ready for racing,no worries,here I come.'' I think,he was doing quite well for the first half of season.But the Hockenheim incidence has been a stroke to his confidence and pride.
By What's Burning?
I don't think a re-surged Massa would beat Alonso, so in this comparison, at this time he is a number two. Given the situation at Ferrari in 2008 and 2009 I think they did treat Massa as a number one. it's possible the accident knoked some confidence out of him. It's also possible that he's physically not the same, it was a massive blow to the head, that may have ramifications beyond what we're perceiving as a loss of confidence.

In any case, I think Ferrari sticking with him this year and last was more about indebtedness. Unless he's able to put together a race win or two for the balance of this year, I think it's too little too late. And therein lies the issue with the situation... does anyone believe that if Massa is able to put together a race win that Alonso wouldn't be in front of him?
By Jabberwocky
I think he would be a good catch for any of the smaller teams... HRT/Marussia, but has he got the money for a seat with them?
By f1ea
I don't think a re-surged Massa would beat Alonso, so in this comparison, at this time he is a number two. Given the situation at Ferrari in 2008 and 2009 I think they did treat Massa as a number one. it's possible the accident knoked some confidence out of him. It's also possible that he's physically not the same, it was a massive blow to the head, that may have ramifications beyond what we're perceiving as a loss of confidence.

In any case, I think Ferrari sticking with him this year and last was more about indebtedness. Unless he's able to put together a race win or two for the balance of this year, I think it's too little too late. And therein lies the issue with the situation... does anyone believe that if Massa is able to put together a race win that Alonso wouldn't be in front of him?

What he said ^
:)
By Jabberwocky

OK so would Ferrari accept 2 second places from him with Alonso in front of him?
By vaptin
I don't think his problem is really outright speed, that's ok. It's consistency, on some tracks, and with some conditions he's terrible, prone to making mistakes too. Ferrari have stuck with him because he works well with the engineers, and through loyalty in the hope he'll get better.

See our F1 related articles too!