FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Selcouth_Feline
Hungary 1992. I think they were the first team to compete in 500 races although neither Alesi or Capeilli actually finished the race!
By Stephen
Where Nigel Mansell won the drivers championship, doing so within the first 11 races of the season, with Hungary being the eleventh. That was a record at the time, something I think Schumi has probably now beaten?

But was that the year Mansell had the flu? And who won the race? I'm thinking Berger?
By F1Poser
Not sure about the flu, but it definately wasn't Berger.

Ayrton Senna in a McLaren/Honda won the race, Riccardo Patrese Williams/Renault was on pole with 1'15.476 and fastest lap was Nigel Mansell Williams/Renault with a time of 1'18.308.
By 7UpJordan
Where Nigel Mansell won the drivers championship, doing so within the first 11 races of the season, with Hungary being the eleventh. That was a record at the time, something I think Schumi has probably now beaten?

But was that the year Mansell had the flu? And who won the race? I'm thinking Berger?

That was Monza 1988. Mansell wasn't missing out on much as he was off to Ferrari the following year and the ugly Williams FW12 with its Judd engine wasn't cutting the mustard, but Mansell's replacement famously set up the historic Ferrari 1-2 after Senna braked late into the Retifilio and Schlesser rammed him off the track. A great result for Ferrari just coming weeks after Enzo Ferrari's death.

Mansell also missed Spa through his illness and Martin Brundle took his place for that race.

See our F1 related articles too!