FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Silverstone 2012 We drove down the M1 in pouring rain on Friday afternoon to find campsite full. It wasn’t full; it was a soggy mess with cars getting stuck. We begged and pleaded and were allowed on. Phew!!
Pitched tent, rain eased, sun came out, champagne was opened and BBQ lit.
silverstone 036.jpg

Nik and Rach at tent.jpg

534713_10151896935875387_1071804347_n.jpg

Too much wine and champagne was drunk then off to the disco near the fair (we’ll skip over the next bit).
Woke up, didn’t want to get up, head hurt, stomach ached. Anyway, made it to the track for first practice-just. We went to the International Pit Straight, down the poor end of the pits, but that was good ‘cos you could see the cars coming round Club.
silverstone 020.jpg

silverstone 010.jpg

The red flag period in Q2 went on and on.
wet girls1.jpg

Mexican waves started at the sharp end of the pit straight stands and travelled along to our end; as it neared our end the crowds began saying oooooooooooooooooooooooo, getting higher and higher. If the wave crossed to the next stand, Club, the Pit stand cheered. And then on to the next stand, and the same again. Once the wave stopped, everyone pointed at the place it stopped and booed. Always the same place!! Little things/little minds and all that, but it was a long break. Once the wave stopped the whole grandstand began stamping and clapping until the wave started again...and so it went on. Eventually the pit lane got wind of all the noise and waving and came out of their garages. They began doing the wave, if the wave passed to the next garage they got a huge cheer, but if it stopped, they got pointed at and booed. Eventually it went all along the Pit lane including marshals.
After much high tech circuit drying……………….
silverstone 023.jpg

Eventually Q2 recommences after the delay for wusies who had the wrong tyres on (Felt really sorry for Perez who had the right tyres on!!)There’s about 6mins to go. Well ,we saw some action where we were sitting cos they were all going like hell and slipping and sliding round club corner. Alonso backed Lewis right up as he tried to get lots of room for his run, to the point Lewis had to stop (just coming up to Club). I reckon Lewis thought “sod this for a game of soldiers”, cos next minute he’s trying to get round Alonso (time was of the essence here). Alonso’s having non of it so they’re racing each other round club and along the Pitt Straight. Alonso must have stayed ahead and Lewis dropped back because next time round Lewis had room, but it meant he had to get through with this lap. He did. He slithered round Club correcting slides and he was through.
Watched the GP2 race, third place for a Brit!!! Then back to the campsite.
silverstone 066.jpg

silverstone 067.jpg

Nikki took advantage of the high class facilities.
silverstone 035.jpg

While I cooked the BBQ.
silverstone 038.jpg

Gone ten o’clock now, nackered, can’t be bothered to go anywhere, so drink a bit more wine and snuggle into bed . Despite the mud outside, my tent was remarkably warm and cosy!!
Next morning, no hangover. Hurray!! Take down tent and pack car. Now how organized is that!!!
Off to track. Not sure where grandstand is, get lost and miss start of GP2 race. Find Grandstand (Village A) and the view is very good. We’re right in front of a big screen too. We can see them coming round Farm, round the loop and onto Wellington Straight. We can just see over to Becketts (not as good as from Becketts over to the loop though).We can also glimpse them going down Hanger Straight and again between Stowe and Club.
So onto the race. A GP race through the eyes of Racechick. Are you ready for a roller coaster ride!!!
Events may be in wrong order due to excitement factor.
Lights about to go out. Cant go out of the room and peep round the door like I usually do because I’m hemmed in the middle of arrow of seats. Have to peep through fingers.
OHMY GOD! Maldonado will take him off, he’s right next to him. Come on Lewis make up places!! Ok they’re coming past me now. Phew, Maldonado’s not taken him off yet but Lewis hasn’t made up any places.
“GET AWAY! GET AWAY FROM HIM!! DON’T YOU DARE TAKE HIM OFF” Strange looks from people along the row, a smile from the lady in front, she’s wearing a Lewis hat and knows exactly what I mean.
Can’t bear to watch while Maldonado is near him. He’s not any more. Good. Where is he? Oh he’s crashed into someone else, Perez again!!
People starting to come in to change off softs, maybe McLaren have pulled a stunning strategy here, Lewis keeps going, and going, and going. This might be good!
He’s overtaken Alonso !! Brilliant!!! (Ok not for long but brilliant nontheless)
He’s leading the race YEEEEEEEEEESSS LEWIS IS LEADING!!! Didn’t quite realize quite how loud that shouting was ‘cos I had the radio plugged in…that’s until the three rows in front of us turned round to see who the shouting loony was.
So this is now looking good. Mclaren have turned it around. They have done a good strategy for Lewis. Maybe he’ll do less stops and win, or at least get on the podium.
Now he’s on softs. Now he’s off softs. Christ that was a quick stint!! Must know something we don’t know. Yes, Grosjean is flying on hards and theyv’e covered him. Good move. Jenson just ahead on different strategy, that’s ok. Jens what are you doing? You’re not fighting Lewis!! Let him past.
“FOR CHRIST SAKE JENSON LET HIM PAST. HE’S ON NEW TYRES!!! WHAt ARE YOU PLAYING AT!!” Dig in the ribs from Nikki as woman with Jenson hat on glares at me…….sink down in seat muttering.
He’s past. Thanks Jens you could have made that a bit easier…oh you just have for Grosjean! That will have done lewis’ tyres a lot of good fighting a tem mate on a different strategy. Fume. Fume.
Doesn’t matter, Grosjean’s past. At least he’s ahead of Schumacher. No Schumacher’s past. It wasn’t a good strategy it was crap!
Well that’s it. No podium, a few measly points. But what’s this, Webber is baring down on Alonso. Renewed interest!! “ Come on Webber!! Lots of people joining in same shout. He’s past!!!! Reason to cheer. Great for Webber!!!! Really pleased. Trying hard to put McLaren fiasco out of head.
Watch podium ceremony and rush off to the live stage.
Lewis on staage.jpg

eddie on drums.jpg

murray and Jake.jpg

silverstone 062.jpg

Red Button is done from there today. That’s great!! Then some driver interviews and Eddie’s group playing. Unfortunately theres a huge wait for te Red Bull boys, I guess they’re partying. Heavens open as Horner comes on and we make a drenched hasty exit back to the campsite.

Hmmmm, wonder if car will get off field onto gravel track?? Find men on way back and they push. We’re on gravel track. We’re going home. All over for another year. Traffic home is fine, no hold ups at all. Now when to book for next year??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Great pics, RC :thumbup:

When I was at Silverstone last year, I didn't make it to the post-race party, as I had to rush to London. Next time, I will hopefully be able to stay longer, and get the ale flowing. :drink:
Hi, great thread you have made here mate well done! Tells a good and funny story, i went this year for the weekend but just general admission as it was my first time! SILVERSTONE virgin yeah!!!!! loved it despite the rain! i have just booked next years tickets and got front row tickets for the Club Corner grandstand so very excited!!!!!!! were camping next year too. Booked the silverstone campsite in the "family area". Do you or anyone else know how far this is from the Club Corner entrance and also how far from the campsite entertainment? We will be going to the beer tents/ stage etc but then retire to sleep hopefully it all being quiet :)
I wanna come with you next year :(((((((

great article RC suprised you didnt put anything about Lewis ovetaking Alonso when ALONSO HAD THE DRS OPEN :D:D:D:D:D

greatness
I'm sure you would... that Volvo can seat 4 comfortably.

And wouldn't be much of a detour. Nah, I'll be going in my POS if I get myself sorted, not my mates beetle as he can only get 1 sleeping bag in the boot.
Looks like it was fun RC; although some of the scenes are reminiscent of a music festival than a Grand Prix.

I would like to be able to go to Austin but it seems that there will be no camping at the site and hotels have hiked their prices massively for that weekend, which is a shame as the general admission tickets are very affordable. The nine hour drive from Kansas is a little off-putting as well, especially as I will be doing it alone. No-one I know here in Kansas is interested in F1! :(
Hi, great thread you have made here mate well done! Tells a good and funny story, i went this year for the weekend but just general admission as it was my first time! SILVERSTONE virgin yeah!!!!! loved it despite the rain! i have just booked next years tickets and got front row tickets for the Club Corner grandstand so very excited!!!!!!! were camping next year too. Booked the silverstone campsite in the "family area". Do you or anyone else know how far this is from the Club Corner entrance and also how far from the campsite entertainment? We will be going to the beer tents/ stage etc but then retire to sleep hopefully it all being quiet :)

I camp at Windmills cos its loads cheaper than the Silverstone campsite and is the nearest to the track, its just behind Copse and easily walkable to all entertainment, though there isnt any on the site itself. Im not sure about the silverstone campsite but you can probably get info off the web. So ypour camping!! Excellent! Thats the way to do it!! Booked my tickets today too :D:D:D:D

I wanna come with you next year :(((((((

great article RC suprised you didnt put anything about Lewis ovetaking Alonso when ALONSO HAD THE DRS OPEN :D:D:D:D:D

greatness

Come!!

Come!!

its 99% certain i will loose my f1 gp virginity next year at silverstone :cloud9:
Whooo! PARTY!! PARTY!!

See our F1 related articles too!