FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By racechick
A female Marussi a test driver was injured when her car hit the back of a truck that had delivered it to the track (no jokes necessary guys :nono: ) Emergency services were called and its believed she is seriously injured.

Wonder if they need that car at Silverstone?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-18685789
A female Marussi a test driver was injured when her car hit the back of a truck that had delivered it to the track (no jokes necessary guys :nono: ) Emergency services were called and its believed she is seriously injured.

Wonder if they need that car at Silverstone?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-18685789

(no jokes necessary guys :nono: )

I'm finding that difficult but I hope she's ok.

I'm sure you are. I'm finding it a touch tricky myself :hehe: But likewise hope she's ok.
(no jokes necessary guys :nono: )

I'm finding that difficult but I hope she's ok.

I'm sure you are. I'm finding it a touch tricky myself :hehe: But likewise hope she's ok.

Sounds pretty serious to me.....

East of England Ambulance Service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: "A woman has sustained life-threatening injuries and following treatment at the scene by paramedics, she has been taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital for further care."
Latest on bbc soprt is she has facial and head injuries and helmet is a mess, she is Maria De Villota, sounds like car accelerated into the back of truck for no particular reason, hope she is gonna be ok.
Firstly, where was that truck parked anyway....they said this was a private site.

More like, this is what happens when you work for very, very limited budget teams. :(
Firstly, where was that truck parked anyway....they said this was a private site.

More like, this is what happens when you work for very, very limited budget teams. :(

I was wondering that too, is it usual in private tests or demonstrations for an F1 car to be driven in the vicinity of other parked vehicles, particularly lorrys/transporters where there's the risk of going under?
First of all there have been a couple of tweets with the good news that she is conscious, lets hope things work out in the best possible way for her.

The theory is that she got caught out by the F1 anti-stall. Basically, if you are parking or making a tight turn and let the revs drop, the ECU thinks the engine might stall and the anti-stall kicks it up to about 50% revs - with 1st gear still engaged that gives some pretty awesome acceleration. Not unheard of for new drivers to get caught out with.

If that is the case, you might chalk this down to teams & drivers (especially new ones) inability to practice/test rather than low budgets.
I heard she'd done her fast run and was going slow, and the people were coming to meet her when suddenly she took off and hit the open door of the lorry, the way she hit it, her helmet took the full force. So it sounds really nasty. Glad she's conscious, fingers crosssd for her.
I don't understand, why was she driving the F1 car anyway? I thought there was no running outside of practice, official test sessions, and photo ops...
I don't understand, why was she driving the F1 car anyway? I thought there was no running outside of practice, official test sessions, and photo ops...

Straight line test. I think each team is allowed 4 or 8 a year.
First of all there have been a couple of tweets with the good news that she is conscious, lets hope things work out in the best possible way for her.

The theory is that she got caught out by the F1 anti-stall. Basically, if you are parking or making a tight turn and let the revs drop, the ECU thinks the engine might stall and the anti-stall kicks it up to about 50% revs - with 1st gear still engaged that gives some pretty awesome acceleration. Not unheard of for new drivers to get caught out with.
If that is the case, you might chalk this down to teams & drivers (especially new ones) inability to practice/test rather than low budgets.

Yup, a little known fact is that it is exactly that circumstance that caught out David Coulthard in 1995 at Adelaide when he was leading and coming into the tight turn into the pits. Anti-stall kicked in and accelerated him into the wall - nothing he could do about it as he had no time to react. A lot of people incorrectly point and laugh at that incident thinking it was just a bonehead error on his point because they don't know the reality.

See our F1 related articles too!