FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Hamilton asked to ignore Maldonado

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh has suggested Lewis Hamilton takes a different approach with Pastor Maldonado the next time they cross swords on track.
Whitmarsh was able to be wise after the event of what unfolded in Sunday's European Grand Prix when Maldonado t--boned Hamilton on the penultimate lap at the Valencia Street Circuit.
But his views are perhaps reflective of many given Maldonado has earned himself a reputation for being something of a hothead on occasion.
It was the third time the two drivers have clashed, the first in Monaco last year when Hamilton was undeniably at fault.
The latter two, in Belgium 10 months ago and again in Valencia, it has been Williams' Maldonado in the wrong, earning a retrospective drive-through penalty on Sunday that cost him 10th place.
There is an argument that on severely-worn tyres Hamilton should not have attempted to defend as much as he did in his bid to hold on to third place.
The 27-year-old vehemently disagreed, supported by Whitmarsh who said: "To my mind he didn't do anything different with Maldonado as with (Romain) Grosjean and (Kimi) Raikkonen, although it was a different outcome.
"It was Maldonado's fault, which was deeply frustrating, but Lewis is a racing driver and that's it."
Whitmarsh was somewhat pointed with his next remark as he said: "With hindsight you have to say if you are dealing with someone like that then you maybe have to take a different approach. You can't anticipate it really."

I thought a new thread about this wacko was in order...when we now have team managers telling their drivers to take a 'different' approach with this 1 driver on track, the question beckons...why is he allowed to get away with this? So we can't race with him anymore? In other words, he never needs to learn his lesson but just keep crashing people out until they just give up reasoning with him on track?

I find this freaking ridiculous. Whitmarsh speaks sense, but F1 doesn't. As a bloody racer in an elite field, you should't be given special treatment on track just because you're mentally unstable. :thumbdown:
By acosmichippo
bit of an odd title for that article as it does not convey the message Whitmarsh was getting across. anyway, I agree it's ridiculous that he has been allowed to drive like he's in a bumper car.
By LewEngBridewell
He's getting a reputation. And it will bite him in the arse if he keeps it up. Which is a shame, because it's starting to overshadow his success in Catalunya. :thumbdown:
By racechick
I think the most worrying thing about Maldonado are the tims he's deliberately used his car a a weapon, in anger; that and the fact he cant drive with any finesse, but the first is the most worrying because its deliberate and if he keeps doing it he could kill someone with his behaviour.
I dont know whether his move on Lewis was just clumsy or whether the red mist descended when he lost the corner and he kept turning in, whichever, the outcome was catastrophic for lewis and his championship. But far worse were his clearly deliberate swereves in to Lewis and in to (cant remember who else he did it to?) Why wasnt he race banned for that second deliberate swipe at a driver? maybe if he had been he'd have thought twice about taking lewis out. Why are the FIA/stewards being so lenient on him when we see them dish out draconian punishments for minor transgressions or complete accidents where no one looses out?
And why should Lewis or any other driver have to stop defending or attacking because another driver is vindictive or incompetent? Its arse about face! Its like not allowing children out to play because a paedophile lives next to the park
By LewEngBridewell
I dont know whether his move on Lewis was just clumsy or whether the red mist descended when he lost the corner and he kept turning in,

Tbh, the I think the red mist descended when he was a few seconds behind. Past history, you know.
By stonemonkey
The Williams is too good for Maldonado, Hamilton recieved a lot of criticism for going straight into a car capable of being at the front and winning races and while he made some mistakes and reckless moves there was never anything to deliberately take someone out. One big difference is that the moment Hamilton stepped into the car he was in the title race, Maldonado isn't but his actions could, and could already have affected the outcome of the title race which he's not part of. Grosjean has found himself in a similar situation in a car capable of fighting at the front but his driving and level of maturity has really impressed me.
I want to see hard racing but it's no good when if one guy doesn't make it stick he just decides to take the other guy out instead. I agree with the sentiment to ignore it and if he wants to keep crashing into others, let him and see how far he gets in F1 that way.
By Duckay
I agree very much!

One thing that tho stays up in my mind and hits me is this article.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/motorsport/formel_et/article1781411.ece

Let me translate it for you.
"Pastor Maldonado throws a clout on the ear at Hamilton because of the crash between them this Sunday Grand Prix at Valencia."

"-I don't know why he drove like that. He was totally gone says Pastor Maldonado to the English newspaper London Evening Post."

"He made a very aggressive move and tried to drive me off the racetrack, says Pastor Maldonado - But the stewards did not agree to that layout..."

"That's Motorsport. You just have to live with it and move on says Hamilton"

What i want to say about this is I don't understand why Pastor is so aggressive about it.. And that Hamilton have been so silences about it..

Another thing i believe is a big Woaw is that the stewards were on his site for once? :O When i saw the accident I thought now Lewis is to blame again by the Stewards but WOw..

//Nicki Bo Otte
By Jabberwocky
It is a good strategy by Mal, how long before other drivers start thinking. Oh no he is trying to overtake best not defend the position.
By stonemonkey
It is a good strategy by Mal, how long before other drivers start thinking. Oh no he is trying to overtake best not defend the position.

That's why I agree with ignoring it, if he loses out from damage to his own car or from picking up penalties how long before Frank starts thinking.
By Fluffy
Hamilton forced him off the track and he had nowhere to go for the next corner.

That should make this thread controversial
By Hammer278

It's like a NOS post for this thread. :hehe:
By Fluffy
Whats a NOS post?
By stonemonkey

Forced him off the track? Look up Hamilton Raikonnen spa 2008 on youtube and tell us your opinion of that.
Last edited by stonemonkey on 26 Jun 12, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
By Hammer278
Whats a NOS post?

Nitrous oxide. Ever watched fast and furious? :P
By Fluffy
Yea I have, just didn't think you referred to the laughing gas.

See our F1 related articles too!