FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Hi, guys.

I'm a member over at Sports.SE site. One of our members has asked the question below:

http://goo.gl/ZcVEI

Lewis Hamilton has a 5 place grid penalty for the Chinese Grand Prix due to having to change his gearbox.

My question is, when was the last time that the fastest qualifier didn't start on pole, due to a penalty or some other situation? I don't think it's ever happened before due to a penalty but am not sure, hence the question.

When was the last time the pole-sitter didn't start the race on pole? This has definitely happened due to mechanical problems or spinning off the track on the formation lap in the wet, San Marino springs to mind but I can't remember the year or who it was.

I've had a look on the F1 stats pages but I couldn't find an answer to his question.

I've joined up here to see if one of you F1 enthusiasts can answer the question. Feel free to post an answer over there or just here if you'd rather.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Ste.
Last edited by Ste on 29 May 12, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
I remember in 1998, Schumacher had pole at Suzuka but stalled on the grid. But i'm sure it happened a couple more times in between that, and the two times it happened this year. Will try to remember when...

See our F1 related articles too!