FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By racechick
I was sorting through some old family photos recently when I came across these. I guess thats where the very first F1 seads were sown. Its my mum in the pic with Graham Hill. My mum belonged to a club DDA(Disabled Drivers Association) and they were campaigning to have disabled cars withdrawn as unsafe. Graham Hill backed the campaign and went to London with a load of disabled drivers to lobby parliament. He drove a trike(disabled car) and overturned it when cornering to prove it unsafe. The campaign was eventually successful and trikes were withdrawn and disabled drivers had mini cars adapted with special controls. Trikes were only meant to be for the disabled person and their wheelchair. My mum wasnt in a wheelchair, but she did have two kids, so we used to ride on the floor in the bit next to the driver where the wheelchair should go...it was illegal. Whenever my mum saw a policeman, we had to hide right down so he couldnt see us.
Fantastic pictures! :thumbup:

And a seriously intriguing story too. Ahh, the good old memories of times that have been... :cloud9:
By madbrad
Like when Jeremy Clarkson did the episode about the 3 wheeled Reliants and kept tipping them over?
By racechick
Cool story and very cool to have the pics.

Was it these things?

Yes it was those.
By racechick
That was a great link, thanks :D
That was a great link, thanks :D

lol, you're welcome.

Steyr-Puch 500cc or markedly nippier 600cc 2cyl. 4-stroke aircooled. With 19.3 h.p. for the 500cc at 5000rpm, the book top speed is 60mph. However (as the Go-Karters will tell you), a bit of know-how and a bigger Weber carb will have you pushing 80mph with a prevailing wind on a downhill stretch if the doors don't blow off. By all accounts, steering and the drum brakes are purely ornamental at speeds above 45mph but don't forget though, with the variable stop-go Salsbury transmission pulley system, the electrically started Invacar can achieve this warp speed in reverse as well !

See our F1 related articles too!