FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Rob Z
Yes I'm new, Yes this is my first post, but hear me out.

Reciently my Father passed. One of his requests was to sell certian items. One of these being F1 related. As I know very little about this topic I am asking for some insite.

First the item
The New Matadors by Baumann - Purdy Copyright 1965.
The book soft cover is in OK shap. It has a plastic coating over it which has bubbled over time but is still intact. The hard cover is in perfect condition no rips or tears. The spline is perfect. The pages are not torn, folded or damaged in any way.
On Oct 27-30 1966 my father went to the 9th annual TIMES GRAND PRIX at Riverside Raceway. I have the original brochure from the race in the book. While at the race he got several of the drivers to sign the book. Autographs include
Jackie Stewart
Mario Andreti
Carrol Shelby
Dennis Hulme
A. J. Foyt
Phil Hill (Autographed his picture on pg25 of the book)
John Surtees (Autographed his picture on pg 31 of the book)

Now for my quandry.
Per my fathers request this book is to be sold. So I am trying to determine a value of the set and possibly the best way to sell the book. I can send pics, but do not have them on-line for posting here.

I thank you for any info you can provide in satisfying my fathers wishes. I will check her for replys, but I can also be reached at my personal email thestarfinder at yahoo dot com

Rob Z
Dayton, OH USA
My advise it go to a professional as I doubt anyone here is qualified enough for even an estimated guess. You can start by going to places to BUY autographed items and see if there are any from those drivers and the prices they're commanding that might give you a general idea of what it may be worth. I'm not going to question your father's desire to sell as something like that will only GAIN in value as the years pass, and in a better economy you may get more $ for it, but if he insisted you sell, he must have had a reason. If it were me and I could get a couple of hundred dollars for it, I'd rather keep it as a memory of my father.
By myownalias
I'd recommend taking it to a professional to get it appraised, maybe visit an auctioneer of sports memorabilia, they probably see and sell lots of similar items and would have the best idea of value. But please do bear in mind that items like this have a value that is subjective, but get a couple of keen motorsports collectors in an auction and it could go for thousands!
By Rob Z
What's Burning? and myownalias,
Thanks for you thoughts. I had been thinking to find an appraiser or auction house. If it were up to me I would keep it as F1 gave my Dad much enjoyment and it would always remind me of him. But, I believe he had his reasons and will honor them.

Jaberwocky,
Had thought of that, but if only one person happens to see it then the real valus will never be known. Although it was my Dads wish to sell it, I do not want to just give his memory away. Thanks
By Jabberwocky
Jaberwocky,
Had thought of that, but if only one person happens to see it then the real valus will never be known. Although it was my Dads wish to sell it, I do not want to just give his memory away. Thanks

I know what you mean. Is there an antiques roadshow coming around your way soon.
The problem with items like this is that sometimes it is worth more sentimentally than in real life. I know as I have a cherished item that was an uncles that is would probably be worth 50p but to me is worth a million pounds. (I am not saying you late fathers book is worth 50p by the way) also as an execator of the estate you will want to do the best for it.

See our F1 related articles too!