FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Selcouth_Feline
Organisers have said that South Korea may host a new F1 GP in 2010. Bernie Eccelstone flew to Seoul after the Shanghai GP and he said that he hoped it would help to bring up Korean F1 drivers in the hope of having a Korean F1 team one day.

The Korea Auto Valley Operation, a joint venture between South Cholla province and the Korean F1 promoter M-Bridge Holdings, will build a Hermann Tilke-designed 5.45-km (3.39- mile) track in the southwestern region at a cost of 250 billion won.

Ecclestone seems to be on a push for new circuits at the moment - with Turkey, Bahrain and China. However, none of these countries have yet to produce a team or driver in F1. He has tried (unsuccesfully) to bring F1 to South Korea before. He made a deal in 1996 to hold races at Kunsan City from '98 to '02 however the track never got built, although Ecclestone was subsequently allowed to keep a payment of 11.75 million dollars which had already been paid to him.

I quite like the new circuits we've seen so far and it will be interesting to see how good this new track will be :)
By certom
so...you like the circuits of Tilke?!? are you crazy?? long kartodromes with pharaonic paddocks that seem more shopping malls of abu-dhabi then the place where there are grease,oil,mechanics.......sorry man, i haven't seen the circuit yet, but i don't agree just right now..
By Irv the Swerve
Speaking of South Korea, since they will be in the calendar in the near future, Hyundai have come out saying that they will be involved in the 08 season as engine suppliers :shock:. Come on, who wants to have a Hyundai powering an F1 car :? .
By Dazza
Whenever the next track is designed and built, i hope it will be wide enough for serious (and safe) overtaking opportunities. I hate tracks that are too narrow, where faster cars are always held back. For this reason I don't like the Monaco GP. I don't know if this is a minority view, but what's the point in racing if you can't overtake? I've never understood that. :?
By Irv the Swerve
I see where you are coming from but the Monaco Gp is all about tactics. You need to mix the tracks up like long Straights or twisty corners. Sometimes you need a race that you have to be sharp and quick minded to pass the car in front of you.
By darwin dali
Tilke's race tracks are usually quite generous in space, i.e., up to 3 cars can fit around a corner, etc. So, I like his approach of track design.
Monaco is special - suck it up!
Hyundai have made a lot of progress (at least from what I can tell here in the US). Their cars have improved a lot and are on par with mainstream brands.
By Irv the Swerve
It would suck in F1!! It will be like Yamaha all over again.
By bud
Hyundai in F1..... hahahaha

See our F1 related articles too!