FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Way to revive another great thread!

For some reason the worst ever moment for me will be Kimi's Nurburgring curse....most probably because of the 'situation'. Easily the best driver that season, only to be failed time and time again by the car. And the way a certain someone profited in spades for every misfortune Kimi endured only added to the payyyne. :crying:

[youtube]L6lX-oFoQ0Q[/youtube]
By vlad
Well done, Hammer! That was a tough luck for Kimi, so many times... Too many times!
Yeah, those laps were heart-in-mouth times! He came so close to wiping out Jenson Button's BAR in the resulting crash. :eek:
This is a great thread.Well,let's see... Turkey dropping out of the calendar,Vettel winning WDC 2010 whereas I wanted Webber to win,me missing Button's overtake in Montreal 2011.These are all since 2009.
Schumacher crashing into Damon and still getting the championship. Montoya leaving F1. Max Mosley keep getting voted back in by being corrupt. McLaren getting that stupid ridiculous fine and.... Lewis' last year wasnt too hot :(
Austria 2002 / USA 2002... such ridiculousness. :irked:

Also, the times when F1's future has been in doubt, like back in the days when breakaway series' were being discussed (mostly by Flavio Briatore), but nonetheless, they got me worrying....
Roland Ratzenberger, Imola, 1994. Right at the start of his F1 career with so much promise. Ayrton Senna was bad but for me personally his death was less shocking as he had fulfilled his potential in F1 and was never going to be forgotten. Ratzenberger has been forgotten from the events of that terrible weekend in April 1994.

Can't really get a worse F1 moment than someone dying. Puts the other moments about stewarding decisions, on-track fender benders where both drivers walked away with nothing but a hurt pride and other minor inconsequential events into perspective.
Just realised I already posted in this thread on page 1! Interestingly the gist of my worst moments remain much the same.
Roland Ratzenberger, Imola, 1994. Right at the start of his F1 career with so much promise. Ayrton Senna was bad but for me personally his death was less shocking as he had fulfilled his potential in F1 and was never going to be forgotten. Ratzenberger has been forgotten from the events of that terrible weekend in April 1994.

I wouldn't say he's been forgotten. More like his death has been overshadowed by that of Ayrton's, and understandably so. It's a crying shame, but it was always going to be that way. :(

I wouldn't say he's been forgotten. More like his death has been overshadowed by that of Ayrton's, and understandably so. It's a crying shame, but it was always going to be that way. :(

I wouldn't say that it is understandable at all! Someones death should not be overshaddowed or forgotten. Just because they were not as famous does not make their death any less tragic or shocking.

I wouldn't say that it is understandable at all! Someones death should not be overshaddowed or forgotten. Just because they were not as famous does not make their death any less tragic or shocking.

Sort of along the same line I feel that a real crying shame was the death of Ricardo Rodriguez at the 1962 Mexican Grand Prix. He was 20 at the time, nearly won on debut for Ferrari. The guy was a freak. Everything he touched turned to gold. He won cycling championships, then motorcycling championships throughout his teens.

He finished 2nd at Le Mans in 1960 at the age of only 18. This is what Wikipedia says of his short career with Ferrari:

Rodríguez was given a guest drive by Ferrari for the 1961 Italian Grand Prix, qualifying a surprise second and becoming the youngest driver in history to start from front row. In the race he exchanged the lead with Phil Hill and Richie Ginther many times, until a fuel pump failure ended his race. 1962 saw a full works drive with Ferrari, who used him sparingly considering his age and rough edges. Whenever used, Rodríguez shone, taking second at the Pau Grand Prix, fourth at the Belgian Grand Prix and sixth at the German Grand Prix in a tough year in Formula One for Ferrari. He also won the Targa Florio with Olivier Gendebien and Willy Mairesse.

If it weren't for bad luck, time and unforeseen occurrences, this kid could have been a legend.
Way to revive another great thread!

For some reason the worst ever moment for me will be Kimi's Nurburgring curse....most probably because of the 'situation'. Easily the best driver that season, only to be failed time and time again by the car. And the way a certain someone profited in spades for every misfortune Kimi endured only added to the payyyne. :crying:

[youtube]L6lX-oFoQ0Q[/youtube]

That stupid no tire changing rule was, well, stupid. One of the dumbest things the FIA has done. Kimi would have got the title if not for that rule.
Imola 1994 is always going to be on the minds of modern F1 fans. Tragic weekend for everyone.

non crashes have to be australia 94, Jerez in 97, Austria in 02 and Monaco 06. a dirty cheat who did more damage to F1 then any other driver IMO.

Imola was the worst. Crashes are crashes, but they become something else when the driver doesnt walk away. we've been lucky, since 94 we have not had those crashes that kill drivers, or one's that end a drivers career.

as for non F1, Greg Moore and Marco simocelli (sp). both those were sickening.

See our F1 related articles too!