FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Greetings everyone. Some of you will remember the late season awards that EwanM used to do. These were a series of polls that members could vote on, with regards to various categories about the F1 season.

As we lacked these in 2010, and seen as EwanM is no longer a part of this forum, I thought I would have a go at bringing them back. :thumbup:

Now we still have two races to go in 2011, but seen as the titles have already been wrapped up, I felt a few categories could get released early. Every time a new poll is created, I will link it up to the list below. I'm making the first couple today, and will gradually release more over the remainder of the season.

So get set everybody, and vote away!

F1 Rookie of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11080(voting closed)
F1 Racing driver of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11081(voting closed)
F1 Team of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11082(voting closed)
F1 Most exciting race of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11141(voting closed)
F1 Most boring race of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11142(voting closed)
F1 Moment of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11144(voting closed)
[b]F1 Controversy of the Year 2011
- viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11143(voting closed)
[b]F1 FAIL of the Year 2011
- viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11084(voting closed)
F1 Unsung Hero of the Year 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11147(voting closed)

Enjoy :)

Voting will close after December, at which point the results will be revealed! 8-)
Last edited by LewEngBridewell on 08 Jan 12, 18:53, edited 8 times in total.
So there we have it for now. Half of the polls have been released. There's been a great response so far, let's keep the votes coming in!

The other half of the polls will be released after the final race in Interlagos.

The polls will end at the beginning of January, when the results will be revealed.

Happy voting! :thumbup::drink:
And there we have it. The rest of the polls have been released. Keep the votes coming in and the results will be revealed in early January. The "FAIL" of the year poll is currently neck-and-neck so don't hesitate to go back to the older four polls and cast your vote there too.

If you have any feedback on the polls, or if you feel I could've done them better in any way, don't hesitate to say so (nicely!) here.

Happy voting!

:thumbup:
Unsung hero of the year poll...

Thanks for the suggestion scotty! I've had a go.

I found this one quite a challenge, as there are a multitude of potential candidates. Narrowing down was a task and a half, but see what you think. :)
How about some awards for this forum? Most ridiculous, outlanding and speculative conspiracy theory springs immediately to mind. :hehe:

Poster of the year? Cheeky git of the year? Things like that.
Last edited by andrew on 28 Nov 11, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
How about some awards for this forum? Most ridiculous, outlanding and speculative conspiracy theory springs immediately to mind. :hehe:

I've thought about awards for this forum too... one just feels they could get a tad out of hand though. How to create WW3 in one, easy step :hehe:
Poster of the year? Cheeky git of the year? Things like that.

:director: No centerfolds on here, ok? :hehe: And careful with the cheeks as well! :wink:

You ruin all my fun! :hehe:

That's my job on here honey - but you're welcome to join us at the dungeon for some real fun :twisted:
Time for some results to be revealed! :clap::drink:

The first polls have now closed, with the rest having an extra few hours to go. So, how did the Forumula1 community vote on F1 2011?

F1 Rookie of the Year 2011 = PAUL DI RESTA

With 70% of the overall vote, Paul Di Resta was voted as rookie of the year 2011. Hailing from Scotland, this former DTM champion made his début with the midfield Force India team, and instantly impressed with a points finish in the opening race at Melbourne. Another point was scored in Sepang, until a chain of problems brought about a points draught throughout the rest of the first half of the season. Seventh in Budapest saw a return to the top 10, and there he remained for much of the rest of the year, peaking with a strong 6th in Singapore. Despite being outscored by his more experienced team-mate Adrian Sutil, Di Resta's season was widely considered a success, and he will be retained by Force India for 2012, alongside F1 returnee Nico Hulkenberg.

Sergio Perez came second in the poll, with 20% of the vote.

F1 Racing driver of the Year 2011 = SEBASTIAN VETTEL

There was no contest here. Rather like the points tables in 2011, the results of this poll were dominated by Sebastian Vettel, with the German champion taking a whopping 72% of the vote. Wholly expected of course, for a man who's dominated pole position throughout the season and has taken 11 wins en route to a second successive title. This alone changed the record books. Vettel now holds the title of youngest double world champion, as well as youngest consecutive champion. Other "youngest" records that Vettel has under his belt already include; youngest driver to have taken part in an official practice session of a Grand Prix, youngest driver to score championship points, youngest driver to lead a race, youngest driver to secure pole position, and youngest driver to win a race. At only 24 years of age, and already such a landmark figure in the history of F1, it's looking pretty ominous for his competitors. Vettel will defend his title once again with Red Bull Racing in 2012.

With 20% Jenson Button came second in the poll, after a strong season in which he collected more points than popular team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

F1 Team of the year 2011 = RED BULL RACING

With a staggering 80% of the overall vote, Red Bull has been voted in as the F1 team of the year. Hardly a surprise given the team's dominance throughout 2011. Since buying out the struggling Jaguar squad and setting up their own team for 2005, this former sponsor of teams such as Sauber and Arrows have become a severe force to be reckoned with in their relatively short history in the sport. Early years of midfield hardship were swept behind when the team discovered the top step of the podium in 2009, and became the main challenger to eventual champions Brawn. Since then, Red Bull's form has not dipped. If anything it has got better, and 2011 was a master-class not only in speed, but also reliability and good decision making. For three seasons in a row Red Bull have shown up the giants that are McLaren and Ferrari, and will hope to continue doing so in 2012. The rest of the teams are going to have to pull something special out of the bag in order to bring the Bull's charge to an end.

Taking a distant second in the poll was Lotus (now Caterham), with 8% of the overall vote. Tony Fernandes would be proud.

F1 FAIL of the Year 2011 = FELIPE MASSA

In what a very closely contested poll, Felipe Massa emerged as Forumula1's Fail of the Year. The Brazilian took 31% of the overall vote, with Lewis Hamilton second (22%) and the Williams team third (17%). Massa has endured another difficult season, which is sadly becoming the norm after his horrifying accident in Budapest back in 2009. Things got off to a lowly start in Melbourne (a circuit he's often tripped up at in the past) with a lowly drive to 7th place. In fact, this was actually 9th until the two Sauber cars were eliminated from the results following a post-race investigation into their rear-wings. Things failed to get much better all season, and 5th place was the best he could achieve... not a single podium finish. His year was darkened by the resurgence of his old rivalry with Lewis Hamilton, to whom he lost the title on the very last lap of the final race back in 2008. The pair came together numerous times throughout the year and things became very bitter until an alleged resolution late in the year. Massa has been firmly stamped as a number two driver at Ferrari, and he's going to have to really fight hard next season if this is going to change. With double world champion Fernando Alonso staying firmly put at Ferrari for the foreseeable future, this is unlikely to occur.
It did make me laugh how people quite blatantly tactically voted to stop Hamilton getting the Fail award. It's only an internet poll ffs :hehe:
I said it before I don't see how Hamilton was the biggest fail of the season when he had equal second most wins behind Vettel. He had his share of bad races but Massa on the other hand was just consistently bad.

See our F1 related articles too!