Austin's F1 circuit.

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Bubbie
Posts: 291
Joined: 12 May 09, 21:00
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by Bubbie »

How funny is it that India was able to pull a track together but Texas wasn't? Maybe they can outsource their Grand Prix to India?
The opinions expressed in my posts do not reflect those of any entity I have association with - including my employer, your mother, or the voices in my head.
Hammer278
Banned
Posts: 13126
Joined: 29 Mar 10, 10:05
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM
Location: Land of Petronas

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by Hammer278 »

Bubbie wrote:How funny is it that India was able to pull a track together but Texas wasn't? Maybe they can outsource their Grand Prix to India?


Why is it funny? :confused:
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
Bubbie
Posts: 291
Joined: 12 May 09, 21:00
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by Bubbie »

Because one is supposedly a poor nation rife with corruption... and the other is India. Boom!!!! I'm on fire tonight. This stuff is gold Jerry. GOLD I tell ya! Come on, you had to love the outsourcing comment.

Actually, it is because India was being questioned about whether they could pull it off being so poor and with all the corruption... While Texas is one of the biggest economies in the most powerful country in the world. Texas alone has about the same Gross product as all of India (according to Wikipedia).
The opinions expressed in my posts do not reflect those of any entity I have association with - including my employer, your mother, or the voices in my head.
Hammer278
Banned
Posts: 13126
Joined: 29 Mar 10, 10:05
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM
Location: Land of Petronas

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by Hammer278 »

It might not look like it, but India is actually on a boom in their economy along with China....so amidst all the poor you see on the roads, they do have some serious resources to work with. I would say India's biggest issue is corruption and yeah, that was their biggest deterrent to running a successful GP.

Austin on the other hand, is in a country which has taken a huge nosedive in the economic standings with the financial sector practically bankrupt, and as nearly all human beings ultimately work for the banks...I don't see whats so surprising about their latest failure.
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
andrew
I disagree
Posts: 12986
Joined: 02 Apr 10, 19:39
Location: Somewhere over there

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by andrew »

Sounds ominous. Little wonder MrE is saying it's cancelled. Looks like the race organisers have been given chance after chance and have failed to hold up their end of the deal. Having the New Jersey race on the back-burner has been a good move so that a US GP is still on the cards for 2013.

Ecclestone: Texas race likely to be dropped
What's Burning?
Banned
Posts: 21486
Joined: 24 Feb 10, 00:09
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1
Location: PULL IN CASE OF FIRE

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by What's Burning? »

Build a fence around it then they'll be able to get the Texas government to support it. :D
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
User avatar
NocturnalTendencies
Posts: 308
Joined: 30 Jul 09, 22:34
Location: Cali

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by NocturnalTendencies »

What's Burning? wrote:Build a fence around it then they'll be able to get the Texas government to support it. :D

That or a trailer park. :) Texas...
Kimi, what’s the 5th grid place like? "It’s the 5th grid place." - Kimi
User avatar
madbrad
Posts: 3194
Joined: 04 Mar 07, 00:34
Location: Pickering ON Canada

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by madbrad »

I don't see what is so wrong about the Texas government investing in this. It brings revenue into the state does it not? State and city governments routinely put up cash for stadiums for NHL, NFL, MLB etc because it's a boost to the economy. Shooting one's self in the foot seems appropot in a place with so many guns though. Which brings me to a question. Since the race will be in Texas, do the drivers carry guns for use in passing maneuvres??
sent from my supercray using assembler.
_______________________________



Image
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
User avatar
f1usa
Posts: 449
Joined: 11 Sep 07, 19:10
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by f1usa »

madbrad wrote:I don't see what is so wrong about the Texas government investing in this. It brings revenue into the state does it not? State and city governments routinely put up cash for stadiums for NHL, NFL, MLB etc because it's a boost to the economy. Shooting one's self in the foot seems appropot in a place with so many guns though. Which brings me to a question. Since the race will be in Texas, do the drivers carry guns for use in passing maneuvres??

Tavo Hellmand did negotiate with Austin City council for $25M for each Austin GP over a ten year period. But Tavo doesn't have a pot to Pi$$ in and needed investors to finance construction of the $250M Austin GP track. Construction at track stopped because Tavo Hellmand would not sign over rights of the yearly Austin $25M to the major share holders to pay the yearly FIA sanction fee. The share holders can not turn a profit having to spend $500M over a ten year period. If that doesn't make it clear, then you should have rode the long school bus.
User avatar
myownalias
Mod
Posts: 9445
Joined: 27 May 09, 23:16
Favourite Driver: Jenson Button
Favourite Team: Williams
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by myownalias »

f1usa wrote:
madbrad wrote:I don't see what is so wrong about the Texas government investing in this. It brings revenue into the state does it not? State and city governments routinely put up cash for stadiums for NHL, NFL, MLB etc because it's a boost to the economy. Shooting one's self in the foot seems appropot in a place with so many guns though. Which brings me to a question. Since the race will be in Texas, do the drivers carry guns for use in passing maneuvres??

Tavo Hellmand did negotiate with Austin City council for $25M for each Austin GP over a ten year period. But Tavo doesn't have a pot to Pi$$ in and needed investors to finance construction of the $250M Austin GP track. Construction at track stopped because Tavo Hellmand would not sign over rights of the yearly Austin $25M to the major share holders to pay the yearly FIA sanction fee. The share holders can not turn a profit having to spend $500M over a ten year period. If that doesn't make it clear, then you should have rode the long school bus.

My understanding based on what has been reported is that Tavo Hellmund failed to provide proof or hard cash to sanction the event, the local government then refused to pay the $25m until after the event after it was announced that a second grand prix would be taking place in 2013 in NJ, the local government don't see it as such a good investment with a second US GP; and they are probably right, I believe more people will attend the NJ/NY GP than the Austin GP, plus the fact that the mid-west is more into NASCAR than F1, I've been in Kansas for three years and yet to find a single F1 fan, but have met hundreds of NASCAR fans. It doesn't make sense for the local Austin government to support a loss making venture!
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownalias
User avatar
Fred_C_Dobbs
Posts: 950
Joined: 01 Apr 10, 23:16

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Tavo isn't convinced the deal is dead:

Tavo Hellmund n’abandonne pas

Tavo Hellmund, le promoteur du GP d’Austin, espère toujours que le GP d’Austin se déroule dès 2012, même s’il reconnaît que les organisateurs de l’épreuve ne sont pas parvenus à réunir les fonds nécessaires. « Nous devrions féliciter M. Ecclestone, il nous a envoyé de nombreuses requêtes et nous n’avons pas réussi à apporter une réponse satisfaisante. Le projet a avant tout besoin de répondre aux obligations financières de la F1. Il existe toutefois une solution. Si M. Ecclestone et la FOM apportent leur argent, il y aura un Grand Prix en novembre. »


Google linguistic butchery:

Tavo Hellmund, the promoter of GP Austin, still hopes that the GP is held in Austin in 2012, although it acknowledges that the organizers of the event failed to raise the necessary funds. "We should congratulate Mr. Ecclestone, we have sent numerous requests and we have failed to respond satisfactorily. The project was first necessary to meet the financial obligations of the F1. However, there is a solution. If Mr Ecclestone and FOM make their money, there will be a Grand Prix in November. "
Last edited by Fred_C_Dobbs on 25 Nov 11, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll bet ya a hundred and five thousand dollars you go to sleep before I do."
--Dobbsie
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26935
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by darwin dali »

Fred_C_Dobbs wrote:Tavo isn't convinced the deal is dead:

Tavo Hellmund n’abandonne pas

Tavo Hellmund, le promoteur du GP d’Austin, espère toujours que le GP d’Austin se déroule dès 2012, même s’il reconnaît que les organisateurs de l’épreuve ne sont pas parvenus à réunir les fonds nécessaires. « Nous devrions féliciter M. Ecclestone, il nous a envoyé de nombreuses requêtes et nous n’avons pas réussi à apporter une réponse satisfaisante. Le projet a avant tout besoin de répondre aux obligations financières de la F1. Il existe toutefois une solution. Si M. Ecclestone et la FOM apportent leur argent, il y aura un Grand Prix en novembre. »


Google linguistic buthery:

Tavo Hellmund, the promoter of GP Austin, still hopes that the GP is held in Austin in 2012, although it acknowledges that the organizers of the event failed to raise the necessary funds. "We should congratulate Mr. Ecclestone, we have sent numerous requests and we have failed to respond satisfactorily. The project was first necessary to meet the financial obligations of the F1. However, there is a solution. If Mr Ecclestone and FOM make their money, there will be a Grand Prix in November. "



Not 'we have sent numerous requests' but he (BE) has sent them to us.
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
myownalias
Mod
Posts: 9445
Joined: 27 May 09, 23:16
Favourite Driver: Jenson Button
Favourite Team: Williams
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by myownalias »

Fred_C_Dobbs wrote:Tavo isn't convinced the deal is dead:

Tavo Hellmund n’abandonne pas

Tavo Hellmund, the promoter of GP Austin, still hopes that the GP is held in Austin in 2012, although it acknowledges that the organizers of the event failed to raise the necessary funds. "We should congratulate Mr. Ecclestone, we have sent numerous requests and we have failed to respond satisfactorily. The project was first necessary to meet the financial obligations of the F1. However, there is a solution. If Mr Ecclestone and FOM make their money, there will be a Grand Prix in November. "

I'm confused by this statement, I thought Tavo's contract had been cancelled and FOM were now dealing with COTA, but COTA don't have the funds to pay the sanctioning fee as the local government refuse to pay the $25m up front given that there will be a second US Grand Prix in NJ, what's the truth? I have heard so many different contradictory stories, I don't know what to think!
myownaliasThe Englishman in KansasTwitter: @myownalias
User avatar
madbrad
Posts: 3194
Joined: 04 Mar 07, 00:34
Location: Pickering ON Canada

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by madbrad »

f1usa wrote:
madbrad wrote:I don't see what is so wrong about the Texas government investing in this. It brings revenue into the state does it not? State and city governments routinely put up cash for stadiums for NHL, NFL, MLB etc because it's a boost to the economy. Shooting one's self in the foot seems appropot in a place with so many guns though. Which brings me to a question. Since the race will be in Texas, do the drivers carry guns for use in passing maneuvres??

Tavo Hellmand did negotiate with Austin City council for $25M for each Austin GP over a ten year period. But Tavo doesn't have a pot to Pi$$ in and needed investors to finance construction of the $250M Austin GP track. Construction at track stopped because Tavo Hellmand would not sign over rights of the yearly Austin $25M to the major share holders to pay the yearly FIA sanction fee. The share holders can not turn a profit having to spend $500M over a ten year period. If that doesn't make it clear, then you should have rode the long school bus.

Your post appears to have no relationship whatsoever to the post of mine which you have quoted.
sent from my supercray using assembler.
_______________________________



Image
DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!
User avatar
Matt_1222
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 11, 16:54

Re: Trouble brewing for Austin's F1 circuit?

Post by Matt_1222 »

if Austin no longer happens, what Bernie has basically done is got austin to start building a track, then figured out he can have another street race in New Joyzee, decided he'd prefer that and told Austin not to bother anymore

:vomit:
         :director:  <---Bernie
"Incident involving Car 3 is under investigation."