- 17 Oct 11, 16:47#280285
Well it seems that Alonso isn't too happy about the media being interested in the new front wing. 
Alonso annoyed after media’s interest in new wing
Alonso annoyed after media’s interest in new wing
F1 and Motorsport Forums
Fred_C_Dobbs wrote:So instead of being shaped like a tree, fanning out from the base, F1's evolutionary map more resembles a pyramid, broad at the base and tapering at its top to a single point.Like Bernie's head.

scotty wrote:One team can't just copy another's parts directly and expect that they will work to the same level (as all aero parts are intrinsically linked), so there is obviously some other logic going on here. Perhaps Ferrari just made the most efficient front wing they physically could, and it happens that Red Bull already found the most efficient design possible at this time hence why they're similar!According to Adam Cooper (I think it was him, I can't keep track of all the people I follow on Twitter!) it was more about understanding how the Red Bull works, how the airflow travels over the car and how the front wing they use influences this. Of course, they'd be able to do this quicker, for only $100m and a photocopier...

Denthúl wrote:I would have expected they could have figured that out to a pretty large extent in the windtunnel rather than running a completely experimental part at a race weekend...!scotty wrote:One team can't just copy another's parts directly and expect that they will work to the same level (as all aero parts are intrinsically linked), so there is obviously some other logic going on here. Perhaps Ferrari just made the most efficient front wing they physically could, and it happens that Red Bull already found the most efficient design possible at this time hence why they're similar!According to Adam Cooper (I think it was him, I can't keep track of all the people I follow on Twitter!) it was more about understanding how the Red Bull works, how the airflow travels over the car and how the front wing they use influences this. Of course, they'd be able to do this quicker, for only $100m and a photocopier...
scotty wrote:A wind tunnel can only do so much, though, right? One of the apparent gains was that rapid changes of direction were much better, although the wing had very little impact in other areas on its own. I'll see if I can find it.Denthúl wrote:I would have expected they could have figured that out to a pretty large extent in the windtunnel rather than running a completely experimental part at a race weekend...!scotty wrote:One team can't just copy another's parts directly and expect that they will work to the same level (as all aero parts are intrinsically linked), so there is obviously some other logic going on here. Perhaps Ferrari just made the most efficient front wing they physically could, and it happens that Red Bull already found the most efficient design possible at this time hence why they're similar!According to Adam Cooper (I think it was him, I can't keep track of all the people I follow on Twitter!) it was more about understanding how the Red Bull works, how the airflow travels over the car and how the front wing they use influences this. Of course, they'd be able to do this quicker, for only $100m and a photocopier...

stonemonkey wrote:Just watching FP1, seeing Massas wing made me think of Vettels wing in the moments before he hit Button in Spa last year.That had not occurred to me but you are spot-on. Ferrari only nicked the idea but not the complete details. Now they are working out the kinks in the same way RBR did, through trial and error.
McLaren Racing opened its new state-of-the-art Rac[…]
Madring was a pretty dull race. I wouldn't mi[…]
Not sure yet, but it looks that way - Kimi is on[…]
Swap-in out addons, use only what you really need!