FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By bud
i did some snooping on the F1 website heres a quick summery :P
and whats with the bub remarking hehe you better not be a guy calling me that haha

2003 - 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2,1

1991 - 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

1961 - 9 6 4 3 2 1

1950 - 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 & 1 point fastest lap
By Smokestoomuch
Ok, intersting discovery time.

In 1950 the first FIA sanctioned World Championship race was held.

Point awarded to top five finishers: 8 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 2 with 1 point going to fastest lap.

More to follow.....
By Smokestoomuch
...whats with the bub...

Ooops, typing quicker than thinking.

1991? Does seem vaguely familiar now - Am I right in thinking there were complaints from Prost along the lines of "under the old system I'd have won" ?

Should they bring back the 1 point for fastest lap? I've always been against the US idea of points for pole - pole is something that helps you go on to score points - but something for fastest lap would be incentive to the likes of Red Bull and Torro Rosso.
By Irv the Swerve
In the GP2 series they give out points for the fastest lap, yes i would like to see that. Back in Bahrain, Nico got the fastest lap but he must have thought he was still in Gp2. :)
By Selcouth_Feline
What was the rationale behind the 1961 points system? Looks really odd! :?

And why did they phase out the point for the fastest lap? I'm not sure whether having a point for the fastest lap would be a good thing or not
By Smokestoomuch
Pros and cons I'd say

A GP is from the start to the finish - if you're not good enough to get to the end do you deserve points?

If it was introduced and I was boss of Aguri or Spyker I'd qualify with minimum fuel but then opt to start from the pit lane. Give all the other runners a chance to get out of the way, then do a couple of stonking laps on new tyres with an empty tank.
By Irv the Swerve
Speaking of Aguri, Anthony Davidson is a good sign for the team.
By Irv the Swerve
He is not a bad test driver although its different when its a race.

When i was watching the Chinese and Japanese GP, itv kept getting mix up with the Spyker car with the ferrari, just the same thing with the Midland and the Mclaren. They should make the paint job a bit more unique. :)
By Smokestoomuch
The Midland and the McLarens DID look unbelievably similar (on the TV screen at least).

Personally, I think the Spykers and Super Aguris now have two of the nicest looking paint jobs in the field, although the SA looks quite similar to the Toyotas - red and white are the Japanese national colours.

As for test drivers "graduating"

I think it's tempting to think Davidson is going to be fantastic because he sets good times in practise, but Kubica frequently set the fastest overall time in practise, but only qualifies in the high mid-field - although has done brilliantly in the races (well the dry ones).
By Selcouth_Feline
When i was watching the Chinese and Japanese GP, itv kept getting mix up with the Spyker car with the ferrari, just the same thing with the Midland and the Mclaren. They should make the paint job a bit more unique. :)

Or just get better commentators ;)
By Irv the Swerve
:)

Whats the worst or craziest paint scheme you can recall?
Mine is the the green and yellow, Camel Benetton back in 93.
By Smokestoomuch
The first BAR Lucky Strikes/555 paint job.

The FIA wouldn't allow them to have one car in each scheme so they went 50/50 - I wish they hadn't, it looked terrible.

Other than that lots of the older colour schemes were a bit garish - if you see old pictures it's surprising how bad they look. The last five years or so they've looked much beter.
By Irv the Swerve
The first BAR Lucky Strikes/555 paint job.

The FIA wouldn't allow them to have one car in each scheme so they went 50/50 - I wish they hadn't, it looked terrible.

Other than that lots of the older colour schemes were a bit garish - if you see old pictures it's surprising how bad they look. The last five years or so they've looked much beter.
That car made me feel sick. :?

See our F1 related articles too!