FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Dazza
Hi,

I'm new here and i wanted to share a couple of thoughts.
First of all, congrats to Renault for winning in Japan and probably clinching both titles.

I'm not sure i entirely understand why Schuey publicly conceded the driver's crown. I'd say i'm about 99% sure Alonso will be champion and about 90% sure renault will win the constructors.

But let's imagine that towards the end of the Brazilian GP, Massa is leading a Ferrari 1-2 and Alonso has spun off the track. In this case, Ferrari would win the constructor's. Schuey said he didn't want to win the driver's title that way (with his oponent not finishing). Does that mean he would let Massa win and thus sacrifice the driver's title and simply settle for the constructor's?

My other thought : If Ferrari do lose both titles but win the last race, they will have won more races than Renault, so that should be something of a positive for the team. Interestingly, in 2005 McLaren won more races than Renault, but still managed to lose both titles. The same could happen again this year. Statistically, you'd think the team that wins the most races wins the titles (or one at least).
By Smokestoomuch
Schuey said he didn't want to win the driver's title that way

That makes a nice change then - a bit of different from 1994 and 1997 when he actively tried to stop his opponent finishing.

In the scenario you've given - Massa 1st, Schumacher 2nd and Alonso DNF Massa would have to give way and let Schumacher win the title.
Last edited by Smokestoomuch on 10 Oct 06, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
By Freddie
He will take it if he can get it, no matter how - that's the Scummi style, win at any price
By Smokestoomuch
Surely Alonso is too smart to put himself a position where either Ferrari could take him out.,

Beside, I don't think Massa start playing dodgems on Schumacher's behalf - he seems genuinely delighted to be a Ferrari driver and wants to do well - but not a the cost of disgracing himself.
By Dazza

Beside, I don't think Massa start playing dodgems on Schumacher's behalf - he seems genuinely delighted to be a Ferrari driver and wants to do well - but not a the cost of disgracing himself.

And he would especially love to win his home GP which would give him the added benefit of a confidence boost for next season.
By darwin dali
Hi,

My other thought : If Ferrari do lose both titles but win the last race, they will have won more races than Renault, so that should be something of a positive for the team. Interestingly, in 2005 McLaren won more races than Renault, but still managed to lose both titles. The same could happen again this year. Statistically, you'd think the team that wins the most races wins the titles (or one at least).

It used to be a truism that if you win more races, you win the title. Not anymore because the value of a win got degraded when the FIA adjusted the point scale - in response to Ferrari's dominance mind you.
By darwin dali
Or consider this scenario: FA DNF, MS is running second behind GF. Will he attack as hard as he can to get P1 and win the title? The constructors' title would be lost either way.
By bud
F1 is about consistancy now winning a Grand Prix isnt as important as it used to be. Kimi was only 2 points behind Schumacher in 03 and he only had one win for the year. But like Darwin has said they changed it due to Ferrari but not their dominance no no it was their style of dominance. we had no racing going on F1 was just a race to 3rd 1st and 2nd was already decided pre season by Toad and Brawn!

what about this scenario, Kimi running P1 Schuey P2 Nando gets taken out by a Ferrari powered or soon to be Ferrari powered car will Kimi let mike through or would he take the race win as a parting gift to Mclaren?

Im sure Todt will be on the phone to Redbull and Spyker come raceday :evil:
By darwin dali
I think you give JT too much credit in terms of evilness :twisted::twisted::twisted::mrgreen:
By simac
It doesn't matter what MS does or where he finishes I reakon. Alonso can cruise to a 4/5th or even 7th/8th place finish with the engine turned down, whistling a song and think about what he's going to have for tea when he gets home.

Unless there are dirty tricks at play that is.

It's done and dusted :D
By Smokestoomuch
One would hope that the FIA/stewards are carefully watching for any "unfortunate incident" that may befall Alonso at Inter Lagos.

On Bub's point about the evilness of Todt (a name that is oddly very close to "Death" in German), I'd have to agree.

The problem with the Ferrari dominance wasn't the same team winning all the time, it was the way in which competition between the the two best cars (both Ferrari's) was prevented ensuring MSCH's lead was uncontested that did terrible harm to F1 and prompted the FIA to take action.

Anyone know when the previous change to the scoring system occurred?
By Irv the Swerve
I think it was 02 or 03,
and i looked it up and it was in 03
By Smokestoomuch
No, not the change to the 10-8-6 etc system, the one before that when the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system was adopted - that is if this system wasn't used since the inception of F1.
By Smokestoomuch
Is this a guess or is it based on something, because I was watching F1 in the late 80s (All praise to the the Greeat Senna) and as far as I can remeber it was 10-6-5 etc then - in fact I can't remeber it being anything else before that until the anti-Ferrari change already mentioned - although I wouldn't rule out a memory lapse.

See our F1 related articles too!