FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

From your dishwasher to F1 memorabilia, advertise here! For regulars only.
By 1750
Hi All -

in the back of my garage I have what I believe is the sigend ACTUAL helmet that Alan Jones used throughout 1980 to win the F1 world championship....

I will have to verify with my old man as to whether it was from the 1980 or whether it was from 1985 (AJ's last year in F1)... however it is definitely AJs authentic race helmet from an F1 season and signed.

I should be able to find the year out easily once I pull the helmet out of it's storage based on the markings on it anyway (white with thin red stripes from memory).

AJ very kindly gave this to me when I was 11 and my old man was doing an interview with him at his Gold Coast home a long time ago.... (maybe 20 years or more).

Anyway - I may have to sell this due to a rather tight patch financially but don't want to let something that in my opinion is a worthy piece of Australian F1 history - go for peanuts.....

So I thought I'd ask the enthusiasts more in the know than I what they think the helmet is worth.....

Thanks in advance gents
By deMuRe
let eBay decide...
By texasmr2
If it was from '85 when he drove for Lola/Haas and if I could afford it I would make you an offer but 'this bloke is broke' LOL. I would also ask some of the F1 memorabilia shop's, there are a bunch of them online, they might buy it from you.

Good luck,
Gregg

PS,
I am doing some research for you but I need a few quality photo's of the healmet, can you get me some?
Last edited by texasmr2 on 25 Nov 07, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
By 1750
If it was from '85 when he drove for Lola/Haas and I could afford it I would make you an offer but 'this bloke is broke' LOL. I would also ask some of the F1 memorabilia shop's, there are a bunch of them online, they might buy it from you.

Good luck,
Gregg

PS,
I am doing some research for you but I need a few quality photo's of the healmet, can you get me some?

Thanks Gregg -
I'm clearing out the storage garage this w/e so will post photos soon....
It is more than likely that I will ebay the item, however, do want to guage a reserve price for the helmet.
By texasmr2
I will help you guage a reserve price once I have pic's as I have a few people waiting to see them.
By 7UpJordan
In an F1 shop at the White Rose centre in Leeds, they have a Senna helmet from his Lotus days which was priced at £295. That's quite cheap when you consider the price of crash helmets and also who it is who wore the helmet.

Also this same shop has an excess stock of Minichamps of Button's 2004 BAR, they're practically everywhere and have had their price slashed twice. :P
By texasmr2
1750 nice pic's thank's and I am gonna send them out to a few people and motorsport's memerobilia shop's for you and see if we can get it sold. I did a search looking for AJ wearing that helmet but found know match's so it may take a true F1 or AJ historian to findout the it's exact history.

Now if it was my helmet I would not even consider parting with it, F1 is my personal 'crack' lol and I would most likely have it sitting on my nightstand :lol: so I could fall asleep and wakeup looking at it. Heck I would probably wear it around the house :shock::lol: .

Anyway give me sometime to get it out there and guage the interest and it's market value.

Gregg
By darwin dali
Heck I would probably wear it around the house :shock::lol: .

I figured as much! Hey, you're a mere 3 hrs from wacky Waco with weirdo David there :mrgreen:
By texasmr2
I figured as much! Hey, you're a mere 3 hrs from wacky Waco with weirdo David there :mrgreen:

That's too much risk as I would not know if Cheney was roaming the area :shock::lol: !

At an old job of mine when I worked night's and still had my MR2T I would show up in full racing gear, helmet racing suit and racing shoe's! I totally blew everyone's mind, they wanted to have me committed :o !
By texasmr2
I cannot get anyone to reply concerning the helmet's value. I suggest that you just hang on to it.

See our F1 related articles too!