FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By vaptin
Think it was more down to the tyres he saved from qualifying and good strategy, being on fresher tyres at the right time than him preserving his tyres better.

Good move on Jenson though, was surprised by the difference in pace, but he was lucky Jenson didn't turn in on him.
By acosmichippo
I wonder if this will tempt more teams into making as few Q runs as possible. One or two grid positions sure doesn't seem to mean as much as one or two more laps on a set of tires anymore.
By bud
I wonder if this will tempt more teams into making as few Q runs as possible. One or two grid positions sure doesn't seem to mean as much as one or two more laps on a set of tires anymore.

This is true, Maybe Q3 will be only one lap wonders from now on. Which is sad for the fans.
By vaptin

This is true, Maybe Q3 will be only one lap wonders from now on. Which is sad for the fans.

I think so too. But I was thinking more saving tyres in practice sessions? I know they get some taken off them, but they take some with them for the race?
By LewEngBridewell
Maybe, but in places like Monaco, where it is difficult to pass, grid position should still be key.
By acosmichippo

I think so too. But I was thinking more saving tyres in practice sessions? I know they get some taken off them, but they take some with them for the race?

Practice tires are not used in qualifying or the race.
By oaba09
Although I would have preferred to see Jenson win instead of lewis, I am happy that a mclaren driver got the win....

I'm a mclaren fan first...
By LewEngBridewell
Although I would have preferred to see Jenson win instead of lewis, I am happy that a mclaren driver got the win....

I'm a mclaren fan first...

I'm also a McLaren fan first. 8-)

Not bothered which of the drivers wins, as long as it's a McLaren :hehe:
By What's Burning?
Absolutely NOT a necessary thread, but you've got to admit that today he showed driving skills second to none! Flawless drive, overtook everyone he needed to, and showed how much more he can get out of car that his teammate. The guy is simply exciting to watch.
By What's Burning?
I honestly expected the McLaren guys to finish in the opposite fashion today after what happened in Malaysia - Button to hold to the team's strategy to have fresh tires at the end, and Ham (despite his greater number of fresh tires) to run through them quicker with his aggressive style. Big congrats to Lewis for proving me wrong.

Is it just me or were those trophies the fugliest trophies you've ever seen?

It's just you, I rather liked them. Much more pertinent than some meaningless chrome plate or silver hunk of metal don't you think?
By nish2280
I honestly expected the McLaren guys to finish in the opposite fashion today after what happened in Malaysia - Button to hold to the team's strategy to have fresh tires at the end, and Ham (despite his greater number of fresh tires) to run through them quicker with his aggressive style. Big congrats to Lewis for proving me wrong.

Is it just me or were those trophies the fugliest trophies you've ever seen?

It's just you, I rather liked them. Much more pertinent than some meaningless chrome plate or silver hunk of metal don't you think?

Woah there, what is with the tough words. I had to google define: pertinent.

But i did like the trophies, at least you can look at it and be like "Yeah, thats the one i got after the awesome race in China". The rest are just some chrome silverware which you cant really identify from each other.
By LewEngBridewell
I concur. The trophies really were quite something. 8-)
By EagleF1-27
Does anybody know how just before the first round of pitstops Hamilton managed to slip down to sixth in the first place? Just been watching the rerun and all of a sudden he was behind Massa with no explanation. Apart from what must have been an error somewhere, a flawless measured race from Lewis. Although it has to be said some of his overtakes have in previous races spelled the end when drivers have turned in on him as he has been making the move.
By What's Burning?
I concur. The trophies really were quite something. 8-)

They also do serve as very functional champagne glasses.

Does anybody know how just before the first round of pitstops Hamilton managed to slip down to sixth in the first place? Just been watching the rerun and all of a sudden he was behind Massa with no explanation. Apart from what must have been an error somewhere, a flawless measured race from Lewis. Although it has to be said some of his overtakes have in previous races spelled the end when drivers have turned in on him as he has been making the move.

He pitted after Button and Vettel... so his tires for one additional lap must have been abysmal. You saw him sliding before Massa had overtaken him.

See our F1 related articles too!