- 14 Nov 07, 17:49#24353
About FORUMula1.com
F1 and Motorsport Forums
F1 and Motorsport Forums
bud wrote:oval racing passing cant compare to road course passing..Why not? A pass is a pass. Have you ever driven on an oval? I have and I can assure you it takes as much or more skill to saty off the wall. When you are sitting in a small Formula car an inch off the ground and coming out of a corner at 125 mph and upon exit are less than 2 inches from the wall, let me tell you after 50 laps I was mentally drained......The level of concentration needed to go as fast as you can each lap is tremendous. On a road course i could at least relax during the 3/4 mile straight.....
that was good though
Flyer23 wrote:I think roadcourse's are just as mentaly draining if not more than an oval but I have never raced on an oval so this is only my opinion. On an oval you only have two corner's to concentrate on compared to a roadcourse's many turn's which are made up of varying radius's.bud wrote:oval racing passing cant compare to road course passing..Why not? A pass is a pass. Have you ever driven on an oval? I have and I can assure you it takes as much or more skill to saty off the wall. When you are sitting in a small Formula car an inch off the ground and coming out of a corner at 125 mph and upon exit are less than 2 inches from the wall, let me tell you after 50 laps I was mentally drained......The level of concentration needed to go as fast as you can each lap is tremendous. On a road course i could at least relax during the 3/4 mile straight.....
that was good though
Flyer23 wrote:Not only this time , but over all in general. F1 has become nothing more than a parade. The only passing takes place at the start. At least in NASCAR there is passing for 500 miles and at every position.that's what frustrates me the most compared to other motorsport F1 is the one with the least amount of overtaking. its supposed to be the pinnacle but it sometimes it is just boring

texasmr2 wrote:I am not saying that one is more difficult than the other, but each one has it's own characteristics. Ovals are not simply going around in circles. it is harder than it looks. I would rather road race but my carreer in racing has led me to several small ovals and they were very difficult in my opinion. No room for even a small error and for me my concentration was at 100 % 95% of the lap where on a road course the same level was about 80% because you could take a breath during the lap. The ovals I raced on were 5/8 of a mile so you see there was not much time to breath on the straights...Flyer23 wrote:I think roadcourse's are just as mentaly draining if not more than an oval but I have never raced on an oval so this is only my opinion. On an oval you only have two corner's to concentrate on compared to a roadcourse's many turn's which are made up of varying radius's.bud wrote:oval racing passing cant compare to road course passing..Why not? A pass is a pass. Have you ever driven on an oval? I have and I can assure you it takes as much or more skill to saty off the wall. When you are sitting in a small Formula car an inch off the ground and coming out of a corner at 125 mph and upon exit are less than 2 inches from the wall, let me tell you after 50 laps I was mentally drained......The level of concentration needed to go as fast as you can each lap is tremendous. On a road course i could at least relax during the 3/4 mile straight.....
that was good though
Flyer23 wrote:Very well put and I do understand the point your trying to make, good post, very insightful and knowledgeable.texasmr2 wrote:I am not saying that one is more difficult than the other, but each one has it's own characteristics. Ovals are not simply going around in circles. it is harder than it looks. I would rather road race but my carreer in racing has led me to several small ovals and they were very difficult in my opinion. No room for even a small error and for me my concentration was at 100 % 95% of the lap where on a road course the same level was about 80% because you could take a breath during the lap. The ovals I raced on were 5/8 of a mile so you see there was not much time to breath on the straights...Flyer23 wrote:I think roadcourse's are just as mentaly draining if not more than an oval but I have never raced on an oval so this is only my opinion. On an oval you only have two corner's to concentrate on compared to a roadcourse's many turn's which are made up of varying radius's.bud wrote:oval racing passing cant compare to road course passing..Why not? A pass is a pass. Have you ever driven on an oval? I have and I can assure you it takes as much or more skill to saty off the wall. When you are sitting in a small Formula car an inch off the ground and coming out of a corner at 125 mph and upon exit are less than 2 inches from the wall, let me tell you after 50 laps I was mentally drained......The level of concentration needed to go as fast as you can each lap is tremendous. On a road course i could at least relax during the 3/4 mile straight.....
that was good though
McLaren Fan wrote:Formula One is about more than just overtaking. It's about technology, team work, top class drivers, glitz and glamour, business and politics, and strategy.Here we go:
Some people think motor racing has to have huge and numerous crashes and constant place-swapping for it to be interesting. If they cannot appreciate the subtleties of the sport then they don't have to watch it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. 
darwin_dali wrote:Why thank you DD. I agree with you about passion too. I'll go back and add it.McLaren Fan wrote:Formula One is about more than just overtaking. It's about technology, team work, top class drivers, glitz and glamour, business and politics, and strategy.Here we go:
Some people think motor racing has to have huge and numerous crashes and constant place-swapping for it to be interesting. If they cannot appreciate the subtleties of the sport then they don't have to watch it.
I absolutely agree with you and you put it in the most concise way possible - there I said it. I would go even further and say: this is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time that offers a description of what Formula One is.
The only thing I would add to it is 'passion', but that's a description of emotions involved with F1 and that's a whole new aspect of F1 that would lead to as many descriptions/opinions/definitions as there are fans...

McLaren Racing opened its new state-of-the-art Rac[…]
Madring was a pretty dull race. I wouldn't mi[…]
Not sure yet, but it looks that way - Kimi is on[…]
Swap-in out addons, use only what you really need!