Better on TV
28%
A great weekend out
11%
Get down to that track right now!
61%
By juggles
Ok guys and gals.
I'm assuming that some of you fanatics have been to a GP before.
I'm 17 and have been in to the sport since around 03, although i watched it loosely a while before then. However, I've never gone to a GP, and I hoping that as my 18th bday present I can wrangle a couple of tickets to Silverstone 08.

That's the blurb. Now, while I know I'm still going to try and go anyway just because I have to on principal, IS IT WORTH IT?

The coverage on ITV is fantastic. Is it really worth going to the circuit and paying hundreds of pounds just to see the blur of the cars going past you? I'm sure the atmosphere is great, but it must be hard to build up excitement if you can only see one straight or turn? Are there TVs around to help you see what's going on at other parts of the circuit?

Just venting a few worries about live F1. I think I'll love it anyway but does it really work as a spectator sport in the same way as, say, football?

Thanks in advance
By 7UpJordan
The only thing to worry about is actually keeping track of the race itself, there's commentry over the sound system, but the noise of the cars means you can't hear a thing, but fortunately there's those Kangaroo TV systems now which have commentry and you can watch onboard footage of whoever you want, so I'll get myself one for next year's race at Silverstone. :)
By Ron Dennis
i spent a fortune visiting GP's over the years....and there is a reason for that.
By racechick
I used Kangaroo last year at Silveretone. It was great. You could follow any driver and swop to the stats screen any time for lap times. Get down to that track right now boy, theres nothing like a live race. And camp nearby to get the real atmosphere :D
By 7UpJordan
I used Kangaroo last year at Silveretone. It was great. You could follow any driver and swop to the stats screen any time for lap times. Get down to that track right now boy, theres nothing like a live race. And camp nearby to get the real atmosphere :D

Just the thing I need. :)

You going to Silverstone again next year? :)
By racechick
Yep. Got the tickets :D
By 7UpJordan
Yep. Got the tickets :D

I need to get mine ordered soon, mate might be coming with me, but need to decide if I'm gonna go for the whole weekend and where to stay etc. :)
By racechick
camping behind copse is good, you can walk to the track and pubs. Not many facilities but you dont need them. 3 day ticket is same price as a Sunday one so you might as well get that and decide later when you're going :D
By juggles
same price for 3 day as a Sunday ticket!? i love this crazy country. and camping sounds like the way to go, being at one with nature and all that...which reminds me, i still have a borrowed tent from DofE award. sorted
By 7UpJordan
camping behind copse is good, you can walk to the track and pubs. Not many facilities but you dont need them. 3 day ticket is same price as a Sunday one so you might as well get that and decide later when you're going :D

Right, better get my ticket then, you getting a general access ticket that allows you to watch the action pretty much wherever you want except stands?

Perhaps we should have a forum meet-up somewhere if plenty of us are going. :)
By racechick

Right, better get my ticket then, you getting a general access ticket that allows you to watch the action pretty much wherever you want except stands?

Perhaps we should have a forum meet-up somewhere if plenty of us are going. :)

:D Forum meet up sounds great idea!. ive had general entry b4, its fine but requires getting up at unearthly hours to bag a good place. Last couple of years ive been in bridge which is the cheapest reserved seating (£144 as opposed to about £100 for general entry-but that was discounted for early purchase). Im in Bridge again this time. great viewing as they power out of Bridge and you can see them going round to Brooklands(is that the right name?) and Luffield. You dont have to lug a cair round with you and you can wander about without loosing your seat,and go shopping for kit :lol::lol: . Also on friday and sat your ticket is a 'roving' ticket which means you can go in any grandstand seat! Last couple of years we've sat looking right into the pits for qualifying :lol::lol:
By Ferrari-GTO
Next season will be my first live* GP too. I am going to take my sweetheart with me so I am still thinking which GP will be the best (ehem.. affordable $$). Another issue is deciding which tickets are we going to buy.

I was worried about how was it going to be: foom foom fooom...and wait couple of minutes and fooom fooom foooom... and now knowing another details, so Kangaroo Tv
will be a must.

:D
By texasmr2
Next season will be my first live* GP too. I am going to take my sweetheart with me so I am still thinking which GP will be the best (ehem.. affordable $$). Another issue is deciding which tickets are we going to buy.

I was worried about how was it going to be: foom foom fooom...and wait couple of minutes and fooom fooom foooom... and now knowing another details, so Kangaroo Tv
will be a must.

:D

The most affordable would be the GP of Canada for you and I since we are both in the US. Not sure were you are loacted but your most likely closer to Montreal than I am. I hope to make the '08 race myself but who know's I may just do a pilgrimage to the motherland and hit the factory with an owner/friend.
By darwin dali
GP Canada is very spectator friendly, big screens to follow the race when you're not watching any on-track action in front of you.
By Woodchip
Been to Silverstone twice, and Spain once. Well worth it. I'm currently weighing up if I can afford the £2000 to "pop" down to Oz for the GP in March.

See our F1 related articles too!