FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By FRAFPDD
A thread dedicated to the moments watching f1 where your heart truly sank to your stomach at what you were seeing on screen. We focus on the best times of F1 a lot so thought itd be an interesting thread to give everyone the chance to post their worst times.

Myself: (they're pretty much all Hamilton but until 2009 he was the only driver i supported and therefore obviously appears in most of them)

China 2007- absolutely livid that despite numerous calls from Hamilton the team still didnt pit him, and his tyres were so shot that he couldnt even take the pit lane without going off.

Brazil-2007- worse moment then any other to date. Looked absolutely fine and then his teammate brake tested him to lose a place at the start and the neutral gearbox saga that ruined his championship hopes

Japan-2008- Massa gets overtaken by Hamilton and just punts him off, bad moment kind of went when Massa received a penalty for it and subsequently gained no major points on Hamilton, and rightly so.

Brazil 2008- Vettel takes Hamilton in the final laps and it looks over, couldnt believe events out of his control were gonna cost him two wdc's in brazil.

Australia 2009- the haters are rabid enough and then Hamilton lies to the stewards when he didnt even need to!? nowhere near innocent but definitely coerced into doing it by dave ryan.

Australia 2009- Same race i realised Hamiltons car was nowhere good enough and that this year was gonna be tough for him
Spain 2010- puncture in the worst possible place in the world to crash out, rabid spanish fanboy land, the obscenely loud cheers from the crowd made my blood boil

Italy 2010- one of the only ones on the list that was pure Hamilton fault. I couldnt believe the idiocy of fighting so hard so early for friggin third place, turned the tv off for 20 minutes to calm down before returning to see Button get overtaken by Alonso, and subsequently turned off again. Like spain the second worse place to crash, where the whole crowd hates you, refused to speak to my italian friends for a few days LOL.

Singapore 2010- Webber takes out Hamilton with his self proclaimed "aussie grit" driving style, one gets away scott free and the innocent is the damned. Knew it was over then.

Monaco 2010- Schumacher makes a brilliant move on Alonso and it should have stood, but doesnt.

Monza 2006?- Alonso is penalised for somehow holding up Massa despite being nowhere near him? FIA ferrari bias fears are rife.

Spa 2008- What can i say, absolute dark day for F1 as a sport, wouldnt of been that bad if the coincidental championship challenger and Ferrari driver is gifted a win from nowhere.

Suzuka 1990- still makes me angry when i see Prost lose a well earned championship to a wrongfully vengeful Senna.
That I have witnessed live would be Senna's fatal crash. Even though at the time didnt know just how terminal it was, the body language in the cockpit said it was very serious.
Recently it has to be Hamilton being robbed of his first win at Spa. Thankfully he rectified that injustice by winning there last year. At the time I very nearly gave up following F1 for good.
By vlad
For me, the worst moments are stupid mechanical failures or accidenst where someone who drives well pulls the shortest straw... There have been numerous situations... The last was in Korea last year, when that lucky S.O.*. Alonso recieved a victory on a plate, 'cause Vettel's flawless drive was interupted by engine failure...
There are also samo accidents, like Schumachers, both of Burti's and, for example, the case when Torro Rosso lost both rear wheels...
By f1ea
From what i remember...

- The news Senna had died, that was followed by some kind of general blackout... mute silence.

- Massa blowing his engine in Hungary 2008. Wow, the kid really deserved the win.
- Schumacher blowing his engine in Japan 2006. That was a great race.... a group of us stayed up all night waiting for the race....
- Alonso crashes out of wet Fuji 2007. That was a demoralising crash. Would have won the WDC... and a middle-fingered bye bye to the team.
- Glock allows Lewis by on last lap of Brazil 2008... bummer!!

Plus
- Several other Montoya crashes despite looking strong...
- and many painful Kimi crashes or failures when his Mclaren was made in china.......

Lots of other moments i dont remember anymore
Not been watching f1 for very long, and only been watching seriously for a shorter amount of time.

2009 - Massa's head injury accident, it was clear it was bad, was scared there.
Hakkinen's tears when his car broke down giving Schumacher the win, can't remember more than that.
2010 - Valencia, when I realised how badly Alonso and Massa had been screwed,
Sliverstone 2010 - Alonso doesn't give the damn place back, I couldn't work out why he wouldn't, Kubica broke down anyway and he got caught up in a safety car,
Abu Dhabi 2010 - My heart sunk when they pitted Alonso, why? Even I could tell it was a bad decision.
Schumacher punting off Damon Hill to take the championship.

Senna dying

Schumacher trying to punt off Villeneuve

Lewis China 2007- bald tyres and left out

The ridiculous fine imposed on McLaren to satisfy Mosely's vendetta against Ron Dennis

Montoya leaving F1

Massa having to give win to Alonso

Barichello having to give lots of wins to Schumacher

Damon having that component failure in Hungary that would have been a win for Arrows

Spa-when Lewis was shafted

Alonso blocking Lewis in the pits

Singapore- Webber taking out Lewis

Im sure there are more but those are the ones that spring to mind.
By vlad
Damn, I almost cried when Hill had that malfunction with Arrows... I always liked that team, especially when Joss The Boss was driving!!!
Without doubt watching Senna at Imola in '94.
Watching on live TV, make his last ever movement with his head in the cockpit, before the marshals got there. Will never forget that image.......

Second would be Hakkinen hitting the wall at Adelaide in '95. The image of him eyes wide open with a tracheal pipe on a stretcher was scary.

Third would be Massa, in Hungary '09. The on board footage makes your heart sink. It would've been traumatic to be the team sitting in pitlane watching it happen.
A thread dedicated to the moments watching f1 where your heart truly sank to your stomach at what you were seeing on screen. We focus on the best times of F1 a lot so thought itd be an interesting thread to give everyone the chance to post their worst times.

Unfortunately, I haven't been following F1 for long. I just started back in the spring of 2008. Nothing absolutely horrible has happened in that time. Of course, when there's a particularly nasty-looking wreck I worry for a moment about the driver but then it turns out that he's okay and things continue as normal. As examples, I was worried about Massa when he was struck by the spring and momentarily for Webber when his car went flying last year. Otherwise, my only real rollercoaster was the Brazilian GP at the end of 2008, since by the end of 2008 I had found myself as a Hamilton fan. I was really hoping for him to win the championship and then it looked like it was all over and my heart sank, and then at literally the last seconds of the race it did a 180 and Hamilton won the title and I was thrilled.

The funny thing is, people reference Senna's fatal crash and I suspect that would be a continuing trend for folks that have been following F1 for many years, and I expect it would be no different for me had I been an F1 fan in the early 1990s, but oddly I still have an emotional response to it anyway even though I never actually followed the sport at the time. I'm not sure why I feel such an emotional response to something I had no experience from at all.
By sgh
The senna crash was traumatizing. I remember watching it with my dad, I was about 9 or 10 at the time. I probably wasn't keen enough to understand the severity when it happened, but I remember my dad turning white in the face, which was sort of a double whammy.

I also gotta say, some of the worst moments for me are when tracks are permanently abandoned (at least by F1), or changed. So much history at such places which is in a snap erased and forgotten in a way.

I think it was this year, on the BBC broadcast, they showed the old section of Hockenheim, and you could still see that that area was less grown up. But you know an F1 car will never carve through that forest again. :(

No more Magny Cours, no more A1 ring. It's not that these tracks were favorites of mine (well, Hockenheim was), but the fact that they'll never be driven again, is kinda sad in a way.
Imola 94, the whole week-end. My favourite track and to have two deaths (nearly three) at the same event..... I'm feeling sick thinking about it now.

Gilles Villeneuve 82 Belgium - some of his tussles on track with other drivers are just the greatest moments. It was such a horrible crash.

Hungary '09 Felipe getting hit

Imola '89 - Gerhard Berger. Fire is just so scary.

Finding out that Crashgate was orchestrated by that pr1ck Flavio - I still live in hope that the Singapore authorities will arrest him and charge him with something serious and he gets thrown in jail.

Stepneygate and the realization that my favourite team to compete against had stolen from Ferrari. It was kind of satisfying when there was finally a criminal conviction for what happened, although it's just impossible to take back how much McLaren would have benefited from that. Way more than the fine they had to pay IMO.

Hearing about Kubica's rallying crash
A lot of the worst ones have been already mentioned but I'm surprised Kubica's Canada crash hasn't been, looking at the footage still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand.
By bud
Sennas death upset me the most
Stepneygate and the realization that my favourite team to compete against had stolen from Ferrari. It was kind of satisfying when there was finally a criminal conviction for what happened, although it's just impossible to take back how much McLaren would have benefited from that. Way more than the fine they had to pay IMO.

I disagree on the amount they benefitted. I didn't like that whole Saga because it takes away from a really good car with penalties aside won the constructors title. Which was designed well and truly before Stepney went cookoo!
In terms of racing situations, undoubtedly Kimi leading in Nurburgring and the car breaking with ONE LAP TO GO....and who else is behind, but Mr Lucky again to claim what was never his. :crying:

In terms of general dissapointments, whenever it starts raining heavily and the bloody feed goes out and the TV screen is blank...while the race is on!

See our F1 related articles too!