FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Hi guys, this is my first post here and Monza will be my first Grand Prix, which has been a long time coming. I have 3 day general admission tickets and was wondering if some people would be so kind as to answer a few questions I have before I set off on Thursday.

Firstly, I plan on the Friday to have a good look around the circuit what with all the practice sessions taking place. However I was wondering if people could recommend any good general admissions spots for the race itself. Also is there a circuit map available detailing where general admissions may stand, I have only seen one with the grandstands marked on it.

I am travelling alone and have a few concerns. I need to travel from Milan each day, is it advisable to try and get the earliest possible train to Monza? Also as I am by myself I am concerned about losing my spot on the Sunday if I need to, for example, go to the toilet. So I was wondering if there were any other lone visitors out there who would fancy meeting up on the Sunday and watching each other's space.

Thanks, sorry if these questions have been asked before somewhere else.

Stefan
Hello.

I found this little map on the internet:
(the map is for the 2009 GP, but I don't think there will be many differences to this weekend's one)

As you see the majority of the general admission spaces are in the first half of the lap, although I'm sure there will be small ones towards the Parabolica. (I seem to remember there were some small areas in 2003, when I went there)
Personally, if I were to go, I'd probably choose to sit nearby the Seconda Variante; you might see some overtakings and you'd surely see the cars for a little longer as they have to break rather hard.

If you are not convinced and want to see what's the best spot of all, even in terms of height and closeness to the track, then have a look on friday during the supporting series practices.

Do remember that on Friday you are allowed to sit on the stands!
On Saturday and Sunday the tickets are numbered, but on Friday if you find a nice empty seat.. take it!
You cannot go on the Tribuna Centrale, though (the Central Grandstand, the one on the pits straight)

For the journey, getting the earliest train might be the only thing to do.

Enjoy Monza!! :)
from my experience anywhere is good you generally can see a fair share wherever you sit although busy, at a gp i tend to grab a seat for the morning on a friday and then go off exploring in the afternoon.

traveling from milan is well organised considering italian public transport :D but very busy, if you don't speak italian well the automated ticket machines can be used in english and are pretty easy to use, i cant remember the time of the train i was on but i think generaly on friday saturday sunday they were all very busy as you would imagen.

have fun at monza brilliant race, circuit and place. oh and enjoy milan :P
Thanks for your help guys. I've just been reading some stuff on the internet saying that general admission viewing on the race day is not great. If I get to the circuit on the earliest train, should I get a good place? Also, if it is as bad as reported do you reckon I should go to the lesmo or monza train station?
Hi Stefan,

I went to last years race but since it was announced that Schumacher was coming back i could only afford the race day ticket. From Dublin i got a flight at 7.30am in Milan by 9.30, got a taxi to the Hotel and you get the Subway to the Main Train Station in central Milan.

From there there is free train to Monza but you have to get there before 12!! I got off at the Lesmo stop and walked around to the main gate (had to pick up the tickets). Then just ran through the forest through the F1 village and just nestled at Parabolica. The stands were obviously full but there is stone benches at Parabolica with loads of room.

So I stood up, cracked open a Beer and enjoyed the race! 8-)
Ok, awesome. I arrive in Milan tonight and plan to get to the track as early as possible, so hopefully I will get some good views, at least on friday and saturday. Sunday is just about the atmosphere I guess, can't wait for the track invasion!
Ok, awesome. I arrive in Milan tonight and plan to get to the track as early as possible, so hopefully I will get some good views, at least on friday and saturday. Sunday is just about the atmosphere I guess, can't wait for the track invasion!

the tifosi are a army!! :hehe::rofl:

Picked up a stone from the gravel at Para and then join the celebrations with the Brazilians below the Podium. :)

Then got soaked with beer when Barichello walked on the podium, they were going mental!! :eek:
I went to the 2011 race at Monza and spent ages looking for really good information on getting to the race, where to stand and other handy tips. I couldn't find anything all in one place so I thought I would write about my experience in the hope it would help others. Here's the result:

http://wp.me/p1TvZ2-5

Thanks for posting this... it was an intriguing read and most helpful :thumbup:

I can imagine the first chicane being a bit intense if your anything other than hardcore tifosi :hehe::wink:

See our F1 related articles too!