FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
BMW is expected to make a decision on entering the DTM in the near future, with the manufacturer's board meeting to discuss the matter this week.

The German car maker has been linked with a return to join rivals Mercedes and Audi in the series over the last year, with negotiations revolving around the DTM's proposals for the next generation of technical regulations.

This week's AUTOSPORT magazine reports that a decision is close, with Thomas Betzler, a board member for DTM promoter ITR, saying: "We have presented our concept to BMW and we know that it is being assessed in a positive way.

"We look forward to welcoming BMW back into the DTM soon."

AUTOSPORT understands that teams in the DTM's support championships have been told they are likely to have a stronger package to sell to sponsors in 2011, due to the prestige of BMW joining up.

This would be awesome if they did come into the DTM.
Here in Germany we can watch DTM for free on the "state"-channel.... But I don't watch DTM... am I missing something... anyway, just to watch F1 every "2 weeks" is enough for me. I don't want to spend the whole afternoon in the living room.....
It would be good if it did come about, as an 18 car grid is not great. If BMW equaled Mercedes and Audi then that would take the grid to 27, which I think would be awesome for DTM! Even if they only brought 6 cars, taking the grid to 24 it would be a marked improvement. :)
BMW would be like Opel - not in it for the racing.

How so? Although, the Opel Calibra is a pretty legendary DTM car (along with the old V6 Alfa 155 :wink: ).

I like seeing manufacturers in touring cars, it's completely relevant and necessary for the success of those classes of motorsport - so hopefully BMW will give it a go! Also Audi vs Merc is dull in some ways, and there is the M3 DTM car factor too... :cloud9:
BMW would be like Opel - not in it for the racing.

How so? Although, the Opel Calibra is a pretty legendary DTM car (along with the old V6 Alfa 155 :wink: ).

I like seeing manufacturers in touring cars, it's completely relevant and necessary for the success of those classes of motorsport - so hopefully BMW will give it a go! Also Audi vs Merc is dull in some ways, and there is the M3 DTM car factor too... :cloud9:

For all the great cars BMW, like Opel didn't get in to the sport for the prestige. Sure all companies want to see a return, but BMW just float their efforts in motorsport too much.

See our F1 related articles too!