FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
This story is long but it's worth a read for any WRC fan, I'm including just a snippet here due to the article's length.

How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers

Professional motorsport is a cold, hard place. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can't just build a car in your mom's garage and show up, right? Wrong. One guy did just that. Here's his amazing story.

This is the multifaceted tale of Bill Caswell, a man who bought a crapcan off Craigslist to run against $400,000-plus rally cars in a World Rally Championship race. It is a tale of a guy who had a welder, a bunch of credit cards, and a lot of free time but no real backing or funds. It is a story of a dude who taught himself how to build an FIA-legal roll cage because he wanted to spend the fabrication fee on race tires instead. It's the story of a gearhead who drove a rustbucket to a third-place finish in an FIA-sanctioned event.

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-500-c ... lly-racers
Awesome indeed and the good guys don't always finish last :thumbup: !!

There's a picture half way down the article where I guess the cars are set up at parc ferme and you see his piece of crap bimmer in the front row with all the usual high roller WRC cars in the back row. Classic! really underscores the achievement.
Awesome indeed and the good guys don't always finish last :thumbup: !!

There's a picture half way down the article where I guess the cars are set up at parc ferme and you see his piece of crap bimmer in the front row with all the usual high roller WRC cars in the back row. Classic! really underscores the achievement.

Yeh to get 3rd amonst all that lot is amazing i mean the cars in his class would of been simlar cars.

So hes a good driver and a good mechanic.
Reading it @ Dinner. Really is a tremendous story for people like me who want to compete like that in the near future. Maybe not like that but i would like to be like Ken Block, make a business and basically live life after. He's 42 and is in WRC. Amazing!

Great story. Thanks for the read :cloud9:

See our F1 related articles too!