FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
HI
I have a 3 day ticket to the Silverstone F1 GP :clap:
I also bought tickets for family for qualifying on Saturday.
I have M1 park and ride
We will most likely be staying on North London on Friday night and either there or Northampton on Sat night.
We also have a wedding to get to on Saturday evening (central london).

So:
-how early should we look to get to the Park&Ride location on Saturday? Will there be much traffic once we get off the M1?
-Once Quali is over what time realistically are we looking to get back on the road?
-What events will there be as well as the quali for the family to enjoy on Sat?
-should we just wander around or look to settle in one place - if so where please?
-What time should I look to get to Park&Ride on Sunday please?

Sorry about the barrage of questions but I am very excited and would appreciate the advice!
I cant advice on park and ride, Ive never used it. If your tickets are not grandstand Id aim to be in the track as early as possible on raceday-6 am if you can. Id aim for a good viewing spot and park the chairs there with some people on them and someone else scout round for better places. Quali is less busy, tho i expect numbers will be huge this year with lewis and jens in mcLarens. Once parked i prefer not to move. Ive watched form various places and non have really disappointed. Copse was ace but it was 2003-so anywhere would have been good that year.Maggots/beckets is good for quali-you're a bit further away from the track but they really shift.
Bridge is a favourite of mine but theyre reprofiling it this year and its not the best place if you havent got grandstand. Why dont you camp instaed of faffing around with hotels and cars?
Many thanks.
As I will be on my lonesome on raceday I will try to find my preferred location on quali when family is along.
Yep will try to get there as early as I can on Sunday [but what about on Sat? what time does the fun kick off?]

Camping - I did consider bit but wife doesn't do i'm afraid and we have to get ready for a friend's wedding on Sat too so it would be impractical.
May look to stay with a relative in Northampton...
Id still get there early sat, theres lots to do. GP2 will be on sat. Also best to visit merchandise stalls before it gets manic and the popular stuff can sell out.Its good just being in the atmosphere.
-Once Quali is over what time realistically are we looking to get back on the road?
I wouldn't leave after qualifying. Alot of people usually do and it can be crowded. Besides there are a few more events on after that.
-What events will there be as well as the quali for the family to enjoy on Sat?
The GP2 Feature race, Porsche Supercup quali (to name a few), GP3 may also be involved
-should we just wander around or look to settle in one place - if so where please?
It is more difficult for 2010 as they have changed the layout of the grandstands as well as the circuit, so it is hard to say for sure that the best General admission parts in the past will still be there. As i've said though Maggotts is probably the best place for General admission.

This will clear up any of your park and ride questions:

Saturday

Park and Ride sites are open from 3am on Saturday morning 10 July 2010. First buses will depart for the circuit at 5.30am*. Buses will start return journeys from Silverstone back to the park from 4pm approximately.

Sunday

Park and Ride sites are open from 2am on Sunday morning 11 July 2010. First buses will depart for the circuit at 4.45am with final departure at 10am approximately. Buses will start return journeys 15 minutes after the end of the 2010 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (approximately 2.45pm). The last buses will leave Silverstone at 7.45pm so please allow plenty of time to get back to the bus park. All vehicles must be collected from the Park and Ride by 9pm.

I would try to get to your park and ride areas early as possible if you have only got a general admission ticket. The places are usually taken very quickly. If you had a grandstand ticket then you wouldn't have that problem.
well i went last year and used the park and ride. we arrved at the park and ride about 7am, got a bus t about half past, didnt seem to busy, took roughly 2 hours to travel that 5 miles to the track, travel was insane. Byt the time we got there it was completely packed. walking round the track literally no spaces in any of the banking to sit down. Ended up standing the whole race near a marshalls track entrance just on club corner, and got to see hamiltons donut at the end so really happy with that. dont get me wrong i loved it, the atmosphere is amazing.

im not going this year, but if i go again would definatly be trying to get there earlier, mayeb even that 5.30 am bus would be good, would give you a better chance of getting where you want to be. i didnt go to qualifying or anything so cant help you with that sorry.

hope this helps
With just a quick glance at the thread title I thought it was Virgin F1 asking for advice, which is a reasonable assumption. :hehe:
I would take racechicks advice as she speaks from experience :yes: .

Yeah, she used to be a virgin (I guess) :P:twisted:

It happened to the best of us :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!