FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
By goldstone
I'm hoping to take my wife to our first GP this season, ideally Silverstone but may be able to go to a European one instead. If it is the British GP then I'd probably only be able to go on the Sunday because of the dates. If a different GP then 2 or 3 days would be fine. If I'm able to get tickets for the Sunday at Silverstone has anyone got any advice on what a 1st timer should do? Is taking a car and parking more hassle than it's worth? Are there trains? Where is best for watching from? Are general admission tickets ok or will we not be able to get a decent view anywhere? Thanks in advance if anyone has any opinions on the above or any other good advice for an F1 virgin!
By EwanM
I'm hoping to take my wife to our first GP this season, ideally Silverstone but may be able to go to a European one instead. If it is the British GP then I'd probably only be able to go on the Sunday because of the dates. If a different GP then 2 or 3 days would be fine. If I'm able to get tickets for the Sunday at Silverstone has anyone got any advice on what a 1st timer should do? Is taking a car and parking more hassle than it's worth? Are there trains? Where is best for watching from? Are general admission tickets ok or will we not be able to get a decent view anywhere? Thanks in advance if anyone has any opinions on the above or any other good advice for an F1 virgin!

Silverstone is virtually in the country side and is a distance from either Oxford on one side or Northampton on the other. However you would be able to get a train to one of these places and probably get a bus in on the days. (I know that they did that from Northampton).

Personally the car is the best option. The traffic flow system works fine (as long as your willing to give yourself time) and the car parks are no longer the bog pits that they previously were.

It would depend of course on where you plan to stay for the weekend? Camping is fun and usually you can park your car on site for the weekend, saving you the car park fee for the circuit itself. Most of the car parks are well within walking distance of the main gates.

As for seating, I think that grandstands seats always offer the better views. You also do not have the rush of having to get up and find yourself a spot, afterall a grandstand seat automatically gives you a reserved place. Also on Friday and Saturdays you you are entitled to roam around any grandstand at the circuit (if you have a grandstand ticket of course). Saves having to carry portable seating around with you too.

Don't get me wrong General admission can be good (the maggots/beckkets complex and club corner being the best places to go if you have that type of ticket), but given that they are dramatically changing the circuit layout I cannot guarantee what other areas will be given to general admission. (I'll need to take a look myself lol).
By Jamie

Silverstone is virtually in the country side and is a distance from either Oxford on one side or Northampton on the other. However you would be able to get a train to one of these places and probably get a bus in on the days. (I know that they did that from Northampton).

Personally the car is the best option. The traffic flow system works fine (as long as your willing to give yourself time) and the car parks are no longer the bog pits that they previously were.

It would depend of course on where you plan to stay for the weekend? Camping is fun and usually you can park your car on site for the weekend, saving you the car park fee for the circuit itself. Most of the car parks are well within walking distance of the main gates.

As for seating, I think that grandstands seats always offer the better views. You also do not have the rush of having to get up and find yourself a spot, afterall a grandstand seat automatically gives you a reserved place. Also on Friday and Saturdays you you are entitled to roam around any grandstand at the circuit (if you have a grandstand ticket of course). Saves having to carry portable seating around with you too.

Don't get me wrong General admission can be good (the maggots/beckkets complex and club corner being the best places to go if you have that type of ticket), but given that they are dramatically changing the circuit layout I cannot guarantee what other areas will be given to general admission. (I'll need to take a look myself lol).

I want to go there :thumbdown:
By goldstone
Thanks (EwanM). I'll probably try and stay on the Saturday an hour or so away and drive in on the Sunday morning. Which grandstands offer the best view?
By headless
COPSE
By goldstone
There are Gold tickets left for:

Vale
Club A
Arena A
Luffield A

and Silver tickets left for Farm.

Which of these offer the best positions?
By EwanM
The arena hasn't been used so im not sure.
Luffield would be good.

See our F1 related articles too!