FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Great to see Spa back :)
I like the fact that Germany and Italy will now host only one GP each - although I'm not sure if they will use Nurburgring or Hockenheim for Germany. Not sure which one i would prefer to see on the calendar?

There are five back to back races and Indianapolis will still host the US GP. Fuji will now host the Japanese GP instead of Suzuka - I have to admit I have no clues about this track and how good/bad it is. Anyone know why they decided to move it?

Turkey could be on shaky ground (although I can't see Ecclestone nor the circuit builders allowing it to be removed from the calendar). The FIA is starting an investigation as to why and how Mehmen Ali Talat was invited to present the winner's trophy to Massa. Talat was introduced as "President of the Northen Turkish Republic of Cyprus" (and in fact, this is what TV captions showed him as). Cyrpus is actually an independent country (and has been since 1960).After a turbulent few years, Rauf Denktash declared the north to be independent. He christened this area "The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyrprus". This formation is only recognised by Turkey. The entire island became part of the EU in 2004, although EU rights only apply to the area under the control of the government.

Unsurprisingly, the Cypriot government isn't happy. They have said that the think the F1 display was "an unacceptable and provocative piece of theatre".

The FIA's reaction is that political neutrality is fundamental to its role as the governing body of international motor sport and that it will accept "no compromise or violation of this neutrality".

I think the Turkish sporting authority is stuck beween a rock and hard place - the can't really say no to their government, but then again, you can't really say no to the FIA otherwise you'll lose your race. It's obvious that the act was meant to be provocative. It now remains to be seen whether the FIA will punish Turkey, or whether the commercial side of the sport will win over.....

I quite like the Turkish circuit and it would be a shame to lose it from the calendar, however what the government did was wrong. I suspect the commercial side of the sport will end up winning this one....

Full F1 schedule for 2007:

18 March: Australia (Melbourne)
8 April: Malaysia (Sepang)
15 April: Bahrain (Manama)
13 May: Spain (Barcelona)
27 May: Monaco (Monte Carlo)
10 June: Canada (Montreal)
17 June: United States (Indianapolis)
1 July: France (Magny-Cours)
8 July: United Kingdom (Silverstone)
22 July: Germany (tbc)
5 August: Hungary (Budapest)
26 August: Turkey (Istanbul)
9 September: Italy (Monza)
16 September: Belgium (Spa)
30 September: China (Shanghai)
7 October: Japan (Fuji)
21 October: Brazil (Interlagos)
By Freddie
Yeah, Italy and Germany should only have one race each - I vote for Nurburgring - Hockenheim is rubbish after they amputated half of the circuit

Bloody politics getting mixed up ion our sport - I just LOVE the turkish circuit. It gives us fantastic races, not only in F1. Did anybody watch the Lewis Hamilton show on sunday morning ?
By Evaneoun
I think it's the Nurburgring that's been dropped.
By bud
The German tracks will be alternating yearly! so Hock will be on the schedule still! Its pity about Suzuka i quite like that track!

Yeah Freddie i downloaded the Sprint race of the GP2 Lewis went nuts! was alot of fun to watch
By Stephen
Spa is back on the calendar, which is great. However, reason given for the return of the circuit was 'improvements made to the track'. Rubbish I say, I was there on Monday and it's no different than the last time I raced through Eau Rouge. Same old garages, poor access and crap track drainage - but what a track!!! :twisted:
By certom
how could you say
I like the fact that Germany and Italy will now host only one GP each
?????????????

these are two historic countries of motorsports, Hockenheim and Imola are historic tracks, although the first has been cutted and in the second there are less overtakes than in Monaco!!!
f*** Bahrain and f*** Malaysia, and f*** Bernie and all his money, the spirit of fans here will never be in that places! oh,yeah, and f*** Tilke too!! but the last word hasn't been said, cause Imola could return in 2008, after the renewal of the circuit, which includes the elimination of the variante bassa and a new pit lane...
anyway, i want a championship with the most races possible, and i don't care if Italy and Germany have 2 GPs, because i wouldn't care if GB had 2 Gps, for example Silverstone and Brands Hatch, as it happened in the past!!!
By Selcouth_Feline
Well, there are many countries with two or more excellent tracks, so I don't see why Italy and Germany should be allowed to run two, wheras we aren't ;)
However, it would have been nice if they had replaced those two trakcs with another couple of countries instead of just chopping them out :(
By darwin dali
Imola is not yet out:

Indeed, hinting at Imola's return to Formula One is an unusual four-week gap - between dates for Bahrain and Spain - coinciding with the event's customary April slot.

A definitive calendar will be published in October.

"Only a few days ago, Bernie Ecclestone told the President of (race organiser) Sagis that the race would be held on April 29.
By certom
yeah, this is true, nothing is really clear....but there is too much money around this sport, too many interests...

Selcouth, you say that because of you are not allowed to host two GPs, no one should be allowed to do it? i say that we are lucky because we have (or we HAVE HAD) 2 GPs, and i would be happy for you if you had...
By certom
eheh...no more... :(
By darwin dali
So, Imola could be back on the calendar during that ominous 4 week 'break' in spring - they're holding a meeting in Rome soon.
Turkey could be kicked out for their stupid political maneouvre. A chance for Hockenheim???
By certom
it will be discussed in the parliament in these days, don't know when, in september anyway... strange because in parliament if they talk about sport they talk about soccer...that shitty sport
By Irv the Swerve
i dont like the fact that imola is off the schedule because its the only track that ferrari can always win at

See our F1 related articles too!