FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By madbrad
With age comes a wandering philosopizing mind, and I sometimes inexplicably jump to pondering old drivers. I realized just now how much I miss this guy. It occured to me that he was a better driver than one would think without really analyzing the raw stats. He was a grand prix winner after all. I'm not really saying anything in this thread, it's just that for the first time I thought it unfair that he could only get crappy rides after his successes with Ferrari. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Even if he did have good rides and better results he might still have eventually retired and died testing an Audi. This isn't a what if thread anyway. Don't mind me it's just sort of a thinking out loud thingy.[/i]
By Irv the Swerve
I was just thinknig about him the other day and i didn't even know that he died! :shock:

He was one of those reliable drivers, the Rubihno's, the Coulthard's.

I'm glad that he drove the prancing horse in his career...
By 7UpJordan
If the 1985 Ferrari had the reliability we were so used to seeing from the Schumacher era Ferraris, Alboreto could easily have clinched the title, and it was a pretty sleek looking machine too compared to the "fat" looking cars from that season like the McLaren.
By certom
yeah he was lucky that season as he was constantly in the points, and although he had just one victory he was leading the championship..i don't actually know when and why he did loose the title.. and it's always sad when a driver dies after he retired from a most dangerous series...
By Ron Dennis
I had no idea he was dead!

To be fair he was only a mid-pack driver IMO.
By madbrad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Alboreto

Death
He was killed testing an Audi R8 sports car when he suffered a high-speed tire failure at the Lausitzring in eastern Germany, in April 2001. Alboreto's car spun out of control and overturned on a straight section of the circuit. Police investigated the accident which came during preparations for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which was held in June.
By Ron Dennis
he looked like Mr Bean poor guy

Mr Bean

Alboreto
By texasmr2
R.I.P. Michele. I witnessed some spectacular driving from him it's just to bad the turbo Ferrari had so many reliability issue's.
By 7UpJordan
he looked like Mr Bean poor guy

Mr Bean

Alboreto

Hahahah! I always thought he looked a bit like Mr Bean, did he ever get to drive a mini like Bean's? :lol::lol:

See our F1 related articles too!