FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Hi,

It is my wifes 30th birthday in january next year and I would really like to take her to see the F1 at Monaco as she is a big fan of formua one, however I am only just getting into it this year so I have no idea about how to go about it. Can somebody please tell me when the formula one calender begins and when the races are announced so I could then try to book tickets and accomodation? Any idea how much it would cost to fly to monaco on saturday, stay in a hotel on saturday night, see the race onthe sunday, stay in a hotel on the sunday night and then fly back to gatwick on Monday, also any tips for places that we should go and the best place on the track to try to get tickets for. I only have a maximum of £1500 for everything and this has to be for me, my wife and our 2 year old son to stay and watch the race.

Thanks and sorry for the daft questions
Normally I believe the ticket prices are not released until after the current season ends but I could be wrong. Did you email them so they can contact you when the 2010 ticket sales start??
No I havent emailed them but I imagine they wont have any firm prices this early. I was just looking for an idea from peoples previous experience.

Tony I will look into this for you from people I know who have attended.

tex
I can't say for sure, but to be honest mate i think you'd struggle with your budget here... :(
OK, I think these figures will be in the right sort of ballpark. Obviously I don't have a crystal ball so don't assume this is what you'll end up paying!

Thursday tickets this year were around the £70 mark.
Qualifying tickets about £130-£230
Race-day tickets around the £300-£500 mark.

Price variations dependent on the stand you wanted etc.

If you want to forgo the actual grandstands, you can hire out a local's balcony. The cheapest I can currently find is about
8000€ :eek: Have a check in places like the International Herald Tribune as there are quite often ads in there, as well as any local newspapers in the area.

Hotels - the cheapest I can currently find is got £840 for the three nights over race weekend.

Flights - depends on where you are flying from. From London airports, it's currently about £180 pp.

So in total, you are looking at ballpark figures of about 400 + 840 + 180 + 180 = approx £1600

I'm sure if you did a proper search and were prepared to pay now, or if you were prepared to travel in to Monaco on race day instead of staying near the circuit, you might be able to get better flight & hotel deals. So I think you should just about be able to do the race weekend on your budget :)
Here is the first official reply I have recieved by someone who attended the race this year.

You can buy tickets directly from the ACM (Automobile Club de Monaco) on-line once they become available, usually early December- go to http://www.acm.mc
Prices vary widely by location- there's a BIG difference between sitting perched up on the Rocher (general admission) and having a reserved grandstand seat in the K stands down by the harbor with a view of the giant screen. Last year the latter ran about $900/seat for a three-day ticket. Hope that helps.

tex
OK, I think these figures will be in the right sort of ballpark. Obviously I don't have a crystal ball so don't assume this is what you'll end up paying!

Thursday tickets this year were around the £70 mark.
Qualifying tickets about £130-£230
Race-day tickets around the £300-£500 mark.

Price variations dependent on the stand you wanted etc.

If you want to forgo the actual grandstands, you can hire out a local's balcony. The cheapest I can currently find is about
8000€ :eek: Have a check in places like the International Herald Tribune as there are quite often ads in there, as well as any local newspapers in the area.

Hotels - the cheapest I can currently find is got £840 for the three nights over race weekend.

Flights - depends on where you are flying from. From London airports, it's currently about £180 pp.

So in total, you are looking at ballpark figures of about 400 + 840 + 180 + 180 = approx £1600

I'm sure if you did a proper search and were prepared to pay now, or if you were prepared to travel in to Monaco on race day instead of staying near the circuit, you might be able to get better flight & hotel deals. So I think you should just about be able to do the race weekend on your budget :)

I'm no expert on Monaco, but I think this is a bit low-balling, especially when factoring in all the incidentals such transportation, meals, maybe merchandise, night entertainment, etc., which are rather expensive I would imagine. Also, you forgot that he needs 2 tickets (for his wife and himself) - not sure about the 2 year-old (flight and/or race ticket). So, at least another 400 right there and you're looking at over £2000
I'm no expert on Monaco, but I think this is a bit low-balling, especially when factoring in all the incidentals such transportation, meals, maybe merchandise, night entertainment, etc., which are rather expensive I would imagine. Also, you forgot that he needs 2 tickets (for his wife and himself) - not sure about the 2 year-old (flight and/or race ticket). So, at least another 400 right there and you're looking at over £2000

I really stuffed my maths up didn't I? :boxedin:
As ever, DD is right, it looks like your budget won't be enough :(
for what you'll see in monaco in the grandstands its abit of a rip-off i mean theres not much to watch its more about the atmosphere but unless your loaded your not gonna be able to get into that.

All the proper motorsport fans either rent a balconly or camp on the hills around the circuit so you get a good view.

Silverstone or Donington would be your best bet.

See our F1 related articles too!