FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By RA Dunk
I wouldent mind one of those Utes 8-) , Cant remember what they raced it against over the 1/4 mile some up market Audi if i remember right, Well anyway the Audi got it`s a$$ spanked lol, not bad for a pick up ehh :D
By RA Dunk
Hammond: "Bathurst is a place where every year Ford and Holden fans travel to fight each other... and every so often a race breaks out." :rofl:

yea that had me in stitches as well :hehe:
By EwanM
Hammond: "Bathurst is a place where every year Ford and Holden fans travel to fight each other... and every so often a race breaks out." :rofl:

yea that had me in stitches as well :hehe:

The adverts were the best. Especially the Funeral one and the remake of the 1980s VW one.

Now I usually laugh at the stupidest things, esp the bit in the funeral ad when they showed the pigeon and then redubbed it with a crow
By scotty
Now I usually laugh at the stupidest things, esp the bit in the funeral ad when they showed the pigeon and then redubbed it with a crow

That was AWESOME :rofl:
By bud

:rofl: Whats even bigger news is Fords leading team and defending champions, Team Vodafone Triple8 racing have switched to Holden for 2010! Because Ford dropped funding to the team.... go figure!

but on the origins of the Coupe Utility it appears to be correct

Origin

Subaru Baja: profile view with bed-mounted bike rack. Marketed from 2003–2006 in the USA, Canada and Chile, the Baja featured four-doors and derived from the Subaru Outback platform.
Ford Australia was the first to integrate a cargo area with the bodywork of a passenger car.[1], as the result of a request from a farmers wife in Victoria, in 1935. Ford Australia combined the cab of its newly released Ford Coupé body with a well-type load area fully integrated into the coupé body, producing the first 'Coupé Utilities'.[2] Holden built a Chevrolet ute in 1935, but utes were not sold in America until the 1957 Ford Ranchero. Both types of vehicles were called "utilities" or "utes" for short.
Both the Coupe Utility and the Roadster pickup continued in production, but the improving economy of the mid to late 1930s and the desire for improved comfort saw coupe utility sales climb at the expense of the roadster pickup until, by 1939, the roadster pickup was all but a fading memory. No car maker offered a roadster pickup or ute when car production restarted after World War II.
By the 1980s in North America, the coupé utility began to fall out of favor again with the demise of the Ranchero after 1979, the Volkswagen Caddy, Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp and of the Chevrolet El Camino by 1987.
Subaru offered the Brat in the early 1980s, and the Baja from 2003-2006. General Motors considered bringing a rebadged Holden Ute to the United States in the form of the Pontiac G8 ST in the late 2000s, but the global recession (and GM's ultimate bankruptcy) caused them to cancel it.
The pickup truck, on the other hand, started its life a little earlier and is defined by its separate, removable, well-type 'pickup bed'. This pickup bed does not contact the cabin part of the vehicle, while the ute bed is an integral part of the whole body. Both the Coupé Utility and Closed Cab pickup designs migrated to light truck chassis & these are correctly known respectively as Utility trucks & Pickup trucks. Eventually the pickup design found a natural home on the smaller truck chassis while the ute became entrenched as a passenger car derivitave, although exceptions do apply
By darwin dali
Even the shots of the flowers overlaid with the car traveling.
Or the Deer running from across the road once the Aston goes past. Amazing really.

Al4x running? :rofl:
By Gaz

:rofl: Whats even bigger news is Fords leading team and defending champions, Team Vodafone Triple8 racing have switched to Holden for 2010! Because Ford dropped funding to the team.... go figure!

but on the origins of the Coupe Utility it appears to be correct

Origin

That Vauxhall VXR Bathurst was Basicly a Holden

Not sure which one but it had a HUGE V8 and a Supercharger and i want one.
By welshie
Jezza is leaving Top Gear. Heard rumours for a while, but that last piece with the vantage V12 pretty much confirmed it for me . . . very moving.

Hope I'm wrong tho.
By Gaz
i just googled it and this all came around in 2007 "jermey is leaving!!" there just making a statment about the goverment trying to ban anything thats got an engine bigger than a moped.

Besides on top of this Clarkson himself said they'll be back in november in the News segment.

panic over. :D
By scotty
He IS Top Gear

This, i can remember when i was a kid and he was doing Top Gear with Quentin Wilson and those guys! :yikes: I can't see it happening myself...
By welshie
Top Gear won't finish. It's just whether JC is still there.
By Gaz
Top Gear won't finish. It's just whether JC is still there.

If you see him stop writing for the times or tg mag then yeh.

but otherwise its bs.
By Gilles 27
I'm glad JC didnt' just rabbit on about how amazing the Aston was, he's such a fanboy! I personally struggle to get too excited about Aston Martins, I mean they look nice in a tasteful, modern, clinical kind of way but I think they look dated sooner than their contemporaries and they've never been any good to drive quickly.
The last bit was good though, no ridiculous fanboy antics from JC, and quite poignant I thought.

See our F1 related articles too!