FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Hey guys.. Just signed up

Going to the German GP in July, will be my first GP attended.

Questions I want to ask are, Kangaroo TV, does it come with commentary? Through out the weekend, and can you hear it throughout the grandstands?

Also, I'm wanting to take pics at the event, are you allowed to get up out of your seat and stand by the fences / as close as you can get to the track, or are you only allowed to stay within the grandstand?

Cheers :)

Jason
Only thing I can help you with is standing near the fences. Assuming the German GP is set up in the same way as Silverstone there are stewards who'll hustle you along to your seats. You can't stand by the fence for any sustained period of time, but you'll be fine for going down mid race and taking a couple of snaps. Don't do it at the start because you'll piss everyone off when people have to stand up to let you to your seat. Chances are though your pics will be almost as good from the grandstand and you'll get a better angle on them.
Alright cheers for the reply :)

I think it'll probably be best to take all teh snaps on the pratice sessions? Less people. cars slower, more spaced out etc, are the marshalls more linient on say practice one?

Also I'm pretty sure theres comentary coverage on K TV, I've heard it over on BBC a few times but just not totally sure, was just asking for confimation, maybe someone else can confirm it for me :)

Anyway yeah cheers for replying :yes:
By @leece
I'm so excited! :ahahah: Yep, almost hysterically excited!

I'M GOING TO SILVERSTONE TO WATCH THE 2009 F1 GP!!!! Yay!

Ok, now down to the actual reason for my post.... Will anyone be kind enough to let me know what I should make sure to pack for the day? I've been told that I will need layers of clothing and a waterproof jacket, a picnic, something to sit on and ear protection.

My parents bought me and my hubby the tickets as a Christmas pressie - included is a park and ride coach ticket and then (I think) the cheapest tickets for watching the GP race on Sunday - meaning that we don't have a 'place' booked to stand or sit as such. I think we just get there and find a plot to watch the race from?? :confused:

Any advice or help is welcomed! I'm particularly concerned about the best time to arrive there, best places to stand, what not to miss, and ear protection. Do people really walk around wearing massive head phone type ear protection? Or will a good pair of ear plugs suffice? When I watch F1 on TV I never think to pay any attention to the crowds in the background!

Obviously, when I get there I wanna look as cool as poss 8-) like I go every year and know what I'm doing!!
(If I succeed in looking cool and like I know what I'm doing, then it will be a first!)
By cap-dude
I'm pretty sure your not the only one attending said race. There's a few people here I believe are heading to Silverstone.

Unfortunately Silverstones not so local for me :irked:

But if you want to look in the know, wear a Red Bull hat. All bets are that Red Bull will walk away with the victory at Silverstone. As for seating, I'd always have thought it's better not to be in the grandstands. Personally I don't like the cramped surroundings. I'd rather be in the open watching the cars duke it out.
By @leece
I'm pretty sure your not the only one attending said race. There's a few people here I believe are heading to Silverstone.

Thank goodness for that! Although it would've been nice to have the use of toilets and other facilities all to myself...shame...hey ho...

Thanks for the advice though! I probably won't be wearing a Red Bull cap...however if I have to wake up mega early, I think I will be definitely be drinking out of an aluminium can with the Red Bull logo on!
By EwanM

Woop it is going to be rather awesome.

Ok, now down to the actual reason for my post.... Will anyone be kind enough to let me know what I should make sure to pack for the day? I've been told that I will need layers of clothing and a waterproof jacket, a picnic, something to sit on and ear protection.

Yes I'd insist on the layers of clothing and the waterproof jacket. The Picnic Idea is also a good one because the food at silverstone costs a bomb. At the very least try bring what you can. I'd suggrst waterproof trousers too.

My parents bought me and my hubby the tickets as a Christmas pressie - included is a park and ride coach ticket and then (I think) the cheapest tickets for watching the GP race on Sunday - meaning that we don't have a 'place' booked to stand or sit as such. I think we just get there and find a plot to watch the race from?? :confused:

Yes, you should be ok, but be warned the trek to the various General admission points can be a pain when carrying all that stuff. :( Try to get there as fast as you can and hold the position - especially on race day, because spaces fill up very quickly.

Any advice or help is welcomed! I'm particularly concerned about the best time to arrive there, best places to stand, what not to miss, and ear protection. Do people really walk around wearing massive head phone type ear protection? Or will a good pair of ear plugs suffice? When I watch F1 on TV I never think to pay any attention to the crowds in the background!
No, generally most don't use ear protection - (I don't) :P The magotts/becketts complex is good to watch with a General Admission ticket. Maybe at Farm too?
On the subject of ears, if you aren't hiring kangroo tv bring a portable radio. Silverstone TV is excellent to listen to for the race commentary and coverage.

Obviously, when I get there I wanna look as cool as poss 8-) like I go every year and know what I'm doing!!
(If I succeed in looking cool and like I know what I'm doing, then it will be a first!)

Hope that provides some help to you. If you have anything else to ask go ahead - Im sure other members on this board and myself will continue to chip in ideas of past experiences.

have a good time anyways :thumbup:
By Gaz
kangaroo tv is excellent you get the 5 live commentary with David Croft and Ant Davidson and you can really see whats going on at the pit stops and such.

you can also tune into the team radios also i believe now although when i at the German GP in 2008 it was just snippets.

its about £20 to hire for the weekend but its well worth it.
By EwanM
kangaroo tv is excellent you get the 5 live commentary with David Croft and Ant Davidson and you can really see whats going on at the pit stops and such.

you can also tune into the team radios also i believe now although when i at the German GP in 2008 it was just snippets.

LOL its sitting at 75 euros. Man the credit crunch has well put the price up of it.!
By Gaz

LOL its sitting at 75 euros. Man the credit crunch has well put the price up of it.!

WHAT?! :eek: it was 30-40 Euro last year, jeez £65 is alot might be worth just getting it for the race day.
By 7UpJordan
£65!!!! :eek:

This is going to be an expensive month for me...
By texasmr2
£65!!!! :eek:

This is going to be an expensive month for me...

We only live once brotha so enjoy life to the fullest and make sacrifices for the things you love or you may regret it :wink: .
By emma

Haha, that just about describes me, as well! I'm going this year, too, and it'll be my first GP!

I have general admission tickets, too - but I have three day tickets, so planning on using Friday to scout out a good spot (complete with big-screen TV and toilet facilities nearby, lol) and then get up mega early Sunday and making sure no-one gets my place :D. The boyfriend is not looking forward to the early start :twisted: .
I'm literally packing EVERYTHING. Wellies, rain coats, sun-cream (juuuuust in case, you never know), food, and, most importantly, my Red Bull flag!
By Ste L
i pack wet's and stuff... but whats not needed, stay's in the car, and i just get it when or if i need it

only think i take is my camera gear/backpack

and 2 chair's on the saturday & sunday
Last edited by Ste L on 27 May 09, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!