FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
BBC is just the best! cant see it staying there unfortunately

(just merged this thread with a similar topic)
Last edited by racechick on 03 Jul 11, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.Reason: merging of threads
The BBC coverage is just as bad as it was on ITV. I would welcome the change of channel. I might not have to sit with the TV on mute andlisten to the Radio 5 commentary, which is far superior to that of BBC 1. Maybe if the ditched Martin Brundle, Eddie Jordan and yon lanky twit the coverage would improve. The BBC could save a fotune by not having the hour of boring dross before the race. A quick summary of qualifying and any F1 news would suffice.

Channel 5 seems to be MrE's preferred choice.
The BBC coverage is just as bad as it was on ITV. I would welcome the change of channel. I might not have to sit with the TV on mute andlisten to the Radio 5 commentary, which is far superior to that of BBC 1. Maybe if the ditched Martin Brundle, Eddie Jordan and yon lanky twit the coverage would improve. The BBC could save a fotune by not having the hour of boring dross before the race. A quick summary of qualifying and any F1 news would suffice.

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

:fishslap:

:rofl:

What do you mean :yikes::yikes::yikes: and :fishslap: ?

You can tell the users who don't yet pay for their own TV license. Seeing as I am forced to pay £145 for the privlidge of watching my own TV I want the one thing I watch on BBC 1 to be pretty damn good, which it ain't (the coverage, not the racing - I'll let the BBC of with the racing, it's beyond their control).

You can tell the users who don't yet pay for their own TV license. Seeing as I am forced to pay £145 for the privlidge of watching my own TV I want the one thing I watch on BBC 1 to be pretty damn good, which it ain't (the coverage, not the racing - I'll let the BBC of with the racing, it's beyond their control).

The license fee isn't there for your own personal enjoyment of the bbc, it's more of a TV tax.

So you'd rather it went to Channel 5, where we would be subjected to poor (if any) build-up, dire commentary and tons of advert breaks? The BBC coverage is the best I've seen since I started watching, without a doubt. Yes, it could still be improved, but they do so much more than ITV ever did and it's well-worth paying the licence fee for it.
The license fee isn't there for your own personal enjoyment of the bbc, it's more of a TV tax.

True but it is extremely poor value for money.

So you'd rather it went to Channel 5, where we would be subjected to poor (if any) build-up, dire commentary and tons of advert breaks? The BBC coverage is the best I've seen since I started watching, without a doubt. Yes, it could still be improved, but they do so much more than ITV ever did and it's well-worth paying the licence fee for it.

The build-up is pointless, I rarely watch it. You don't know if the commentary will be dire, it can't be worse than what they have now. Do you know if there will be masses of adverts? The football manages with all the adverts before and after with a break at half time so why not have that for the F1? There are as many in replays during the race it is pretty difficult to miss any of the coverage.

They ,maybe do more than ITV, but sadly most of it is sheer rubbish so I can live without it.
The build-up is pointless, I rarely watch it. You don't know if the commentary will be dire, it can't be worse than what they have now. Do you know if there will be masses of adverts? The football manages with all the adverts before and after with a break at half time so why not have that for the F1? There are as many in replays during the race it is pretty difficult to miss any of the coverage.

They ,maybe do more than ITV, but sadly most of it is sheer rubbish so I can live without it.

With regards to the commentary being dire, I've found that, generally, any 5-produced programming has been a joke. Unlike football, Formula One doesn't have an interval in-between halves, so it's much harder to fit in a scheduled advert break. This means that the channel would have to fit them in throughout the whole race, something which caused problems with ITV (Imola 2005, anyone?). I would much rather not have any, but even ads similar to those we had on ITV would be preferable to what is seen with the IRL or cricket on Sky, which is just ridiculous: there's almost as much in the way of ads as there is action!

As for the rest, I really can't agree, personally. The BBC have done some very good in-depth features on regulations, technical aspects of cars and how teams operate over a race weekend, which have been insightful. Track guides with the drivers are enjoyable as they allow us to see how they approach the different corners, what they can do to gain or lose time and whether or not there are any benefits to attacking in different ways. Interviews with drivers are also nice to see, as it helps to convey the emotion behind their words far better than printed media does. I'll gladly admit that some build-up features have been quite pointless, and that Eddie Jordan serves little purpose, but overall the quality of the programme is high.

Commentary is getting better with every race, Martin Brundle is finding himself more comfortable in the lead commentator's role and DC is very quick to spot things on-track and pick up on things that Martin misses. My one criticism is his Red Bull bias, but he is still under contract with them, so I wouldn't expect him to be totally free from it. Coverage of practice sessions is far better than it has ever been; until 2008, we didn't even get that. ITV's 2008 coverage of practice was just a camera feed. You got no commentary, no analysis of what was going on etc. and it was quite boring. With David Croft, Maurice Hamilton, Anthony Davidson and Karun Chandhok, you get a very laid-back but informative approach to the sessions, which is perfect for a lower-pressure part of the weekend where the action is less significant.

Finally, having any real kind of post-race discussion (in the form of the forum) is appreciated as it allows time for people to form proper opinions and go over the events of the race in detail, as well as bring us more interviews from drivers that we otherwise wouldn't have got.

It's something that is always possible to be improved on, but the BBC's F1 package is very good and by far the best we've ever been given.

OMG, the BBC is the best coverage we've ever had!!!! Did you not watch during the ITV days? Some shrivelled up old farts like Jim Rosenthal, Tony Jardine and Steve Rider, along with James Allen's caterwauling commentary which is completely biased towards Jenson Button was NOTHING compared to the great line up at the BBC. There's no advert breaks either. There's a skip-load more passion involved, and is miles more fan friendly, what with the red-button and tweeting and what-not.

You honestly think Channels 4 and 5 would be up to scratch with F1? :eek:

OMG, the BBC is the best coverage we've ever had!!!! Did you not watch during the ITV days? Some shrivelled up old farts like Jim Rosenthal, Tony Jardine and Steve Rider, along with James Allen's caterwauling commentary which was completely biased towards Jenson Button, was NOTHING compared to the great line up at the BBC. There's no advert breaks either. There's a skip-load more passion involved, and is miles more fan friendly, what with the red-button and tweeting and what-not.

OMG, the BBC is the best coverage we've ever had!!!! Did you not watch during the ITV days? Some shrivelled up old farts like Jim Rosenthal, Tony Jardine and Steve Rider, along with James Allen's caterwauling commentary which is completely biased towards Jenson Button was NOTHING compared to the great line up at the BBC. There's no advert breaks either. There's a skip-load more passion involved, and is miles more fan friendly, what with the red-button and tweeting and what-not.

Exactly, the ITV coverage was terrible. The BBC 1 line up isn't much better. You have Martin Brundle who won't shut up about the Brit's and hardly lets Coulthard get a word in edgeways, Jake Humphery adds nothing and Eddie Jordan (who also suffers from verbal skitters) makes me want to shoot the TV!

The BBC coverage would be greatly improved if they would provide the commentary optionson the red button at every race, as they said they would. I am fed up of commentary that is a few seconds ahead of what I am seeing on the TV!

I would wait and see what Channel 4 and 5 offer if the are interested. I assume they will have to at least match what is shown on the BBC.

Exactly, the ITV coverage was terrible. The BBC 1 line up isn't much better. You have Martin Brundle who won't shut up about the Brit's and hardly lets Coulthard get a word in edgeways, Jake Humphery adds nothing and Eddie Jordan (who also suffers from verbal skitters) makes me want to shoot the TV!

The BBC coverage would be greatly improved if they would provide the commentary optionson the red button at every race, as they said they would. I am fed up of commentary that is a few seconds ahead of what I am seeing on the TV!

I would wait and see what Channel 4 and 5 offer if the are interested. I assume they will have to at least match what is shown on the BBC.

It would be fascinating to see what Channels 4 and 5 did with F1, but I just can't help but feel that the BBC is the best. I love their coverage. We'll just have to disagree on that one. :wink::blah:
It would be fascinating to see what Channels 4 and 5 did with F1, but I just can't help but feel that the BBC is the best. I love their coverage. We'll just have to disagree on that one. :wink::blah:

Aye, best to agree to disagree on this one until we know what, if anything, is on offer from Channel 4 and/or 5. :thumbup:

Aye, best to agree to disagree on this one until we know what, if anything, is on offer from Channel 4 and/or 5. :thumbup:

:):wink:

See our F1 related articles too!