According to the Italian media, Fernando Alonso met with Italian prosecutors yesterday to discuss the Ferrari-McLaren espionage saga.
It is understood that the Spaniard met with magistrate Giuseppe Tibis who is in charge of the criminal investigation in Italy surrounding former Ferrari employee Nigel Stepney. Alonso himself is not believed to be under investigation and was merely invited to provide information voluntarily on the emails which he sent and received. Alonso is understood to have said that at the time the emails were sent, he was not aware that any laws had been broken.
Meanwhile, Alonso is believed to have met with Briatore and Symonds on the Saturday of the Japanese Grand Prix to discuss contracts. The Renault pair are said to be keen to offer the current world champion a two or three year contract starting next season.