Nurburgring to host 2013 F1 race?

Nurburgring officials have reached an agreement with Bernie Ecclestone to host the German grand prix as scheduled in July – that is the claim of the German newspapers Allgemeine Zeitung and Rhein Zeitung, following a long-running ‘on again, off again’ saga surrounding the fortunes of the financially beleaguered Nurburgring.

Mere hours before the latest reports, which were confirmed by Rhineland-Palatinate state spokeswoman Monika Fuhr, F1 chief executive Ecclestone had admitted the Nurburgring’s future was still clouded.

“It’s all a bit messy,” he was quoted by the Daily Mail. “At the moment the race is on, off, on, off, but we’re doing our best to get it sorted.”

SID news agency said a race will definitely be held at the Nurburgring in July, although “it is unclear whether it will be (called) the German or the European grand prix”.

“It’s all a little bit political,” said Ecclestone, referring to the naming dispute between the Nurburgring-linked body AvD, and ADAC, a rival Hockenheim-linked German automobile club.

One report said ADAC had even submitted a proposal to host the race at the Nurburgring.

“It’s all a bit messy with different political groups fighting each other,” said Ecclestone.

SID reported that the news about the Nurburgring’s July 7 race will be announced at a press conference on Thursday.

Kolner Express newspaper said “government sources” had confirmed the media reports.

“This is good news for the region,” said state spokeswoman Fuhr.

Source:GMM

Nurburgring confident of 2013 German GP

Nurburgring officials say they were “confident” after meeting late last week in London with Bernie Ecclestone.

Earlier, it was believed the circuit’s hopes of organising next year’s German grand prix had been dashed by financial problems and a breakdown in talks. But, back at the circuit on Friday, officials Jorg Lindner and Kai Richter said their Thursday meeting with F1 chief executive Ecclestone had left them feeling “confident”, according to the German language Spox.

The report said the final calendar for the 2013 season will be published by F1’s governing body this week.

Source:GMM

Circuit says ‘no more F1’ at the Nurburgring

The Nurburgring’s chances of staging the German grand prix as scheduled next year have receded yet further.

Bernie Ecclestone was already in talks with Hockenheim about replacing the mid-July event next year, while the crisis-struck Nurburgring is grappling with an insolvency process. Still, there was a chance the Nurburging would pull through.

However, multiple German reports – including in the daily Rhein and Allgemeine newspapers – have now revealed that negotiations between the existing management and the managers of the insolvency have broken down. A circuit spokesman confirmed to the DPA news agency that there will indeed be “no more formula one” at the Nurburgring, as talks with Bernie Ecclestone had also ended.

But Pietro Nuvolini, the spokesman for the financial recovery experts in charge of the Nurburgring situation, insisted: “If the tenants want to return to the negotiating table, our door is not closed.”

Source:GMM

Ecclestone: Nurburgring not on 2013 F1 calendar yet

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed the Nurburgring is unlikely to host the German grand prix next year.

The circuit was listed on the leaked provisional calendar that was doing the rounds in the Singapore paddock last weekend, but the Nurburgring’s precarious financial situation has also been well documented. F1 chief executive Ecclestone confirmed: “We are just looking at Hockenheim every year.

“We have got no contract with the Nurburgring but we are talking. It would be like starting from scratch,” he told the Financial Times Deutschland.

A Nurburgring spokesman confirmed the talks with Ecclestone and said officials are “in good spirits”. But, just two days before the FIA needs to ratify a 2013 calendar at the World Motor Sport Council, it is surprising the Nurburging officials are so bullish.

“If it is not supported by the region it is going to be difficult at the minute,” said Ecclestone. “We are pretty close to the final deadline,” he added.

Hockenheim ready for 2013 in case of Nurburgring demise

Hockenheim is ready to step in at short notice should the Nurburgring be unable to organise next year’s German grand prix.

The Nurburgring has been given only a conditional date on the draft 2013 schedule, due to the circuit’s well-documented financial problems. According to the alternating scheme in place between Germany’s two grand prix hosts, Hockenheim – having hosted this year’s race in the country – is not officially scheduled to return to the calendar until 2014.

But with the Nurburgring grappling with its financial problems, Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler said he is open to thinking about a 2013 event “in the right financial conditions”.

“At the moment, we wait,” he is quoted by the DAPD news agency. “Should there be a request, we would consider it.”

Seiler said he hopes the Nurburgring’s race can survive.

“It would be a real shame for them, in their difficult situation, to lose the grand prix,” he nobly said.

Source:GMM

Ecclestone still in talks with Nurburgring officials

Bernie Ecclestone has kept German formula one fans’ hopes alive by revealing ongoing talks with Nurburgring race organisers.

With the embattled circuit facing insolvency ahead of its scheduled return to the 2013 calendar, it emerged recently that the local Rhineland-Palatinate state had decided to keep the Nurburgring afloat. But subsequent news that the state aid will be investigated by the European Commission has renewed fears the Nurburgring will not feature on next year’s schedule.

F1 chief executive Ecclestone, however, says he remains in talks with race officials.

“I am currently in negotiations with the officials at the Nurburgring,” he is quoted as saying in an interview with Saturday’s Rhein-Zeitung newspaper.

Ecclestone said the objective is to see the “race at the ‘Ring in 2013”. He would not comment on the likely success of the talks.

Source:GMM

Nurburgring cannot afford Ecclestone’s fee

A Nurburgring official has admitted the track is unable to host an F1 race next season.

As per the existing German GP alternating scheme with Hockenheim, the Nurburgring was due to return to the sport’s calendar in 2013. Hwoever the circuit has succumbed to its financial problems, recently commencing an insolvency process.

The future looked brighter last week, when the governing Rhineland-Palatinate state agreed to guarantee a loan so that the Nurburgring can service its debts.

Nurburgring Automotive GmbH (NAG) chief Jorg Lindner said: “I am very optimistic that Formula One will be going to the Nurburgring next year.”

He said talks with Bernie Ecclestone would take place over the summer.

“We don’t want to lose any of the racetracks, and we need to keep the race in Germany,” said F1’s chief executive, Ecclestone. “We will do our best.”

But the Nurburgring’s development chief, Thomas Schmidt, has dealt the situation a renewed blow by revealing that Ecclestone would have to dramatically reduce or even forgo F1’s race sanctioning fee.

Schmidt told DPA news agency that, in the “current situation”, the Nurburgring cannot afford to pay that sort of money.

“If Ecclestone accepts an offer without this typical fee, we can certainly keep Formula One,” he said.

Otherwise, “We simply don’t have the money”, Schmidt admitted.

He said he is “confident” a solution will ultimately be found, but warned that an F1 race is “not absolutely necessary” for the Nurburgring’s survival.

Source:GMM

Lindner: It is possible Ecclestone could buy Nurburgring

Nurburgring boss Jorg Lindner has confirmed it is “possible” Bernie Ecclestone will buy the embattled German grand prix venue.

Die Rheinpfalz newspaper reported on Thursday that, with the circuit having entered an insolvency process, F1’s chief executive was looking into buying the Nurburgring.

“I want to meet the people from the Nurburgring,” Ecclestone told Bild newspaper this week. “We want to see if we can help them.”

When asked about Ecclestone’s reported interest in buying the fabled track, Nurburgring Automotive GmbH chief Lindner said: “I can not judge the economic interests of Bernie Ecclestone.

“But anything is possible,” he is quoted by the German news agency SID.

Lindner is also considering heading a management-buyout of the beleaguered circuit, meaning he insists the prospect of a 2013 race at the Nurburgring is “very realistic”. But he said the direction must be clear within the “next four to six weeks”. And “The marketing for 2013 would need to start soon,” Lindner also cautioned.

Ecclestone could buy Nurburgring track

According to news reports, Bernie Ecclestone is thinking of buying the Nurburgring circuit.

Die Rheinpfalz newspaper has reported that Ecclestone would not say how much he would pay for the circuit, whose future is in the air after entering an insolvency process last week. However the report did clarify that Ecclestone would not be willing to organise the race at his own expense, nor forego the sanctioning fee for 2013, as was previously reported in the German media.

Earlier on Thursday, it was reported that another option for the Nurburgring is a management buyout, with its current debts far outweighing the value of the famous track.

Nurburgring Automotive GmbH chief Jorg Lindner said: “We have developed a concept for the Formula One race at the Nurburgring that does not require a cash grant from the state.”

Source:GMM

Nurburgring management eyes F1 rescue plan

The operators of the Nurburgring are considering buying the embattled circuit. The development comes after the German grand prix host last week commenced an insolvency process, which has endangered the future of the venue’s biennial F1 race. One solution could be for the circuit’s existing management to propose a buyout, amid reports the Nurburgring’s current debts actually outweigh its overall value.

“If it is on the table, we would think about whether and how we would participate in the tender,” Nurburgring Automotive GmbH chief Jorg Lindner is quoted by the German news agency SID.

He also revealed: “We have developed a concept for the Formula One race at the Nurburgring that does not require a cash grant from the state.”

Source:GMM