Rosberg extends Mercedes contract

Mercedes has ended speculation about Nico Rosberg’s future by announcing the 26-year-old has extended his contract.

Rumours had been swirling over Rosberg’s future in the sport with some predicting that he might be heading to Ferrari next season to replace Felipe Massa despite Ferrari and Rosberg strenuously denying any link. Rosberg, who was already contracted to race alongside Michael Schumacher next season, has now inked a “multi year” extension to include 2013 “and beyond”, the Brackley based team said on Thursday.

“I have every confidence that the team will provide me with a winning car,” said Rosberg.

Team boss Ross Brawn commented, “We know that he is a driver who can win races and championships.”

It was reported in the German press on Wednesday that Schumacher is also set to extend his current contract to include 2013.

“In Michael, Nico has the most successful racing driver in the history of the sport as his teammate, which is a perfect combination for him as well as for our team,” said Mercedes-Benz’s Norbert Haug on Thursday.

Source:GMM